Chris Conn is back!

Ursula

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think mistef Conn also knows the value of his name. He knows what people think about him and is playing his cards accordingly. And he quit tattooing because he didnt dig the scene etc. so I imagine he doesnt want to do stuff with an 150$ hour rate. Keep them small and finish in one session.

Of course another aspect is that he is charging this because people make tattooers mythical. Like Mike Roper. Grime says something in a interview = Roper is god. And even if he does do amazing work, it is the name and just that to some pdople. The culture that we live in. Elevate someone and be associated to that person = you get part of that spotlight.

Golden calf etc.

I agree with the above. I was lucky enough to get tattooed by Conn for $115/hr. in 2003. He seemed pretty disillusioned with tattooing, and I can't blame him in the least. If he can get $500/hr., more power to him. At the same time, there are a good number of outstanding, distinctive traditional tattooers (Bryan Burke, Richard Stell, Theo Mindell, Jason Brooks, Cory Lenherr, Aaron Coleman, among others) who're actively tattooing. When I got tattooed by Conn nine years ago he wasn't a God. At all. Just saying. Not that I'll cringe at looking at any new tattoos the guy does. They're great.

Elevate someone to mythical stature, then coattail ride the inflated status. I'm not into it. I'm into captivating art.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you have payed if they did?

I think irezumi's saying he wouldn't . . .

- - - Updated - - -

"Producing videos about yourself" indubitably alters the landscape . . .

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know anything about Wood's or Grez's influences, but, from what I understand, Vargas was deeply influenced by Conn. That says a lot. I have some cool Hardy and Higgs flash tattooed on me, but it'd probably look better if those guys did them.

I have to say something, i don't speak for Chris or anyone else on this forum, but why is no one speaking up for Chris? I mean there has been people that have been tattooed by Chris since he has came back tattooing and are not speaking up! If you respect Chris Conn or his influences he has made, speak up! Did he charge you 500 dollars an hour? No he did not. I respect every artist that Peter wrote above. Stell is awesome! I call out any tattoo artist that has to "cheapin" their tattoo prices. I don't live in a city that has a lack of talented tattoo artist. Maybe if I did I would not be typing this!

Maybe I have been lucky by getting tattooed by Stell, Brooks, Grime, Trevino. But I promise if Scott Sylvia, Tim Lehi (again), Stell (also again),Coleman, Stewart Robson, or Bryan BURK said," well I charge 500 dollars an hour and two hour minimum", I suck it the fuck up and not cry about how much it cost me!

Updated.....

This is a forum to better the tattoo community not talk shit about tattooers.

I have to say something, i don't speak for Chris or anyone else on this forum, but why is no one speaking up for Chris? I mean there has been people that have been tattooed by Chris since he has came back tattooing and are not speaking up! If you respect Chris Conn or his influences he has made, speak up! Did he charge you 500 dollars an hour? No he did not. I respect every artist that Peter wrote above. Stell is awesome! I call out any tattoo artist that has to "cheapin" their tattoo prices. I don't live in a city that has a lack of talented tattoo artist. Maybe if I did I would not be typing this!

Maybe I have been lucky by getting tattooed by Stell, Brooks, Grime, Trevino. But I promise if Scott Sylvia, Tim Lehi (again), Stell (also again),Coleman, Stewart Robson, or Bryan BURK said," well I charge 500 dollars an hour and two hour minimum", I suck it the fuck up and not cry about how much it cost me!

Updated.....

This is a forum to better the tattoo community not talk shit about tattooers.

Hey D, Did you read all 14 pages of the thread. I think that most people were pretty on board with Chris and what he is charging. A couple of people felt it was too much, but most seemed to understand, and at least two people on here have already gotten tattooed by him. I don't think that anyone was all that negative. A couple of people said they don't get what is so special about his tattoos, but they were not nasty about it. Maybe I am misreading something in your post, but I am not sure what about this thread made you feel like people where talking shit about Chris.

Hey D, Did you read all 14 pages of the thread. I think that most people were pretty on board with Chris and what he is charging. A couple of people felt it was too much, but most seemed to understand, and at least two people on here have already gotten tattooed by him. I don't think that anyone was all that negative. A couple of people said they don't get what is so special about his tattoos, but they were not nasty about it. Maybe I am misreading something in your post, but I am not sure what about this thread made you feel like people where talking shit about Chris.

I have read all the pages. My point of posting is he doesn't charge $500 dollars an hour and no one has corrected that fact.

That's good to know. And I think it brings up an important point. We have "heard" that is what he is charging, but you know, everything that gets sent down the pipeline can change. Bottom line, if we want to get tattooed by anyone, we just need to call them up and have a conversation, and everything else gets sorted out from there. I think it was @Stewart Robson who kindly kicked me in the arse and reminded me of that fact.

Actually that's exactly what he said in his letter. If that's not the truth then how are we supposed to know?

Hello All,

So, the time has come for some big announcements: major events have shaken my life up like a martini, and I have moved back to my hometown of Babylon, aka Los Angeles, and am in the process of opening up the first real SekretCity International Headquarters!

