Conventions.......Just don't seem the same!

I am writing because the Baltimore Convention is this weekend and I am really not excited about it in the least! I will probably go tomorrow night for about 2 hours just to say hi to people only because it is my hometown convention and I want to see if there is any decent art I can pick up but like I said....not excited about the convention....only about seeing a few people I don't see too often!

Now...Troy runs some really good shows so that's not it....and I was stoked about Philly because there were a few people there I wanted to get tattooed by.....BUT I used to want to go see my friends at shows....say hi.....buy some flash or art....and then hang out even if I didn't get tattooed! Now it seems....for me at least....the vibe is different and I am not as stoked about going!

I find myself more interested in wanting to travel to people's shops to be tattooed anymore....that just seems to have a cooler vibe for me!

I was just wondering what is everyone's thought on this was? (artist or enthusiast)

Agreed. I was never into conventions, I only went a few times to see people I would never get to see otherwise. I enjoy art and tattoos best with one like-minded individual at a time. The convention scene is not far dissimilar to the stereotypical biker scene, which I am also not into even though I love riding my Harley by myself or with one or two really close friends.

Tattoo conventions similar to the biker scene?

I don't know about all that, all I know is that I have some insane appointments lined up for the next couple of California conventions with people that I couldn't otherwise get tattooed by, especially as soon as I am. I'm working on an appointment with a guy that doesn't even take appointments right now and that's only possible because of this Convention....

I agree with Bunny kind of. There's still some good ones going on though here and there. The Rochester convention is usually really great and the ones I've been to in Texas always seem fun, but that has more to do with Oliver and his awesome after parties.

I think it's just that the general public is attending conventions a lot more in the last ten years. Especially the last 5. For people like me who go to conventions to sell artwork, it's great. I still sell 90% to tattooers but those few 'regular' non tattooed people who buy stuff make a difference.

I feel like most convention guys (the person putting on the convention) now a days are not tattooers and not tattooed people. They are the same people who throw the bridal shows in the spring and the boat shows in the summer and the hunting show and RV shows and home shows and all those other conventions that happen. Those guys are more concerned about how many people come through the door and buy a weekend or day pass. I went to a convention where people were being charged $45 to get in for the weekend. $45 fucking dollars. $45 DOLLARS FOR A GOD DAMN CONVENTION!!!!! It hurt the people inside trying to make money on art/tattoos for sure. It was the convention Scott mentions in the Valerie interview where they both say how fucking dead it was. The only saving grace was like Scott and Valerie said, the after parties and that Lucero played one of the afternoons. Half the convention wasn't even tattoos. It was BMX, Skateboards, Hair dressers, clothing companies, beauty pageants, food/drink vendors, booths selling raffle tickets to win cars, it also had a bike show section.

Anyways, as far as me going to conventions, Rochester and the Bay Area one that Taki puts on are the top of the list.

Because I live so far North I go to the Montreal Convention and I havent been to a lot of conventions but I really like this one. Yes its fucking crowded and has some annoying folks but the people who go are great tattooers and Montreal is a great city IMO. I really need to start going to rochester convention each year...I missed it this year because I got tattooed a week before but next year I gotta go. I dont know, I have fun but I sure as shit wouldnt go to them all the time. Its better for me to look forward to 1 a year and jam pack a few tattoos in the convention weekend and party.

.....all I know is that I have some insane appointments lined up for the next couple of California conventions with people that I couldn't otherwise get tattooed by, especially as soon as I am. I'm working on an appointment with a guy that doesn't even take appointments right now and that's only possible because of this Convention....

And this is one of the only reasons I went to the Philly Convention this year!

There were a few artists there i wanted to be tattooed by....unfortunately it was so large that there were actually people there I would have also liked to have picked something up from that I didn't even know were there....lmao!

