Healed Tattoo Swollen

MadeIndelible

I got the tattoo back in October of last year, and it is all healed of course, but certain parts started getting swollen today. The tattoo is on the whole front of my thigh, and an area of about 4 square inches is swollen. It's not red or itchy, though, and the swollen area is in the shape of the tattoo, so it's got to be related to the tattoo. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, before I go to the doctor or anything. I was thinking it might be an allergic reaction, but that seems odd as I have had the tattoo for over 5 months with no symptoms. The tattoo was also a little dry, so I applied some lotion, but the swelling hasn't gone down. Thoughts?

Free dermatology advice is what your searching for whether ya know it or not,but that's OK, tattooers often know more about the afflictions in tattoos than the local dermatologist.

With that said, let me state that there are pigments coming into countries form other countries that are not entirely sound, why would China care about cheap tattoo pigments when they don't seem to care about the paint they spay on kids toys.

Anyhow, I don't think this is the case for you, mainly because it took this much time to appear and you had no initial reaction during and after the healing. I "suspect" that you have recently been outside in the Springtime season when the suns rays are closer to the Earth than any other time of the year and the pigments can react to that and become "puffy", your saying that it's not itchy and irritating tells me that it's not a "rejection" of the skin. I have witnessed this with some of the import pigments received off places like EBay. I may also be a "mild" rejection but I lean towards the sun diagnosis.

So, I would have to say without being a bonified doctor that, breath easy and wait it out as I feel that the puffy area's will subside in time, this area of time will probably be as much as 6 weeks and if it does persist and more importantly become irritating, first consult the shop that executed the tattoo and if you don't feel satisfied with their advice then see your dermatologist. Be cautious of what they recommend to do though and consult LST before committing to something that sounds drastic as some will recommend procedure's based on the quality of insurance you might have.

Keep us up to date on your progress/recovery as there are very knowledgeable people here on this site. Also, it would be good for a you to at least call the place ya got from for input and ya never know, they may need to change up on what they are usein and need to know.

Good luck

I have a few that flare up every now and then. Especially if i get a bug bite near it. It usually goes away within 1 hour to one day. I'm sure you'll be fine. If it keeps up for more than a few days get it looked at I guess.

Day by day I hope it improves. Old Doc Webb said "In times when your broke, ya can't eat it or pawn it but it's always gonna be there to share the times with you". We just don't like it when it stands up! Ha!

Thanks for the update Boodah!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for the advice i have been experiencing similar with the red in a tattoo on my forearm and have been unsure/worried on the cause.

Another question on swollen tattoos, i have recently (yesterday) got a new tattoo on my inner bicep with another appointment about 12 hours away for my elbow. My upper arm is extremely swollen and extends onto my elbow slightly. Will this affect in any way the tattoo im scheduled to get in anyway?

• 2 weeks later...