Conventions.......Just don't seem the same!

there hasn't been a GREAT american convention since the '90's. the old tattoo tours were super fun. the early eddies shows were great (gotta mix in biker drama to make it great). the first few years of billys richmond shows, but since the 90's they have been pretty sad.

state of grace is maybe the ONLY exception to this rule. kind of.

I'm going to the NYC one either on 5/19 or 5/20. My artist is sharing a booth, so I'll get to hang with her and some other artists I know. Bringing my wife and my one inked up son so it should be fun for a few hours. I have no expectations, my 1st convention. I had the opportunity to have my last tat (done on 5/2) done at the show, but figured I'd get it ahead of time.

CG

Well.....I went to the baltimore convention!

Friday night it was nice to just see friends but I still missed seeing a few that i didn't know were going to be there so......I went back on Sunday! It didn't seem too busy to me......

If I hadn't wanted to get tattooed by John Black.....I probably wouldn't have gone back down though!

And maybe it is I've changed and not the conventions.....but i think it may just be both have changed!

I'm pretty bummed about having to pay $40 to get tattooed at Ink N' Iron this year. I went to Ink N' Iron 2009 and I believe paid about half of the current price to get in. I'd love to attend State Of Grace someday..or any other convention put on by artists and not corporations.

Seeing how Taki puts on a convention and then having to deal with some circus sideshow, with the star attraction getting your picture taken by wee man is a tough pill to swallow (Oregon Ink Convention). On the other side of that coin, got a chance to hang out and karaoke/drink way too much with a lot of great tattooers that either are too busy to hang out or are located outside of Portland (convention was 2 hrs south of Portland in Eugene). Also met a really cool collector who made a special point to stop by our booth, because she had some designs tattooed off the shops flash set we sold at State of Grace a few years back. Usually no big deal, but she had just gotten back from SF where she got a huge tiger head on her Stomach by Tim Lehi and was flying out the next week to Phoenix to get some work by Aaron Coleman. It was stuff like that that made you forget you were at a shit show and why I am still checking out conventions to attend.

I'm pretty bummed about having to pay $40 to get tattooed at Ink N' Iron this year. I went to Ink N' Iron 2009 and I believe paid about half of the current price to get in. I'd love to attend State Of Grace someday..or any other convention put on by artists and not corporations.

$40 bucks doesn't sound that bad when you consider all that is going on. I mean last year didn't the Buzzcocks and The Sonics play along with like 20 other bands, this year the lineup is not that stacked but still Suicidal Tendencies, Face to Face and a pretty decent lineup of psychobilly bands. I haven't been, but sounds like a good time to me.