Colour Ink on Dark Skin

Currancy

I am a warm brown complexion, and got my first colour tattoos over 10 years ago in Brampton, ON. I distinctly remember Chris, the tattoo artist, telling me I couldn't use orange or yellow, because it wouldn't show. I have a teal (bluish green) clover and a red fox, and both of them the colours show perfectly.

My brother who is the same complexion as me, has a full chest piece, upper arms, and back piece, using virtually all bright colours, except orange. His does have a little yellow in one, but its a very small section.

My next piece is a large floral piece, and I intend to use colours in it.

Would you say that you are darker or lighter skin toned than my wife? Her pic is on page 2 of this thread. And thanks for the input.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll chime in but we would need to see pics of you. Your wife looks light enough to take color though. Just would have to work with the artist and discuss what options would be best. I see plenty of light skin to medium tone black people with nice color ink.

I'm on the other side of the spectrum. I'm dark as hell, about 3-4 shades darker than your wife. Gotta love that West African blood. I've never even considered anything but black/gray for that very reason. I just can't fathom putting a considerable amount of color in any of my tattoos because my skin is so dark. Think Akon's skin tone. My mom is black but most hispanic people have a similar or darker skin tone than her. My dad is the opposite he's extremely dark skinned. Even though they're both "black" they would have WAY different options.

Also there's a difference between getting a tattoo with color highlights or getting a tattoo that is mainly color. There's a lot of factors that come into play really. You'll just have to trust the artist you're dealing with and be patient. Be aware that you may have to compromise on what you want your design to look like. Your options are definitely limited. You may have to accept that your ink will be more 'subtle' than someone who has fairer skin but unless you're super duper black you should still have a range of colors you can work with. IMO your wife should be fine for incorporating color just judging from that pic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I've done lots of full color tattoos on darker skin, it does have a lot to do with not only how dark you are, but also weather you have a warm or cool complexion.

Speaking to a friend who is an expert in make-up and a professional stylist -

This gets tricky for some ethnic groups like Indians (myself) and mixed race / african-american.

Speaking to a friend who is an expert in make-As you can have a mix of a cool/warm skin tone and a different over tone and under tone !!!! This can lead to a neutral tone.

She mentioned that the darkest of dark people will general have a cool skin tone (this is of course in the makeup world, don't know how that translates into tattoo dyes and ink).

As much as I'd love to get some vibrant coloured japanese sleeve's I think I'm going to thave to stick to black and gray thanks to my skin tone (whatever it is!)

• 1 month later...

I'm on the other side of the spectrum. I'm dark as hell, about 3-4 shades darker than your wife. Gotta love that West African blood. I've never even considered anything but black/gray for that very reason.

Just my 2¢ - I think a dark dark complexion with lots of heavy black tattooing looks REALLY neat. As much as I enjoy being almost vampire-pale, I'm still jealous that I'll never have that look. Like a black-on-black t-shirt, but infinitely cooler.

• 2 weeks later...
Just my 2¢ - I think a dark dark complexion with lots of heavy black tattooing looks REALLY neat. As much as I enjoy being almost vampire-pale, I'm still jealous that I'll never have that look. Like a black-on-black t-shirt, but infinitely cooler.

I've not heard many people say that. That makes me a feel a bit better.

I've only had 1 person comment that they like tattoos on very dark skin more. My friend was saying he liked how subtle my tattoos looked and how you couldn't see the details until you were up close. It's definitely a slightly more subtle look than the colorful ink but I do like it. I think the uniform black/gray coverage looks extra classy too. The grass always is greener though right?

• 4 weeks later...