Lochlan

I am not a motorcycle guy but a lot of my friends are and have noticed a few LSTers as well so thought I would share this article my friend, Eric Ahlquist, took the pictures for:

http://www.bikeexif.com/ducati-supersport-custom?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Bikeexif+%28Bike+EXIF%29

WALT SIEGL DUCATI CUSTOM

If there’s a middle ground between the reliability of a modern bike and the charisma of a classic motorcycle, it’s occupied by guys like Walt Siegl. Walt is a master craftsman who gives vintage machinery a new lease of life, and if something isn’t quite the way he wants it, he’s got the skills to make it himself in his New Hampshire workshop.

According to Walt, “The owner of this bike already has a couple of late model Ducatis, and wanted another princess from Italy—but with classic curves and low maintenance.” Although this bike looks like a resto-mod to the untutored eye, it’s effectively a ground-up custom. Old school craftsmanship just oozes from every weld. The custom trellis frame is built from 0.65 chrome moly—TIG welded and heat stress relieved—with a 24-degree rake. (The design is based on the iconic bevel frames.) At the front, fully adjustable Showa forks lead to Ducati trees, custom risers and custom bars. At the back, Walt has selected a stock 900SS swing arm and shock body, but fitted an Öhlins spring for better damping. He’s also modified the rear wheel spacing to accommodate a late-model cush drive.

The engine is from a 1994 900SS, upgraded from 904 to 944cc with a big bore kit. Performance gets a further boost from 39mm flat slide Mikuni carbs, with custom manifolds and gorgeous polished Gianelli mufflers. The engine covers, painted cases and cylinders are polished to match.

Walt built a custom tank and tail—painted by Nate Weiner—and got the custom seat covered by Kevin Rothe. European Cycle Services supplied a wiring harness, allowing Walt to position the electronics under the tail. Up front are a Motogadget tachometer and a Monster headlight on a custom bracket; at the back is a genuine 70s CEV taillight.

If this bike whets your whistle, Walt can build something similar for you: he tells us he’ll be offering “a limited series of air-cooled customs with Ducati engines by spring 2011, similar to this bike.” The price will be in the low 30s; if you have a bit more to spend, you’ll be able to specify an ‘R’ model priced in the low 40s, with carbon fiber bodywork and full Öhlins suspension. Tempted? Check this retro Ducati racebike and radical custom Harley Sportster for more examples of Walt’s work. [images by Eric Ahlquist.]

If you want to see more of his work and maybe hire him, here's his site:

http://www.ericahlquist.com/

that bike looks awesome and sounds impressive, but then again i'm just getting into motorcycles so what do i know. i'm currently looking at used honda rebels with a whopping engine of 250cc! (please note my sarcasm)

heard from several short female riders that they're a great starter bike.

on another note, has anyone heard of Tank (the brand)? i saw one on craigslist earlier this week and was curious about it, but couldn't find out any real information about the company.

• 7 months later...

I'm glad I searched, because I was going to start a thread on this subject:). My interest in tattoos AND motorcycles grew through being involved in the traditional hot rod and custom scene. My friends that helped me with my car ('62 Impala) were heavily tattooed and it got me asking questions. I sold the car and I've had my '78 CB750 for about 3 years now. I've done alot of work to it and pretty much riding it as is for now:

IMG_1898.jpg

Dean, that molded tank is awesome!

• 7 months later...
Looks like you got a CB200 tank on there. I just started to ride last April and got a couple little 200s myself. Pics below...

That's the tank. I had the idea for the seat first and was original going to go with a Yammy dirt track tank when I found the 200 tank on ebay for a good price. I'm planning on getting the rear end hooped, LED sparto tailight and building a better/flatter seat for it soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I love motorcycles and have been riding since I was 10. Here's some pics of my '46 knucklehead. I'm also almost done with a 05 buell project. Hopefully the pics will come up here.

Thats some interesting pain...cool bike though

• 3 weeks later...

Here's mine.

2629_1083525582341_1652416672_21083.jpg

When I was first pursuing an apprenticeship, I talked to one of the artist's at the best shop around. He invited me over to his place where we talked about it, mostly over his old Triumph. I drove him around for bits and pieces he needed to fix it up and by the end of the day, he had given me tips on presenting my portfolio of drawings and said he'd put in a good word for me...not schmoozing, just an organic conversation...then after all his wrenching and swearing, he kick started that bike. The look and sound had me hooked and hanging around at the shop after that when he'd pull up...I had to have an old Triumph. As it turned out, unbeknownst to me, he was moving. I was apprenticed to take his place.

Having married young, there was never any money for extras (or three meals some days) but I worked hard for years, doing my best to be good to tattooing and it rewarded me. When I found this 68 at the right price, I jumped on it and when I see my bike in front of the shop, I feel like it came full circle.

Here's mine.

2629_1083525582341_1652416672_21083.jpg

When I was first pursuing an apprenticeship, I talked to one of the artist's at the best shop around. He invited me over to his place where we talked about it, mostly over his old Triumph. I drove him around for bits and pieces he needed to fix it up and by the end of the day, he had given me tips on presenting my portfolio of drawings and said he'd put in a good word for me...not schmoozing, just an organic conversation...then after all his wrenching and swearing, he kick started that bike. The look and sound had me hooked and hanging around at the shop after that when he'd pull up...I had to have an old Triumph. As it turned out, unbeknownst to me, he was moving. I was apprenticed to take his place.

Having married young, there was never any money for extras (or three meals some days) but I worked hard for years, doing my best to be good to tattooing and it rewarded me. When I found this 68 at the right price, I jumped on it and when I see my bike in front of the shop, I feel like it came full circle.

Cool bike. I have a Norton Featherbed in the basement I have been trying to build. I have a buddy trying to sell me a BSA Rocket 3 engine to put in it...I don't know the first thing about building a British CAFE bike, but I have a feeling I am gonna have to figure it out pretty soon.

Cool bike. I have a Norton Featherbed in the basement I have been trying to build. I have a buddy trying to sell me a BSA Rocket 3 engine to put in it...I don't know the first thing about building a British CAFE bike, but I have a feeling I am gonna have to figure it out pretty soon.

Nice! Those featherbed frames are so roomy you can drop just about anything into them. I'd love to build up a proper cafe racer...but then those low bars and rear sets are the last thing my back needs. When you get it started, drop by britbike.com. There's a lot of knowledge on that board...then post pics!

I just came across this thread. I'm taking the MSF course this weekend, i'm really excited. I am looking at used Honda Shadows in the 600cc range for my first bike.

I always wanted to ride...my ex-wife was so adamently against it I never seriously considered it...but then again, she was against a lot of fun stuff.

:p

I just came across this thread. I'm taking the MSF course this weekend, i'm really excited. I am looking at used Honda Shadows in the 600cc range for my first bike.

I always wanted to ride...my ex-wife was so adamently against it I never seriously considered it...but then again, she was against a lot of fun stuff.

My first bike was a Honda Shadow. I have nothing bad to say about it. It was a great starter bike.

what weekend? the 7th and 8th? which location? oh wait you probably meant today and sunday. i think im confused on what day of the week it is lol

what weekend? the 7th and 8th? which location? oh wait you probably meant today and sunday. i think im confused on what day of the week it is lol

Yes! Today was the first time I ever had a motorcycle out of first gear. FUCKING AWESOME. Can't wait to practice practice practice! Really fun day. Can't wait for tomorow!

• 2 years later...