Tom Gabel is actually a woman on the inside.

Tight-Lines

Time for me to become the reactionary right wing this-motherfucker-doesn't-even-have-a-tattoo-yet douchebag...

That stuff is really gross to me. It crosses a line that other sexual fetishes don't for me. It bothers me in a way that homosexuality/lesbianism and transvetism doesn't.

It just grosses me out. And to do this to the woman you married? Come on! That is totally wrong!

Wait...you don't have any tattoos? That just grosses me out. It crosses a line.

If his wife doesn't mind, well, that's pretty much the end of the story.

I grew up with a guy, a real badass gangbanger, ended up going into the Marines, came out, really a rough piece of bidness.

Then one day he sent me a pic of himself in a wig and a formal, and announced that he was a man trapped in a woman's body. A few years later, he did the Thailand trip and made it official.

She's still a badass, and can throw down with the best of them if need be, but also every bit the Lady when left alone. Who am I to judge?

It ain't my trip, and I don't understand it, but hey-there it is.

One thing I would like to point out is that there is no group of people who are as judgemental as those who pride themselves on their open minds. I don't agree with Hunter, but hey-it's his opinion, and he's got a right to it just as much as anyone else has a right to theirs.

But as we say round here, "never trust a guy with a naked face and no tattoos!"

One thing I would like to point out is that there is no group of people who are as judgemental as those who pride themselves on their open minds.

i'll admit it up front... i am as close minded as anyone you can imagine, when it comes to tolerating ignorance, predjudice, and/or bigotry of any kind. if someone thinks getting a sex change is dangerous, it's no different to them thinking it's dangerous to marry a person of another race/nationality, or dangerous to associate with someone of a different religious background (because, of course, they're a heathen), or even dangerous to get tattoo (which obvoiusly always leads to a life of crime, crippling addiction, and rejection of any sense of good).

however, as long as someone isn't coming from a place of misguided, uneducated ignorance and/or hate, i'm more open minded than just about anyone you'll meet.

i'll admit it up front... i am as close minded as anyone you can imagine, when it comes to tolerating ignorance, predjudice, and/or bigotry of any kind. if someone thinks getting a sex change is dangerous, it's no different to them thinking it's dangerous to marry a person of another race/nationality, or dangerous to associate with someone of a different religious background (because, of course, they're a heathen), or even dangerous to get tattoo (which obvoiusly always leads to a life of crime, crippling addiction, and rejection of any sense of good).

however, as long as someone isn't coming from a place of misguided, uneducated ignorance and/or hate, i'm more open minded than just about anyone you'll meet.

You are taking what I said a bit far. Let me try it this way...

I live near Madison, Wisconsin, which is about as "liberal" as a place can be. Thing is, if you don't gt in line with whatever the partei line is, you're obviously a dangerous person.

My one and only point is that Hunter has a right to his opinion, whether or not anyone feels that that opinion is valid.

And just a note, the person I mentioned who had the sex-change operation is my cousin...and my friend.

We don't all have to think alike, just as we don't all have to be tattooed alike. We just have to recognize the rights of others to think as they wish, as long as they aren't interfering with anyone elses rights.

You are taking what I said a bit far. Let me try it this way...

I live near Madison, Wisconsin, which is about as "liberal" as a place can be. Thing is, if you don't gt in line with whatever the partei line is, you're obviously a dangerous person.

My one and only point is that Hunter has a right to his opinion, whether or not anyone feels that that opinion is valid.

And just a note, the person I mentioned who had the sex-change operation is my cousin...and my friend.

We don't all have to think alike, just as we don't all have to be tattooed alike. We just have to recognize the rights of others to think as they wish, as long as they aren't interfering with anyone elses rights.

i hope you didn't interpret my response as attacking you. i have no issue with you, actually, and respect your ability to allow others to be, even if you don't understand or even necessarily support their decisions. and, i do see your point. i have no issue with anyone having an opinion.

however, i've been surrounded by enough people with the same viewpoint and way of phrasing it as Hunter... especially referring to someone's wish in their private life as "dangerous"... to know that a mindset of that ilk is truly dangerous. at that point, it is very easy to progress from opinion and personal feeling to infringement of others' rights. ask a homosexual person in North Carolina how he feels about respecting others' opinons on his "dangerous" way of life. when there are enough loud, scared voices to drown out the minority who just wants to live, THAT is no longer an opinion, but wide spread prejudice.

You're appalled by me but an overwhelming majority of the entire world would reject a married man having a sex change operation. Put it to a Gallup poll and see how the cards come down.

If I'm close-minded I believe that at least on this issue the majority of the people in this thread are so "open-minded" that they've let dangerous nonsense into their heads.

I won't press the issue or "troll" or anything like that. But I just felt I needed to get my thoughts on the matter out.

1. most of the entire world are a bunch of fucking assholes. life experience has proven that to me.

2. i could care less what someone ive never met, never cared to meet, and would never listen to does. to each there own. you want your dick, cool. you don't, cool.

3. i want pics when they are done. i dig it.

I lived in Gainesville for years, did a good bit of growing up there. I remember Against Me! when it was just Tom and Kevin. I knew him from around but we were never "friends." However, our mutual friend Cody posted on the subject on facebook quite eloquently and I figured I'd share it here. I hope he won't mind.

"About Tommy and Laura...I knew Tom when he was barely old enough to drink in a bar and we had a lot in common. We liked a lot of the same people, music, and cars. We shared friends. We were even the first two people to graduate from the dignity project in G'ville. You might say we crossed paths on the road many times (and we did). I wouldn't say we were close, but I called him a friend. I have always sensed something distant, and sad in him when we talked. I could never quite put my finger on it and and it bothered me. I guess I assumed it was just his way. When I saw him a month ago on the Revival Tour it was still there...more so I thought. So when I read today about Tom's choice to become a woman, I felt so happy and excited for her. I hope when I meet this new girl, Laura, that all the sadness and distance is gone and that for the first time I will meet the person that lies within. Not a different person. But a person free from the sadness and torment that she must have been holding onto for so long. I hope for her all the happiness in the world (the world owes her a little extra, in my opinion, for making people like her hide behind masks).

She will forever have my support and friendship."

Eh, I changed my mind. Doesn't really bother me. I flip flop on this issue a lot.

Anyhow, did anybody else think of what other musicians would change their names to if they had a sex change operation?

Here goes nothing

Demi Kilmister

Tonya Araya

Charlize Benante

And......

Justin Bieber

The only thing I think is crazy about the whole Tom/Laura thing is how frequently it's happening in the punk community lately. Keith from Life of Agony is now Mina Caputo and Mike Kirsch from Fuel/Torches To Rome/Navio Forge/Sawhorse/Bread And Circuits/etc etc is now Sarah Kirsch.

The gay bashing stuff was from the 1980s and 1990s when he was a belligerent asshole who attacked fans every now again. Hanging around with Bad Brains didn't really make him look like a GLAAD member, either.

I thought the gay bashing rumor was nearly as persistent and prevalent as the Rollins-is-Gay thing.

I'm just going to mention Henrietta Collins to get this back on topic.