Upside Down/Inverted Crosses And Inadvertently Offensive Tattoos?

I've seen a few of them at college and around town lately and I am wondering if the people know what message that sends? I've always associated the inverted cross with anti-Christianity, Satanism in particular. Until I had read on this message board that people will request "crosses that are facing them" I never thought of that as a reason for having an upside down cross tattoo. The only frame of reference I have for that tattoo would be somebody getting a swastika with the justification that it is for good luck and good health. Maybe they are Buddhist or something? Pretty much nobody is going to see a swastika tattoo and think "good luck charm."

perhaps they're super into Catholocism, since it's actually supposed to be the cross of St. Peter... he was crucified upside down, which some say he requested since he felt he was unworthy of crucifixion in the same fashion as Jesus. if you know your history of religious symbolism, it's amusing when people try to be "satanic" or something to that effect, when they're really displaying a symbol of humility to Christ. an upside down crucifix (cross with Jesus) has the meaning they're looking for.

and i've not seen any upside down crosses in my area as part of the upside-down tattoo epidemic. as said before, they tend to know what they're doing (or trying to do) with that one. as far as swastikas, if they're done in or surrounded by things that give away their intent (be it Buddhist, Native America, or any of multitude of religions that use it), they're much more likely to go down smooth.

Right, certainly people get St. peter's cross on occasion for St. Peter and inverted crosses for its anti Christian or metal sentiments...but the op is talking specifically about people that get it "facing them"...in their heads it's not inverted at all. Usually. It seems to be girls, not unlike script words on the wrist or forearm...the difference is, when you see "faith" written upside-down, you know it says "faith" and that it's upside-down. It strikes me as odd that people getting crosses in places that are visible and readable to the public get them in such an easily misinterpreted way though.

...as far as swastikas, if they're done in or surrounded by things that give away their intent (be it Buddhist, Native America, or any of multitude of religions that use it), they're much more likely to go down smooth.

True. Context is everything and you either have to disambiguate or prepare for people to not "get it".

You said that a lot better than I did, Abellve. After reading around the forums it seems that a Cross tattoo doesn't really mean somebody is a Christian and in many cases might mean the opposite. Just seems to be such a classic and enduring tattoo design. I suppose I am messing up, too. It isn't like every time somebody gets a sparrow or swallow tattoo that the traveled around the world on a boat or got released from prison!

It's interesting that this was brought up. I've got a fairly narrow spot in the middle of my chest left to fill and have considered a heavy metal/satanic(ish) cross there. My inspiration is in trying to keep tattoos at least a bit scary. Tattoos used to be, and still are to some extent, a middle finger to the world. It's all about being to each his own, and as was stated before there are no doubt people(maybe a lot of them) that couldn't give a shit less what religious people think of their tattoos.

There's actually a really nice inverted cross chest piece on Alexander Grim's Instagram profile. I'm not sure if it's the stereotypical satanic reference, but I'm going to guess it's more in reference to St. Peter...cuz well, he's located in St. Petersburg. It's kind of medieval with a dragon framing it.

I've no idea how to post an Instagram pic to this forum but his profile is: alexandergrim

I wonder how many of the (intentionally) inverse crosses are placed on upper arms/thighs/chests where they are covered up so you can be silently anti-. If you really want to freak out the squares, get it tattooed on your forehead. That'll show 'em!

LaVeyian Satanism is so misunderstood. I definitely hold some of it's tenants dear to me as a moral code.

Whatever, do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law...

Its a bit like objectivism with some revenge thrown in right ? Too much Ayn Rand influence for my liking.

LaVeyian Satanism is so misunderstood. I definitely hold some of it's tenants dear to me as a moral code.

Whatever, do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law...

That's actually Crowley by way of Rabelais, not LaVey. Moreover, that quote is super misused/misunderstood, by "what thou wilt" Crowley was referring to the Thelemic concept of one's "True Will" or your "calling." So in essence, what that quote really means is "Find/follow your path," not "Do whatever you want."

@Perez, Right, I was aware that it was a Crowley quote, I was just throwing in a few more sentiments from that side of things. I totally understand that I used it in context with LaVey, so I understand the need to address it. I tend to agree, also, with your interpretation of that line...

i (VERY RECENTLY) talked a friend of mine out of getting an upside-down cross on his face right below his eye. i told him it would look a little too gangster. ha ha. really i just thought he'd look like a dufus.

I saw a dude get the nazi ss on his thumb a couple days ago. He's pretty heavily tattooed including his face. It did look bad ass but I would never get something like that. Nazi shit is a little too far for me.

I don't currently have any super offensive stuff like that. I do however own these pants which get me all kinds of crazy looks. 0c618a0a8eeb11e1ab011231381052c0_7.jpg