Maybe it is just that there is no one at the Baltimore convention i am stoked on being tattooed by.....maybe it is because I have gotten a taste again of traveling to people shops and have been having such an awesome time doing that....or maybe it's just because the whole climate of conventions has changed over the last 5-7 years since the "Ink" TV shows have been on!

I have heard a lot of great things about the Montreal show by tattoo artists!

They were apparently impressed with how it was run as well as the venue!

im a big fan of tattooing up in canada, ive never done the montreal convention but i do the calgary one. ill be at baltimore this weekend also your should come by and say hi :)

Had the chance to go to the convention they have here in Tokyo last year.... was disappointed with it, really no opportunity to get tattooed by anyone. The tattooers that were there were only doing large pieces to show case their work. I wanted to enjoy it but I just couldn't, a very strange vibe going on. Everybody staying in their click that the politics of Japanese tattooing says to stay with.

I wish tattoo summit was still going on!

I've been spoiled by the State of Grace convention. There aren't many other places you can go to see that caliber of tattoo artists at work and selling goodies. I have to agree with prior posts about conventions being a great place to get work by tattooers you wouldn't normally have a chance to get tattooed by.

I've been to a few other conventions and they all have a different vibe... it really depends on what you're into. If you've got nothin' better going on, they can be a cool place to just look at people's work and chill out for a day. I try to know what to expect beforehand, based on the list of artists and vendors... then base my attendance, excitement, and vibe on that.

im a big fan of tattooing up in canada, ive never done the montreal convention but i do the calgary one. ill be at baltimore this weekend also your should come by and say hi :)

If I go it will be tomorrow evening Guy!

Look for me....I have half of my head shaved and a pink snow lion tattooed on it....ha ha ha!

I will keep an eye out for your booth for sure....it's gonna be weird with it at the convention center this year!

As an ancient guy, I've seen the tattooing "scene" go from sailors, bikers, and cons to yuppies, buppies, and everyone else. And that's kool, but it's major different to me.

I've had the chance to go to some conventions, but passed on them. I'm not into crowd scenes, and for me, tattooing has always been about a connection betwixt me and the person putting the needles to me. I just couldn't walk up to a booth and sit down for a piece, no matter how famous or hip the tattoo artist was.

I wanted to get a tattoo at Wat Bang Phra near Bangkok a few years back, something I had wanted to do for quite awhile. got there, got in line, and left.

Oh, I watched for a few hours, but somehow, even though the vibe was excellent, and the work was a real trip, the idea of sharing the needle and ink with, oh, maybe a thousand other people in a country where the HIV rate is about 4% of the population convinced me to pass.

It was the ultimate tattoo convention, but what can I say, I'm just an old-fashioned country boy.

I've always enjoyed the Philly convention for the things it is, and the things it isn't (ie, THE BEST SHIT SHOW ON EARTH). Richmond Convention is always hit or miss. I like seeing the people I know. I don't like seeing the people I do not know. As they say, things ebb and flow...who knows what things will be like five years from now.

Coleridge said it best:

“The fair breeze blew,

The white foam flew,

And the forrow followed free.

We were the first to ever burst into the silent sea.”

Yea....now im really looking forward to Montreal this year. 2 tattoos booked and 3 days off plus good food, lots of fun and seeing people I dont see all the time. Lot less "BROOOOOO" crowd in MTL then some others tho, thats a nice thing.

I've always enjoyed the Philly convention for the things it is, and the things it isn't (ie, THE BEST SHIT SHOW ON EARTH). Richmond Convention is always hit or miss. I like seeing the people I know. I don't like seeing the people I do not know. As they say, things ebb and flow...who knows what things will be like five years from now.

Coleridge said it best:

“The fair breeze blew,

The white foam flew,

And the forrow followed free.

We were the first to ever burst into the silent sea.”

I did enjoy the Richmond shows Billy put on......and I didn't come down to this past one although there were a lot of great artists and I heard it was slow!

I had something else going on and I kind of regretted not going!