Job/Work realted tattoos.

I'm a professional astronomer in his mid-50s, thinking about getting a modest-sized first/only

(work-related) tattoo. Probably on upper outside arm where even T-shirt would mainly cover it up.

I wanted to do something related to the Apollo program, since that's what inspired me as a kid.

I've come up with a design based on the Apollo 8 logo, I was wondering if people thought

this was practical. I expect some people will suggest much more dramatic designs,

but that's not what I want. :D

Thanks!

I'm not a tattooer, but I think that would be a tattooable design. I don't know how dramatic you're willing to go, but I would think that a more faithful rendering of the Apollo 8 mission badge would look better as a tattoo than your simplified rendering of it though.

I'm not a tattooer, but I think that would be a tattooable design. I don't know how dramatic you're willing to go, but I would think that a more faithful rendering of the Apollo 8 mission badge would look better as a tattoo than your simplified rendering of it though.

Thanks.

I actually deliberately simplified it to make it less like the original logo. Since I was only participating as "voyeur" I didn't want to claim the patch as my own. The simplified version is also like a binary-star system which is what I do work on. I also added a tiny Sputnik 1 at the lower right to make it more international. But I may be over-thinking this...

I'm a bookseller and may get a book related tattoo one day. A lot of literary tattoos are sort of terrible, though.

A lot of literary tattoos are terrible because people are far too concerned with the literariness of them and not enough with actual tattoo design. I think there are a lot of ways of doing literary tattoos that are great and are probably overlooked by most people wanting literary tattoos...the scholarly skull or any permutation on that design is always great, you could look at ex libris bookplates for ideas, I can't find any reference images from a really quick google search but I am certain there are some Mucha or other Art Nouveau drawings that would fit the criteria. In general, I think too many people who want "meaningful" tattoos don't care enough about aesthetics and get crappy tattoos because of it.

Here's my book tattoo done by Seth Wood. It's the Necronomicon, pretty obviously.

seth_wood_tattoo_-_session_2_019_thumb.jpg

I had a literary tattoo idea the other day for Alan Garner's book "Red Shift" - I'm not big on wordy tattoos, but I think you could do something nice with the motif from that book ("not really now not any more") and the castle on Mow Cop in Cheshire, where the book takes place. Sort of in the vein of Ron Wells's recent R'lyeh tattoo, maybe. The problem with a lot of literary tattoos seems to be: too many words, and an image that's really obvious. Just show-offy and gross. Ultimately I can't really imagine wanting something as potentially transient as a favorite book tattoo - something that's a cool visual nod to love of books probably would be better.

I'm loving Seth Wood right now and am thinking about when I can commit to a sleeve w/him.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of changing careers, and as long as it works out (archaeology isn't the easiest area to get into grad school for, let alone find work in), I'm saving my right arm for classical archaeology related tattoos. And I'll probably go ahead and throw some stuff on there anyway, because I love it so much, but it would be nice if it did actually match what I want to eventually do.

I guess military would classify as work-related. I have my dolphins and SSBN patrol pin from the 70's on my chest. Don't want a particle accelerator, which is what I've herded since getting out of the Navy (although the atomic orbits are part of the patrol pin symbol).