As you can see if you visit there, the official SekretCity website is currently under construction, as my business partner, Quan Nguyen (aka Mr. Q), is completely rebuilding it from the ground up. In the meantime, going to the site sends you to my blog here. As well as being a larger and fancier site, with more information and larger images, once the new site is up and running this will be part of a totally new system for print sales, much more fast and efficient than my current system, so that prints and other merchandise (i will be making my own t-shirts from now on, and also offering a few other new tasty things very soon!) will be sent out in a far quicker and more orderly way, and in new and better packaging.

As far as the actual location, it is a totally private space, upstairs, with no signs or advertising except for a small brass plaque on the door, all appointment only, and absolutely no drop ins. It is divided into two main sections…

After ascending the hallway stairs behind the red entrance door, the first large room is the Gallery, painted military green, with my past and current prints framed and on display (as well as for sale), and also a rotating display of any new originals that i have. this will also serve as the lobby/consultation room, decked out with big leather club chairs, coffee table, and potted palms.

The second room is the Workroom, which is painted in, of course, a nice, rich SekretCity red. One half of the room is my painting studio, where i do all of my painting and illustration work. The other half of the room is (yes, the rumors are true) a tattooing area…

Though i am returning to tattooing, i am still keeping painting a top priority, so i am only taking three appointments a week. i like to precede each appointment with a long consultation, in person if you live nearby, or over the phone or Skype if you don’t. This is not only so that we can discuss the tattoo and make the necessary arrangements to do it, but also so that i can get a good idea of what you’re like, and what you’re all about, so that i can make sure that this is a project we can work on together, and also so that i can design a piece that really suits you well. The more i know and understand about you, the easier it will be for me to really hit the mark, and give you a tattoo that works well within the context of your life, not just the contours of your body. I intend to give people good, solid, well thought-out tattoos that they appreciate for the rest of their lives, and i won’t waste my time or yours on anything else.

I have extensive reference books on many, many subjects, and really like to do my homework thoroughly. it is important to me to understand not only the visual look of a reference-heavy piece, but the layers of meaning within it. i am also an avid book collector, and if your tattoo needs reference material, and i don’t already have it, i’ll buy it and add it to the library.

Each appointment is an all-day affair, so there is never any rush, and there is never anyone out in the lobby tapping their toes and waiting for their turn. Just the two of us working on your piece, and taking as long as necessary to get the job done right. I will not answer the phone or the door, so there will be no distractions. There are no other tattooers here, and the only other person who might possibly be present during your session would be my assistant, Sebastian. Smoking will not be allowed in the studio, but smokers are welcome to use the hookah during their session, so that we can keep smoke breaks to a minimum. Plus, it’s super relaxing.

If you are coming from overseas, or just out of the area, please let us know when you contact us about appointment scheduling, as we have a few tricks up our collective sleeves, and we may be able to help you cut down on your traveling costs a bit.

The minimum is $500 US, and the hourly rate is the same.

if you’d like to schedule an appointment, please email me at: chris@sekretcity.com. As well as briefly describing the tattoo you’d like to get, please leave your phone number (or Skype ID, if you’re overseas), and what days/hours are best to reach you. I will call you back as soon as i get a chance so that we can discuss the project and get the process underway. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: right now, i am still painting, unpacking, and running a million errands to get this place ready for work, and get the lush, relaxing atmosphere established that is crucial to the entire operation, so PLEASE wait until June to begin emailing for appointments, as i will not be able to answer any messages before then.

I have spent many, many years working in street shops, and i am very proud of that fact, and i applaud those who keep that tradition alive, but, to be honest, i am 42 now, and after years of working in various shop environments, with many different policies and operating styles (some of which i agreed with, and some that i definitely didn’t), i am really looking forward to finally doing everything the way i think is best, whether or not it fits other people’s ideas of what a tattoo shop should be. The time has come for me to take everything that i’ve learned from working at many shops around the world, and arrange and design everything the way i have wanted to for years, and i can’t wait to get started!

i will be posting some pics and updates over the next few weeks, as things develop, so that you can get a peek at the new space, and what we’re up to.

i look forward to meeting those of you who choose to visit my new “dream shop”! see you soon!

cheers!

c

btw-if you’d like to, you can follow us on Instagram, @sekretcity for occasional pics and updates…

My point in my previous posts was that personally I just wouldn't pay those prices, esp for someone that I wouldnt put on any pedestal, but if he can get it and feels like that's what his time is worth well then kudos to him.

I have read all the pages. My point of posting is he doesn't charge $500 dollars an hour and no one has corrected that fact.

I had a hard time believing that was true, but no facts to prove one way or another. I figured if a couple hundred bucks was enough to deter someone from getting tattooed by Conn, they probably weren't that serious about getting tattooed by him anyway. I figured he put that out there because that;s what he wanted people to think he charges. Anyhow thanks for clearing that up.

@Dhopper

I got tattooed by Chris back in June. When he announced his comeback he also mentioned that his hourly rate would be $500. Do you think Chris would appreciate that I openly named the price of my tattoo and how long it took to finish on a public internet forum?

