Large thigh tattoos and backpieces

I'm going to try and restart the wildly unpopular topic of thigh tattoos here! I'm currently in a tattoo-dilemma (happens once every couple of months it seems) where the prospect of planning my work badly has me breaking out in cold sweat. I've spoken to the tattooer I want to do my backpiece and it's all OK, and we decided he'd do my back, bum and back of thighs. This leaves the front of my thighs to collect 2 large pieces and I was thinking of frontal skulls or masks. Except I've always had a soft spot for large thigh pieces that go along the side of the thighs, down from the hips and to the side of the knees.

Do you all have an opinion about side vs front thigh pieces, when one's thinking about backpieces too? Logic would dictate front and leave the back to the backpiece, but I'm wondering if sides would work too and not interrupt the back too much. Any ideas would be appreciated!

I am in a similar state. Wondering where the backpiece ends and the thigh tattoo begins or how to work the two together....

im leaning towards backpiece covering ass but not thighs. gives many big options on back of thighs, plus the guy or girl doing your backpiece has a healthy check for going to an assumed not so fun place

Focus people!! :)

I spoke to someone with eminently more tattoo wisdom than me who suggested I should talk to the tattooer doing my back and he can leave the space for me to collect round the front.

Also, wise person reminded me that the traditional Japanese design does tend to have separate images for the front of the thigh, joined by background to the backpiece of course. I am now leaning towards 2 large images not right on the front or sides, but slightly to the side. If you can imagine where that huge muscle sits. Yes, I have that huge muscle:))

No seriously, the older I get, the skinnier my legs become!

Still have no idea about what those images would be though, throwing around 5-6 ideas....

If you're doing your back first I can understand specifying that you want to keep the front of the thighs clear for future work (if that's more important than whatever the guy doing your backpiece might want to do with the space).

After that - by the time your back is finished maybe you'll have a clearer idea of what you want, or will have narrowed it down. Unless you're planning on doing it all concurrently then you probably don't need to decide now, right?

i've been in the same dilemna.

i now have opted to plan my backpiece to cover my butt.

i ended up getting a whale-on-fire up the back of my thigh to tie my the bottom half of my leg sleeve in.

i also have kinda-matching peony-weird snake pieces in progress on the fronts of my thigh that cover the knee.

here's a pic, i really love the way the placement turned out.

68c5d7d6a54011e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg

Nice! And you've got space higher up too if you want to add from the torso coming down, or small souvenir pieces.

Rory: The backpiece artist is really flexible, having worked large pieces around alot of other people's work, so he'll leave space if I want him to anywhere really! I'm just going to write down my ideas as I get them and run them by him so we can talk about different options.

One option is to get someone who used to apprentice with him to do the thighs. I really love this other tattooers work, and there are elements of their work in common which would flow nicely.

• 1 year later...

I didn't want to start a new thread for my quick question. So this is the most relevant thread I can find.

I got a tattoo on the front of my thigh, pretty sure its been a month now. Still at it's dry, itchy stage for a while. Just wondering if that tends to be common with that area for a lot of you.

I'm not concerned, just....annoyed. :P

@Kahlan I'm at 2 weeks for my second thigh tattoo which is on the outside of my thigh from hip to almost knee. I'm still itchy, peely and very tender when laying on it or if the shower is too hot. From memory when I had my first thigh done last year, it took 3 weeks for me to be able to sleep on it without it hurting, and I do remember it being dry and itchy for a good couple of weeks after that. I found that the purple parts were dry and itchy for probably 2 months all up, I assumed it was a mild reaction to the colour but I think the thighs are just harder to heal in general as my forearm was a breeze.