Chris Conn is back!

Ursula

Sucks dude. I just emailed him to ask if he has an opening while I'm in NY. If he, against all odds, can fit me in I'm thinking of making a round trip to LA and back while I'm there, but I can't imagine that's going to happen. With that rate I have to sell a guitar or two if it does though. Damn!

I know the price seems a kinda steep, but I am sure he has his reasons. I bet it is more about keeping pieces relatively small. He has nothing to prove, and I doubt that he wants to be working on great big elaborate pieces. $500 an hour should keep that to a minimum. My understanding is that his health was not that great for the last little bit.

I would pay it but I can see how people think it is expensive. He probably makes a shit load more off selling his paintings so im guessing he would have to justify it that way, interesting he started back up though...wonder if he has missed tattooing?? who knows

I was interviewing him for TAM years ago, but he was so busy that we scratched it after few pages. Interesting stuff. I deleted it all because it seemed right. My code of ethics is from another era ;)

And I also think the price is to weed out not so serious types. I would get tattooed just for the experince, if I would have won the lottery that is.

I can only speculate, but I would imagine the last thing he would want to do is be booked out of the year right away. Charging $500 bucks an hour, narrows it down to people who are really serious about it and see what an opportunity it is. Also charging more could allow him to not take as many appointments at first and get back into it at his own pace. I can totally understand a person thinking $500 is too much, but coming up with the extra $200 bucks an hour seems like a simple obstacle considering before this announcement he was done tattooing forever.

Supply and demand! It is fuckin Chris Conn and he will have no problem getting business, and considering there are mediocre tattooers charging $200 an hour it seems like a bargain to me, but heck I got 3 tattoos from him back when the hourly rate would get you one piece.

But lets face it getting tattooed by the likes of Deutsche, Sylvia, Lehi, Wilson etc they get twice or more done in an hour than most would do in 2 so it halves the hourly rate anyway, Chris is not fast but is he is super efficient!

I'm hoping this doesn't start any sort of trend. Inflation's a motherfucker! Another thread was talkin' about Grime being pricey, but this takes the cake.

Dear other tattooers reading this or hearing about C.C.'s rates,

Please keep your rates reasonable and sane.

Sincerely,

Your Loyal Clientele

I think mistef Conn also knows the value of his name. He knows what people think about him and is playing his cards accordingly. And he quit tattooing because he didnt dig the scene etc. so I imagine he doesnt want to do stuff with an 150$ hour rate. Keep them small and finish in one session.

Of course another aspect is that he is charging this because people make tattooers mythical. Like Mike Roper. Grime says something in a interview = Roper is god. And even if he does do amazing work, it is the name and just that to some pdople. The culture that we live in. Elevate someone and be associated to that person = you get part of that spotlight.

Golden calf etc.

DeVita didnt charge me 2 arms and 2 legs when he tattooed me after he 'quit'

Higgs didnt charge me 2 arms and 2 legs after he 'quit'

Those 2 names mean a hellova lot more than Conn does IMO. But hey thats just me.

I doubt that Chris Conn is charging everyone $500 an hour. Weren't you tattooed by Tux? Maybe you get a little special treatment that some others wouldn't. Speaking of Devita, is anyone else on here following Chris Grosso's Instagram?

I doubt that Chris Conn is charging everyone $500 an hour. Weren't you tattooed by Tux? Maybe you get a little special treatment that some others wouldn't. Speaking of Devita, is anyone else on here following Chris Grosso's Instagram?

I would suspect the $500/ hour is kind of like Grime's 3 year waiting list, but whatever. I am a little bummed I just put 38,000 down on a house and am putting in central air next month and so I have no money or time to go to LA. But in all fairness I would rather pay $500 and get tattooed next month then wait for 3 years to get tattooed and pay whatever, but again it all depends on how bad you want to get tattooed by someone. Grime is amazing, but Chris Conn has worked with most of the people around me and helped a lot of them get where they are today and i hear so many stories of things in and out of the tattoo shop, even if he sucked at tattooing I would still want to meet him and get tattooed by him.

Would you have payed if they did?

excellent question! I don't know if I would've, maybe yes maybe no. It is worth pointing out that one of Thom's mottos is 'tattoos need not be expensive'..

Weren't you tattooed by Tux? Maybe you get a little special treatment that some others wouldn't.

Yeah, that's possible? I do have a lot of work from Tux, and the only reason I met Thom in the first place is through his introduction.