This is what I wrote in another thread after my visit with Conn:

“I won't elaborate much on my stay there, but it was probably the most memorable tattoo experience I've had. I left LA with much more than just a new tattoo, and I'll remember that visit the rest of my life. If someone still is on the fence because of his price, don't be. You'll get your moneys worth, and a whole lot more. That's my opinion anyways.”

More power to him, but I think I'll stick to the lowly walk-in shop where anyone can just...walk-in!

I'm not an artist, not unless you count making things out of metal or repairing and restoring motorsickles and firearms, so I really don't care about prints framed on the walls. I buy my tee-shirts at the Great Wal of China, so I don't care about them, and ESPECIALLY don't care about the new, improved packaging.

I want to get a tattoo. It's not a soul-searing experience for me...to be sure, it's a heavy decision, but not one I need to spend hours discussing with anyone but myself.

Again, more power to him-if he can get that kind of scratch for his work, and people like it, why not?! In truth, I would bet that that rate is the "scare off the tire-kickers" rate, not what he's actually going to charge you.

More power to him, but I think I'll stick to the lowly walk-in shop where anyone can just...walk-in!

I'm not an artist, not unless you count making things out of metal or repairing and restoring motorsickles and firearms, so I really don't care about prints framed on the walls. I buy my tee-shirts at the Great Wal of China, so I don't care about them, and ESPECIALLY don't care about the new, improved packaging.

I want to get a tattoo. It's not a soul-searing experience for me...to be sure, it's a heavy decision, but not one I need to spend hours discussing with anyone but myself.

Again, more power to him-if he can get that kind of scratch for his work, and people like it, why not?! In truth, I would bet that that rate is the "scare off the tire-kickers" rate, not what he's actually going to charge you.

For the most part I am with you on that. I always felt that a tattoo appointment should not feel like making a dentist appointment. It should fun and somewhat spontaneous. But as I start to run out of real estate, I have wanted to get some tattoos by people who's work I admire before I have no room left. I am still on the fence about whether I will get tattooed by Conn as I have more people to worry about than myself and my money isn't just mine to blow and I can't just take off to LA for a weekend without some serious planning. But at some point i kind of have to decide who I really want to tattoo me, because their isn't room for everyone.

I would pay that price for sure. Like @Iwar said it sounds like way more than just a tattoo. A whole experience in itself. I love walking in and getting tattooed but that'd be a cool story to tell.

I would also gladly pay $500/hr for a Chris Conn tattoo. The expense of a whole trip to California and the taking time off work thing is much more of a barrier than the price of the tattoo. The way I see it, when he started tattooing again he said that he was charging $500/hr. Whether he actually charges less than that isn't particularly relevant, as that's what he chose to announce and wants people to think. If at some point he chooses to clarify or change that, that's up to him. I can totally see the advantages in wanting people to think your rate is that high...he gets to tattoo only people who REALLY want a tattoo from him. Some people have said in this thread that they wouldn't be willing to pay that for a Chris Conn tattoo, while some have said they would. It seems to me, that if weeding out those who don't "want it that bad" or whatever was his intention, then it's working pretty well for him.

The way I see it, when he started tattooing again he said that he was charging $500/hr. Whether he actually charges less than that isn't particularly relevant, as that's what he chose to announce and wants people to think...I can totally see the advantages in wanting people to think your rate is that high...he gets to tattoo only people who REALLY want a tattoo from him.

Was talking to a buddy the other day who got tattooed by him a few weeks back and it sounded like an awesome experience. And you're exactly right.. for those that want it, go get it! For those that don't, you have nothing to worry about.

• 1 month later...
If you're gonna put your art out there for the public to see, and it bites someone else's style so hard don't be shocked when people say something about it.

I'm not saying Cleen sucks. I'm saying his shit looks like he's been looking at a few too many Conn prints, and, his work is also not as good as Conn's.

Go to google image search and type in Chris Conn tattoo, then type in Chris Cleen and you should be able to see what I mean.

That's my opinion. I know others who feel the same, I know others who don't. Decide for yourself.

And as far as people not being here to defend themselves, you'd be surprised who reads this forum but doesn't have an account or post. I've received messages from people before about something I've said here, for all we know both Cleen and Conn read this shit.

Ursula--- I have to disagree with you, I wasn't familiar with Cris Cleen's work. After reading your post I went to look at his work and I don't see any similarity ( other than possibly his limited color palette, and the color red) to Chris Conn's. I just think it has a totally different feel to it.

I would say the subject matter they paint is very similar and the color palette as mentioned, but Conn's stuff has so much more going on and is looking for a much bigger effect. Cleen looks like he is trying to keep it simpler. If he was trying to rip off Conn, I think he would make his paintings a little busier, try to incorporate background elements that Conn uses. I think clearly Cleen has been influenced by Conn, but that can be said for pretty much this whole generation of tattooers. Same with Dan Higgs and even Aaron Coleman, I see a lot of these guys in the tattoos people do everyday, and I don't think people are ripping it off, they are just doing what they think looks cool.

• 2 weeks later...