Alright so I know a lot of people get Dia De Los Muertos stuff tattooed on them because it is "cool" or "in" but there are those that truly love, understand, and celebrate it. So in the spirit, memory, and celebration of Dia De Los Muertos who on LST celebrates Dia De Los Muertos wether it is personally or goes to your local town/cities event? Who has Dia De Los Muertos tattoos and yes pictures are always appreciated? Etc? What does your Dia De Los Muertos look like?

Here is the info for the SF one that I try attend every year for the past thirteen years up here. I was introduced to Dia De Los Muertos as a kid by the local latino kids I ran with for a few years and have since made it one of my most celebrated and enjoyed "holidays". It is unfortunate but this year may not be what it historically has been due to finances and other reasons of the Mission becoming gentrified. The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence as mentioned below raised and donated some money. If you are unfamiliar with them they are pretty awesome and very very supportive and active in many Bay Area fundraising events so encourage you to check them out as well.

The Day of the Dead Procession starts Tuesday, November 2nd at 7 PM sharp at 22nd and Bryant.

Participants will be gathering at 6:30 PM. Please note this change of location from 24th and Bryant.

The procession will not pass Garfield Park this year.

Garfield Park is between 25th and 26th, Treat and Harrison.

The altars and installations can be seen from 4 PM to 10:30 PM

The new procession route is defined here

This year the ritual procession will assemble at 6:00 PM at its new starting location in the corner of 22nd Street and Bryant Street. It will move through a new route by way of Bryant Street onto 24th Street, then along 24th Street onto Mission Street, then along Mission Street onto 22nd Street, and then move down 22nd Street; where it will end at Bryant Street.

DAY OF THE DEAD IS A RESPECTFUL NO ALCOHOL EVENT

Thank you to Sister Mary Timothy and the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence for raising $559.49 for Day of the Dead. For more information about the Sisters and their commitment to community service, visit: http://www.thesisters.org/

Many thanks to all of you that have written or called with donations and words of support. We received our Recreation and Park permit on Friday and are working with city officials to ensure this tradition continues. We are still fundraising to cover the permitting costs and hope that you will consider supporting Day of the Dead.

http://www.dayofthedeadsf.org/

Loch, I have also never missed the event in SF in many, many years. And yes, it has changed, but the spirit of the event is always there. (It's funny to look back over the years and think about the different people whom I've been with at each parade and how I've changed, though.) I've heard that there's also an excellent daytime event in Oakland the Sunday before every year (near the Fruitvale Bart), I won't make it this year, but I will take the kids next year.

Dean, thanks for posting a picture as the colors are always intriguing and attractive.

MArio, thanks for the link. Chicago has some awesome museums and spent days in them when younger. Which one has the submarine in it? Also from that link have you seen the Juarez and Lincoln exhibit?

Dari, so is today the Oakland one? I was going to hit you and Scott up to see if you wanted to go Tuesday as I know I've seen you guys there years ago. That is kind of fun to think back over the years and who I went with, huh.

Tammy, as far as I know and remember the parade has always remained in the Mission and never gone to SOMA but who knows. What has changed this year is the route and starting point I believe.

Martin, lets see pictures the Dia De Los Muertos Tattoos Germany is turning out????

Dari, so is today the Oakland one? I was going to hit you and Scott up to see if you wanted to go Tuesday as I know I've seen you guys there years ago. That is kind of fun to think back over the years and who I went with, huh.

They moved the Oakland one to last weekend due to Halloween conflict. But next year!

Unfortunately, I work Tues night, (not really unfortunate, I love my job) but I'm down to go post-teaching. Think you guys could handle the man-night interference?

They moved the Oakland one to last weekend due to Halloween conflict. But next year!

Unfortunately, I work Tues night, (not really unfortunate, I love my job) but I'm down to go post-teaching. Think you guys could handle the man-night interference?

Better luck next year on the Oakland event then. As for tomorrow night in SF talk with Scott and see what's up and call me if you guys are coming in for it. I haven't been making it to Man Night and am going to the parade.

the sub is at the museum of science and industry. i didn't see the lincoln/juarez exhibit, we were crunched for time, but i plan on making it back there soon!

Yes I could spend days in that damn place!

If you make it back I would love to hear about it.

Last nights Dia De Los Muertos parade in San Francisco was fun as always. It weaved throughout the streets of the Mission IMG_3267.jpg[/img]

IMG_3257.jpg[/img]

before it ended in a park where the festivities continued. In the park people rented out spaces to build altars.

IMG_3307.jpg[/img]

IMG_3401.jpg[/img]

Hundreds of people wandered around the park with people playing music, dancing, eating, and just having a good time.

IMG_3330.jpg

There were even numerous games of double dutch

IMG_3436.jpg

Did any LSTers make it out to their local Dia De Los Muertos event?

that's part of a large mural that is on permanent display there, it's awesome. a lot of those pieces are part of the permanent collection. i love hitting up that museum a couple times a year, and it's free, just runs on donations and government support. i always send people visiting chicago their way!

rad thanks for sharing all the pics. i miss the sf event nothing that i know of yet here in portland. we just make an altar and celebrate here at home.

helguera is awesome! anyone know of somewhere to see or buy prints books etc? i only have this little book thats out of print that has a huge collection of his work but those pictures are tiny. maybe somewhere to get some of them old calendarios??

i've always wanted to do a version of that los lobos cover. thanks for sharing julio

Henry, if you go to George yepes website, he sells prints of his paintings. You can also have him paint on top of one of the prints, customizing it by the artist.

He's painted la pistola y el corazon several times. I believe the first version was burned in Sean penns trailer or something like that. I've seen a second version in San Francisco at the de young gallery. It's part of cheech marin's collection. That one was incredible!!! It had more of the bodies showing. It was truly larger than life and one of those paintings that made me feel insignificant. Got the same feeling with that helguera painting. That painting was ally bigger than I thought it would be

thanks julio! i was talking about jesus huelgera works. i was having a hard time finding a body of his work that i could have for reference......yeah man i've seen the pistola y el corazon that was at the de young gallery when i lived in sf. it was pretty amazing. i will go to the yepes website thanks for the heads up.