Mother/Mum/Mom Tattoos

• 11 months later...

So since pretty much forever, I'd been bugging my mom to get a tattoo. She can be really socially conservative and definitely came from the "tattoos are trash" generation. After enough bugging, it became pretty clear that she's never going to be tattooed, so I started bugging her to come with me to get a mom tattoo so she can be a part of the process and get a feel for how rad the shop environment is. That kept getting pushed back farther and farther until I realized again that it wasn't going to happen. So basically, I gave her the "you're going to be part of tattooing whether you like it or not" talk, and told her that if she wasn't going to participate as a third party, she can participate as a first party and tattoo me instead.

So she did. :cool:

isn't it terrible? I love it so much. It's supposed to be a bear, looks kind of like a weasel, 100% precious and motherly. Moms rule!

2cifhpu.jpg

Would be cool to see some Mothers Tattoos/Flash etc. Looking for ideas...

not an idea for you,this is just what I have.

my mom got sick with cancer in November of 1994,she passed away in January 95,you can see the date,I got the heart/banner/MOM while she was still alive so she saw it,then I added the RIP & date of course after she passed away,it took her fast. :(

it's very old & very traditional ,my arm tattoos aren't "world class",but their mine and I like 'em.

mom.jpg

not an idea for you,this is just what I have.

my mom got sick with cancer in November of 1994,she passed away in January 95,you can see the date,I got the heart/banner/MOM while she was still alive so she saw it,then I added the RIP & date of course after she passed away,it took her fast. :(

it's very old & very traditional ,my arm taqttoos aren't "world class",but their mine and I like 'em.

aww, that's so lovely. I think mom tattoos are really special, I'm glad that she got to see it before she passed. And in my opinion, tattoos don't always have to be technically outstanding to be good tattoos. A lot of it is in the intention of the tattoo and the personal meaning that you are embodying. Thanks for sharing that (:

@guitguy she's 54 :p

• 1 year later...

So my Mom is 70, and we also have a rather complex relationship. However, she very nearly died on me two weeks ago, was in the ICU, and now she's still in hospital. I've been visiting nearly every day. Despite the complexity of our relationship, I realized how devastated I'd be if I lost her (my father passed away when I was 16). Now I am considering (if I survive my first tattoo) getting something for her - not a literal "Mom" tattoo, but maybe a hummingbird, her favourite bird.

As an aside, she's been delirious for a while, and I'm so happy that her mental capacity is coming back. Yesterday she suggested that instead of getting a tattoo, I should commission the artist to draw me something nice on paper.

When I was young, my mom used to always sing while she curled her hair in the morning. Que Sera Sera was one of her go to songs and it stuck in my memory... now it's stuck in my leg.

The Sly and the Family Stone version is way more my style than Doris Day though...

https://youtu.be/v7G5MIpFui4

Tattoo is by Jill Bonny. It's not a portrait or likeness of my mom... i just asked for a gypsy with a bandana, curly hair, roses, the song title and let her do her thing.

When I was young, my mom used to always sing while she curled her hair in the morning. Que Sera Sera was one of her go to songs and it stuck in my memory... now it's stuck in my leg.

Very cool. I was thinking about ideas of alternatives to the traditional heart, but couldn't think of any that seemed fitting.

• 1 month later...

I got a "mom" heart tattooed on my wrist as an ode to the woman that gave me life. I also thought at the time, it would stop her from nagging about all the tattoos i was getting. See, I was inspired (sort of) by my dear mom having a small tattoo on her back a being in awe of how many people complemented her on it....

When I showed her the mom tattoo I got on my wrist "for her", she wasn't impressed and said... "I hope that's the last one"

Love you mom!!!