Let me first state that I will not besmirch the name of several fine artists with a "Who is the slowest tattooer?" thread. Instead, let's discuss the fastest of the fast. I'll try to limit this to personal experience, but feel free to mention lightning-fast artists you've witnessed, too.

Our very own Scott Sylvia inspired this thread. I was at Forever Tattoo in Sacramento over the weekend and Ian Carder showed me the Rock of Ages backpiece that Scott put on him. He said it took about 15 hours. I guess I should stop being surprised at this point, but damn.

Horitaka is also really fast. I have a black and gray falcon from him that takes up most of my shin. It took him an hour.

Theo Mindell put a huge dragon head on my knee in only 3 hours--and he kept apologizing for taking so long! I'm not a tattooer, but it seems like the knee cap is moving target. That skin shifts all over the place.

And I've never been tattooed by Filip Leu, but no fast tattooer thread would be complete without him. I was lucky enough to see some of the work he did while at Diamond Club, like this tiger that (I think) he completed in 5 hours:

l_d47cb9e6ed0a7c3b723cacac7d2c5b58.jpg

Along the same lines, I've never been tattooed by Robert Atkinson, but holy hell, is that guy fast.

Its ok though to be slow I've got some name brand tattoo work that was done slowly. Sometimes its fun to get away from the clock, take your time and have some fun.

That's a good point. I'm not an artist, so I really relish the time I get to spend in shops. If that means the artist takes a few breaks and I get to hang out and here a few more stories, all the better. But if it ends up costing me twice as much, or I end up locked in the shop overnight getting a 9-hour tattoo (which happened once), then I'm not as into it.

Also: you are one lucky bastard to have work from Filip!

Adam Ciferrri did the 3 of clubs form a deck of Barajas on the inside of my arm about palm sized. Lined with a 5 around the outside then all the tiny woodgrain detail with a single. Took him about 10-15 minutes. Also my co worker Chuck Daly is one of the fastest dudes ever. Did a big tudor rose on my elbow and a gypsy girl inside my arm, both are solid as shit and healed in about a week. They took him about 30 minutes each.

Fast is not always good! And I think you can tell when stuff has really been busted on quickly, but having said that I am a big fan of confident looking tattooing it should not turn into a dick contest!

Eddy D was by far the fastest I have been tattooed by with Chris Conn being the slowest also Jack Rudy certainly took his time but would not trade the overall experience.

That's a good point. I'm not an artist, so I really relish the time I get to spend in shops. If that means the artist takes a few breaks and I get to hang out and here a few more stories, all the better. But if it ends up costing me twice as much, or I end up locked in the shop overnight getting a 9-hour tattoo (which happened once), then I'm not as into it.

Also: you are one lucky bastard to have work from Filip!

I agree on the money thing. Milking it ain't cool. Haven't had that experience. I've watched it go down though by people who shouldn't have to play that game!

Chad Koeplinger's name should have come up long ago - dude is so fucking fast that sometimes, I think for laughs, he posts the amounts of times things took under photos on facebook. It's wild. Combination of years and years of practice, as well as years invested finding the perfect machines for your hand speeds... regardless, when you're getting a hguge piece it's so nice to have someone that speedy!

Chad Koeplinger's name should have come up long ago - dude is so fucking fast that sometimes, I think for laughs, he posts the amounts of times things took under photos on facebook. It's wild. Combination of years and years of practice, as well as years invested finding the perfect machines for your hand speeds... regardless, when you're getting a hguge piece it's so nice to have someone that speedy!

You beat me to it. Chad put down a buzzard that takes up most of the top of my left thigh in about 3 hours. Marcus Kuhn is pretty fast as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a sleeve by Filip Leu done in 12 hours. It consists of a dragon, chrysanthemums (three of), family chop and a cover up. Oh yeah full colour. Best time ever being in Switzerland hanging out and watching everything intently. Three hours of drawing then 6 hours lines and background. A week later 6 hours colouring. check out photos here Adrian....

chad did an anchor/captains wheel/banner on my ribs fr arm pit to hip (almost thigh) in about 5 hrs. and yes it hurt

i love it. hes so fuckin nuts!

• 2 weeks later...

Ed Young beat Stan Moskowitz's time of 4 hours doing the Battle Royal and did it in 3. Conney Island Freddy Grossman took 11 to do Jack Dracula's. Ed did it at his regular pace but that piece in outline alone is like the death of a thousand cuts and will hurt yer hand doing it, he shook it out and went for the shading and finished it all within 3 hours. Ed's back piece was don by Scott Harrison and Scott took 3 hours and 45 minutes for the full back size Rose of No Mans Land and that was soo long ago I can't recall the year, Scott did it in my shop and when I walked in Ed had a tapped look I have never seen since on his face. Best part of getting tattooed is when the operator sez "We're Done", ha!