How Can You Tell If You Are Alchoholic?

Hunter Morrow

Seriously though. If you drink at 6 in the morning, have been drunk every day for months and forgot what water tastes like without alcohol in it are you alcoholic?

What if you misspell alcoholic in a thread title? I don't have a good baseline. I'm from Wisconsin and in college.

Seriously though. If you drink at 6 in the morning, have been drunk every day for months and forgot what water tastes like without alcohol in it are you alcoholic?

What if you misspell alcoholic in a thread title? I don't have a good baseline. I'm from Wisconsin and in college.

If you put a piece of wick in your mouth, light it and it burns for three days, then you're an alcoholic.

CAGE Test

Two "yes" responses indicate that the respondent should be investigated further. The questionnaire asks the following questions:

Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?

Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?

Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?

Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?

Although they say that anything more than 2 drinks a day will qualify you.

This thread hits home. My ex-girlfriend (as of 12 hours ago) thought I qualified as an alcoholic b/c I enjoyed having 2-3 beers every evening. God forbid I do something to numb this banal existence (I kid). Thank god for tattoos!

Sheeeiittttttt... 2-3 beers is just priming the pump... cutting the dust. Good thing you got rid of her before it was too late!

CG

Do you think there are some drinks that work on you less even if it is the same proof?

Like brandy versus whiskey. I had 8 Brandy drinks in short order last night and then went biking all around town for 2 hours. If that had been 8 whiskey drinks I would have had a hard time even walking home.

They are both 80 proof, right?

Do you think there are some drinks that work on you less even if it is the same proof?

Like brandy versus whiskey. I had 8 Brandy drinks in short order last night and then went biking all around town for 2 hours. If that had been 8 whiskey drinks I would have had a hard time even walking home.

They are both 80 proof, right?

My personal theory is that alcohol is alcohol, but things such as sugar content in certain drinks causes some difference in how we react to them. 4oz of 80proof brandy would give the same amount of alcohol as 4oz of 80proof bourbon. One might have twice the amount of sugar as the other so that could make you a bit wound up or some such thing.

No, I don't think that could quite be it. You'd think brandy, something from fermented fruit, would have a much higher sugar content. It certainly tastes sweeter than brandy and bourbon.

Now, on the other hand, things like Jagermeister, Goldschlager, Sambuka get me drunk quicker than either brandy or whiskey despite having similar alcohol contents, and in the case of Jagermeister, a lower alcohol content than either brandy or whiskey.