Flash designs app

Ok, this might be the stupidest idea I've ever had, but I'll post it anyway:

What if there was an app allowing people to 'try on' tattoo designs? Like taking a picture of themselves or part of their body and blending a flash design with it to see yourself with a tattoo. The art would be available to buy once you've decided which design you like most. I know it sounds odd and childish but think about it. People would have a chance to get to know the flash creators and buy their favourite design and then take it to their trusted tattoo artist to get it done. Others might simply just browse through flash art or post the 'how would I look with a tattoo' pictures. Is this like totally insane idea or would you consider selling your art in this way? I know people can already find a lot of designs online and print them without paying but I wouldn't personally do that. If there was an app like that I'd be playing with it all the time, though....

Thoughts?

@Ursula covered it well.

Part of going to a good tattooer and shop is giving the tattooer "your" idea and having them tweak it to what will work. It is part of what you pay for. I'll paraphrase one of the best things I've heard said, "don't try to stuff ten pounds of something into what will only hold a few pounds". With that being said no one except a tattooer can draw a tattoo that will work except the one drawing and tattooing it. No internet site/app will ever replace or help a customer like a good tattooer and shop!

When we were thinking about starting this site we looked around a bunch at what was out there and nothing accurately captured what a real tattoo experience is by a good tattooer and/or shop which is one of the many reasons we started this site. All the other "tattoo sites" were just leading people in the desert providing mirages which then made customers think the wrong things. Many of the best tattooers are within arms reach to get tattooed by in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable price but you gotta want it.

that's usually how it goes with any of those flash finder things. best thing is always just to go to a shop. if you really can't decide if it's a good idea to get a tattoo or not, then it's probably not.

Agreed. All those flash sites do is misdirect people on what is a good design. If anything you can get an idea based off of it, but I think its always best to have the artist come up with the tattoo design. Most artist work better when you don't put them in a "box".

But I can see how an app where you can place flash on a body and play around with it, as a "game", would be interesting to people. But to use it as a reference for getting tattoos, might not work as good.

Just my opinion

I was thinking more in the likes of Behance network combined with Society 6, where I could browse good flash designs and look through artists profiles. If I liked something I could buy it, see how it looks on me. I can agree with @Lochlan that there is nothing that could replace going to a tattoo shop but having access to some really good design options beforehand would be great in my humble opinion. And yes, you are right that the flash available online in useless and that is another reason why I would like real artists to make their designs available to browse through by tattoo lovers. Although taking into consideration the average persons tastes and copyright issues it might not work in a real world. Shame though. I'd still like to have this app if it existed.

Just realised that the whole idea could be simplified by just saying 'I wish I could buy single designs off flash sheets featured on Tattoo Elite International' without buying a whole book. What would I do with a book anyway?...but hell I want to own some of those and get them done! And I realise it is exactly the opposite to what a tattoo artist wants to hear but I like some of the designs exactly as they are and wouldn't want to have them customised too much. Does it make sense? And I know where I'd like to have them.... I know for certain I will never get a tattoo in the USA as no one will give me a visa, but I still want to have a design made by Tim Lehi...so yeah, I want this to happen....though I know it never will...

There's a reason you can't just buy one single good tattoo design without buying the whole book or flash set. It's because people who aren't tattooers or artists don't need to own this stuff. The tattooers out there, who are actually doing good work, don't need to sell designs one by one to people who are just going to take that design and get a fucking awful version by their local scratcher. The great tattooers of our time don't need the measly 2 cents per digital design sold through web sites like tattoodles. That's why all the online flash is pretty bad for the most part. Do a google search for "Sailor Jerry flash" and you'll get hundreds of designs for free that are way better than the shit you have to pay for on these websites.

It's like Lochlan said, the great tattooers of today are out there, and many of them are easy to find, easy to get tattooed by, and many of them don't charge any more than most other tattooers.

Also, if you're going to a good tattooer, who knows their shit, all you have to do is name the person who did the flash you saw on Tattoo Elite and they should know what you're talking about. Chances are they might own the book 'your' design is in.

Or, go on Tattoo Elite, bring up the picture of the design, take a screen capture, print it out and there ya go.

As far as apps go, the only respectable tattoo shop I know of that had an app was New York Adorned. I think it was called tattoo of the day or something. Not sure if it still exists or what the content was like.

p.s. I don't know about Tim's specific travel schedule but you can always contact him to see if he will be tattooing in a country closer to you at a convention or something. I do know that he books up usually very far in advance at home and at conventions.

