ink trouble

autosdafe

So, why does this moke need to use vinyl gloves? Is he that freaking toxic he's afraid to catch something from himself???

I like that he's wiping the blood with his dirty t-shirt and then setting it on his dirty pants while he scratches out the next letter. He gives dumb scum a bad name.

Its just a matter of respect to the forum. We were asked and agreed to not ask Tattooing related questions and you did. Thats why you are catching so much shit. The sad part is you dont understand, so far all you've done is make excusses of why you asked it. Then you went on further to throw oters under the scratcer bus. Yes some of once were but the reason we still aren't is because we had enough respect of the craft that we are doing to step back and learn properly and ask questions the proper way.

On a side note: How is someone gonna get pissed because your going to spend money in there shop. Maybe you need to look at the common denomonator in this picture and adjust the way you ask shit and pay attention to the rules, written or unwritten.

Believe me I'd like to travel to other shops and learn all that i can. But I'm far too busy at the shop to do so. I never thought such a small question could be such a big deal.

I can't help but read this as "I'm too busy making money to properly learn the craft." Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see what shop you work at and your gallery appears to be empty. Maybe you can shut us all up with the quality of your work.

You came for advice and got it and I know for a fact plenty of the people offering the advice you're not willing to accept are coming from a place of experience and offering their clients work of marked quality. If not them, who are you willing to learn from?

I may be a hardass about this stuff but it's older than all of us. I count myself blessed to be a part of it and have seen far too many people walk fresh faced into it demanding that it change to suit them. This thing wasn't designed to suit the overly eager and unbending. It was designed to weed them out.

...On a side note: How is someone gonna get pissed because your going to spend money in there shop...

Every area's different but ours is flooded with hacks with unprofessional standards and practices. We don't keep a friendly working relationship with people who have a negative impact on our trade.

Believe me I'd like to travel to other shops and learn all that i can. But I'm far too busy at the shop to do so. I never thought such a small question could be such a big deal.

Doesn't seem like a small question to me. If people are leaving your "shop" with shitty tattoos and you won't even take a day off to try to figure out why, that seems like a big concern. Learning in a shitty shop, hardly seems like an excuse. I would say most people had to start at a bad shop or learn from someone that wasn't that good. Those that got better did so by seeking out people who could make them better and looking for opportunities to be in better shops around better tattooers. Sometimes that not only meant taking the weekend off to go visit another shop and not make money but relocating thousands of miles and a couple days notice.

Being a scratcher in my opinion has more to do with the quality of tattoos someone is putting on. A lot of people are putting on bad tattoos out of their house so yes they are scratchers, but if they put the same tattoo on in a shop is it any better or is that tattooer any nobler in their profession? Some might give them a little credit for actually setting up a shop and incurring the expenses like a professional ,but the tattoo is the tattoo.

Aside from showing respect to this forum, you have no respect for your craft, no respect for your mentor. and no repect for yourself. get over the internet, it's not how you learn the trade or solve problems. i dont buy that excuse that you cant get tattooed at another shop go to the next county over. your fucking people up and aew not even making a real attempt to solve your problem. google is not for tattooers.

but i supose i am beating a dead horse. and what do i know i am just an apprentice who slaves 80 hours a week in trade for proper training in the craft. so fuck what i say. but you should be working harder.

autodude, consider yourself lucky to have actually gotten some good and even-keeled advice from everyone here so far. These are about the most tame responses I've seen related to a post like this. Take a day off, go get tattooed, step out of your comfort zone, try for another apprenticeship or ask all the questions you can while you're getting tattooed by someone who knows a little more than you or your boss and is willing to give you a hand. Good luck dude.

Yeah....Seth is really a bad example to try to use....and agreed a very random name to throw out!

I am sure the guys on the Read Street Forum would love to answer that question for you though!

And the answer is yes.....seth has been tattooing on occasion....I have gotten two from him in the last couple years! ;)

Yeah....Seth is really a bad example to try to use....and agreed a very random name to throw out!

I am sure the guys on the Read Street Forum would love to answer that question for you though!

And the answer is yes.....seth has been tattooing on occasion....I have gotten two from him in the last couple years! ;)

He is the only guy here in Portland you have better shot getting tattooed by out of town at a convention. His supply company sponsored the convention I talked about in the other thread and he didn't show up the whole weekend, but honestly didn't really expect him too. I don't think he really has to tattoo, I am sure he does alright with his machines.

Aside from showing respect to this forum, you have no respect for your craft, no respect for your mentor. and no repect for yourself. get over the internet, it's not how you learn the trade or solve problems. i dont buy that excuse that you cant get tattooed at another shop go to the next county over. your fucking people up and aew not even making a real attempt to solve your problem. google is not for tattooers.

but i supose i am beating a dead horse. and what do i know i am just an apprentice who slaves 80 hours a week in trade for proper training in the craft. so fuck what i say. but you should be working harder.

I probably shouldn't post this but....well I've been apprenticed twice (I cannot say I have been an apprentice as it only lasted few weeks) by the wrong person. And I mean honestly a really shabby tattooers. But as soon as I saw their way of doing things I bailed out. It's been years ago but I still dream about being an apprentice again. What I'm trying to say is that I agree with you Jomester. knowing how to tune your machines doesn't make you a tatooer and if someone had a bad master he should have realised it and left them and go somewhere else. I know I might never get a chance to get into the craft but I wouldn't dream of tattooing without earning my place. I just liked you post, so figured I'll share my story....maybe a bit off subject...sorry.

I know someone (who i don't like) who was trying to learn to tattoo, went around saying they'd pay someone 20 grad to teach them. Now they're a tattooer. Don't know if the money was ever given to the guy who did the teaching, if it was they've kept it quiet. I do know for a fact, the person who learned did and does have that kind of money.

I don't understand why you don't call it a gun. It shoots a substance into somebody. I don't know, a vacuum cleaner seems like a machine and a tattoo "machine" seems like a gun.

Maybe if I pay 20 grand I can finally get a good answer to that? Or do you think that would be more like a $30,000 secret?

20k 6 weeks and youll know everything ;)

"guns" and ink not included.

additional fees and surcharges will be added upon graduation

Since Oregon has made it law than anyone who wants to obtain a license that has not had one in another state or been a practicing tattooer in a state where there is no licensing has to attend a school and pass an exam to do so, there has been plenty of that hustle going around. Basically you pay 6-8k to a school run by hacks that will feed you the answer to your test as long as you can get 50 victims to come in and pay $20 to get tattooed by you. My friend Derek had already apprenticed for 2 years under my boss, but since the law changed in the middle of his apprenticeship, he had to go to one of the schools, so he went to the cheapest one and I was his victim a couple of times. Peter Pan and the lost boys was the best way I could describe it.

But anyhow there is a reputable shop in town that has gotten certified to be a school, the tuition is $20k is to get in (my guess is the higher price is to deter people and not have to teach anyone) and they pick and choose the students and they don't advertise it or put school in their name. Basically he wanted to apprenctice one guy so he played the states game to do so.

It's just a faux pas. It's like for me, when I am designing something for a client and they say they want it to "pop" more. Fuck that noise.

i hear ya, also i dont like "tatty" "lookin to get some ink" over use of "incorporate" or the phrase "i dont care"/your the artist"..im kinda lame like that..but if some one doesnt care about what their getting what motivation am i suposed to have?