Chris Conn is back!

Ursula

@Jake making any progress on the silvia panther?

been super busy with school and a new job. trying to find extra time for anything is tough, let alone going in to get my ribs poked... probably won't happen until between summer and fall semesters.

Yeah, I also meant for the tattoo, not for an hour :) I wouldnt pay a 500$/€ for an hour.

I dont know how much in synch the high rates are with the tattooing becoming more and more of an "art"? And if you would ask 100 regural people would they get tattooed by mister Conn or Devita, I bet wast amount would choose Conn. But if Conn was 500$/hour and Devita 500$ for the whole tattoo... I dont know.

And of course Im choosing Devita because his name, or the aura. So I guess im guilty also :)

Well for whatever reason Mr. Conn isn't replying to our emails. Having heard that he's charging $500 an hour though, I kind of don't care now. Anything I'd want from him would be at least a two hour deal and there's no way I'd pay anyone $1000 for a hand sized tattoo. Fuck that. He's an amazing artist but I can get just as good of a tattoo from Mike Wilson, in the same town I live for $150 an hour.

Seems like if people are willing to line up and pay than he is worth it. No one will do the same tattoo he will do for you. If his work is your thing than who is to say what a piece of art is worth. We are talking about art right? Its not like you are going in and picking a piece of flash off the wall and he is hitting you up for 500 an hr.

Forgive my greenhorn ignorance, and the following blunt question... but who is Chris Conn? I've read this forum from top to bottom, watched interviews, and read tons of other material, I don't recall the name.

Please no flame, I'm just here to learn. :)

Forgive my greenhorn ignorance, and the following blunt question... but who is Chris Conn? I've read this forum from top to bottom, watched interviews, and read tons of other material, I don't recall the name.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-designs/279-lady-heads-page2.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-designs/1111-pin-up-girls.html

SEKRETCITY INTERNATIONAL

Some of the art he has been doing whilst not tattooing.

His dad was a pretty well know actor as well.

Luke Askew - IMDb

Seems like if people are willing to line up and pay than he is worth it. No one will do the same tattoo he will do for you. If his work is your thing than who is to say what a piece of art is worth. We are talking about art right? Its not like you are going in and picking a piece of flash off the wall and he is hitting you up for 500 an hr.

Well if people really want a Conn tattoo for half the price they can go hit up Chris Cleen. Although it's gonna look like you paid half the price cause his shit ain't anywhere near as nice!

Well if people really want a Conn tattoo for half the price they can go hit up Chris Cleen. Although it's gonna look like you paid half the price cause his shit ain't anywhere near as nice!

I don't think that Cleen's stuff looks anything at all like Conn's. However, his coworker Anderson Luna does some girl heads that remind me of Conn:

1e2cadcc6a1611e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

Exactly.

There's "is it worth it" and "is it worth it for me".

For me- nah. Not really. Conn's stuff is super clean and I love looking at it, but has never struck me as someone I'd get tattooed by. Even if his rate was $200 instead of $500.

Conversely, if Robert Ryan called me up and said he raised his rates to $500/hr.... I'd just save up and work with that as my budget because getting tattooed by Robert resonates with me and would qualify as 'worth it'.

Ursula: Sorry, but that last comment feels unfair to Chris Cleen.

I'm going to politely disagree, Stefan-

If we can say that 'Tattooers are artists who can charge $500 an hour" than we can be art critics and say "Chris Cleen's stuff isn't nearly as nice".

I think his stuff is derivative and muddy. I'm sure he's a perfectly nice guy. But you don't get to fly the banner of 'artist' if you don't want to have your stuff reviewed by the buying public.

I see your point Shawn, but it is still kinda uncool just to drag someone randomly to a discussion and say they arent as good as Conn. Mister Cleen might say the same himself for all I know, but he isnt here :) I think...

Edit. My point was that when speaking about art, its different if you say someone isnt good enough than to say I dont like his/hers stuff as much as this persons.

I see your point Shawn, but it is still kinda uncool just to drag someone randomly to a discussion and say they arent as good as Conn. Mister Cleen might say the same himself for all I know, but he isnt here :) I think...

Edit. My point was that when speaking about art, its different if you say someone isnt good enough than to say I dont like his/hers stuff as much as this persons.

I would argue that it's not random, Petri.

As for Cleen being in here to defend himself- not that a defense is needed- that's the line you cross when you step into the 'public persona' realm. If you're going to be producing videos about yourself or charging $500/hr, you step away from just being someone who's part of a weird little community (tattooers/tattooed) and try to make yourself into a brand. When that happens.... alls fair.

We're certainly still going to make fun of Ed Hardy clothing (despite loving Ed) even though he's not here to defend himself.

That said, as a social critic I charge $500/hr. Ya'all need to pay up :D

If you're gonna put your art out there for the public to see, and it bites someone else's style so hard don't be shocked when people say something about it.

I'm not saying Cleen sucks. I'm saying his shit looks like he's been looking at a few too many Conn prints, and, his work is also not as good as Conn's.

Go to google image search and type in Chris Conn tattoo, then type in Chris Cleen and you should be able to see what I mean.

That's my opinion. I know others who feel the same, I know others who don't. Decide for yourself.

And as far as people not being here to defend themselves, you'd be surprised who reads this forum but doesn't have an account or post. I've received messages from people before about something I've said here, for all we know both Cleen and Conn read this shit.