Also, I'm pretty sure if you like in the UK you do not need a visa to enter the USA as a visitor. Unless you are a criminal, then you won't be allowed.

I don't know anything about the UK but how close in Manchester to London? Some member of the forum work at Frith Street tattoo in London and they do amazing work.

Do a google search for "Sailor Jerry flash" and you'll get hundreds of designs for free that are way better than the shit you have to pay for on these websites.

Or, go on Tattoo Elite, bring up the picture of the design, take a screen capture, print it out and there ya go.

Also, I'm pretty sure if you like in the UK you do not need a visa to enter the USA as a visitor. Unless you are a criminal, then you won't be allowed.

I don't know anything about the UK but how close in Manchester to London? Some member of the forum work at Frith Street tattoo in London and they do amazing work.

The first two quote exactly what I will never do. Maybe I'm crazy but there is just something so wrong with that...

Second, I'm Eastern European who emigrated to the UK, no US consulat will give me a visa as I have 'no ties to the country' so they'll think I am planning to stay in the US illegally, meaning forever (and it is not exaggeration, it is true).

And yes, Frith Street is first on my list.

And I get your point, all of your points. Mostly agree. Still want to own flash designs as a customer, tattoo enthusiast. And I want to pay for them, not steal the designs off the net.

The first two quote exactly what I will never do. Maybe I'm crazy but there is just something so wrong with that...

Second, I'm Eastern European who emigrated to the UK, no US consulat will give me a visa as I have 'no ties to the country' so they'll think I am planning to stay in the US illegally, meaning forever (and it is not exaggeration, it is true).

And yes, Frith Street is first on my list.

And I get your point, all of your points. Mostly agree. Still want to own flash designs as a customer, tattoo enthusiast. And I want to pay for them, not steal the designs off the net.

I know all about the ties to your country. it took me almost 2 years to get my american visa to come and live here. it's a lot of bullshit.

if you're wanting a design so you can go get it tattooed there's nothing wrong with getting something off the internet. I didn't mean copy something online and start making prints or some bullshit. That's not how I choose my tattoos and it's not what I do but it is what thousands of tattoo customers do. It's a way to show someone what you want without trying to explain it in words.

The only way to "own" these designs is to buy the books and prints you claim you have no use for. It confuses me why you think you need to buy a design to be able to get it tattooed on you. If you want to own flash designs as a customer go on tattoo elite and buy a set of flash??

The only way to "own" these designs is to buy the books and prints you claim you have no use for. It confuses me why you think you need to buy a design to be able to get it tattooed on you. If you want to own flash designs as a customer go on tattoo elite and buy a set of flash??

Well, I thought about buying whole books, yeah. But to buy them all is a bit much. And yeah, I don't know why I want them so much. But I want the real thing- to buy from the artist who created the design. I suppose I am the only person in the world with a desire like that....can't blame you for being confused, I confuse the hell out of myself sometimes....

Well, I thought about buying whole books, yeah. But to buy them all is a bit much. And yeah, I don't know why I want them so much. But I want the real thing- to buy from the artist who created the design. I suppose I am the only person in the world with a desire like that....can't blame you for being confused, I confuse the hell out of myself sometimes....

if you want the 'real thing' from the artist who created it, go find them and get it tattooed by them then..

if you want the 'real thing' from the artist who created it, go find them and get it tattooed by them then..

@Anisya Sailor Jerry is dead so he probably won't care if you use his stuff, but you can buy a lot of it through Hardymarks if you must and you will be supporting the people that carried on his shop and legacy after his death. If you think about a 50 page book is going to have at least 100 designs and usually more like 200-300 designs. So even if you pay $100 you are paying less than $1 per design. You probably won't find rates like that trying to shop ala carte.

But really none of that is necessary just to get a tattoo. For one if you are getting tattooed by Richie Clarke he is more than able to create you a traditional tattoo design as good as any flash out there. Most tattooers also have flash books in their reference library, so you might spend all this time trying to acquire something you didn't even need to.

Thanks @Gregor.

As we are on the subject of North West UK, any opinions about Forever True Tattoo studio in Liverpool? forevertruetattoo.co.uk

One of my friends loves this guy and gets regular tattoos from him so I'm planning to pay them a visit too.

Ritchie Clark does super solid traditional and some awesome patriotic stuff ,this may not be your thing but I'm a foreigner and I'd wear it.