June 2012 Best Tattoo of the Month Contest

Too early for me to have decent pix of this work, I only got it tonight, but if you like Traditional stuff, you may find it interesting.

Originally done as an advertising sign by Ralph Johnstone for his parlor in the arcades on south State Street in Chicago, and repainted by Nick Colella as his signature sign at CTC. He's had it hanging there over his work station for I don't know how many years, and in the times I've sat for him, it just kinda grew on me. He told me tonight he's never put it on anyone else, so I guess I got a one-of-a-kind piece of Chicago tattooing history, from one of Chicago's tattooing legends.

Nick Colella / Chicago Tattooing Company. I can't recommend Nick enough. He is a wonderful artist, good people, fast, accurate, and skillful tattooist, and an all-around good guy. Anyone thinking of gettinng tattooed in the Chi should give serious consideration to him.

I did post this in another thread, so if that's not kool, please, would a mod just delete this. Thanks to all of you who have "liked" my posts here thus far...even if I ahven't personally thanked you all, please know that it is appreciated!

@Dan S I saw that one on Instagram.

I couldn't really appreciate how good it is on the small screen on my phone.

Nice story behind the tattoo as well, thanks for sharing.

Thanks a lot...ya know, the damn thing kept looking smaller, and larger, and smaller...

When i got there, Nick has the transfer done, and it was about three inches too long for the target area, but is just didn't look proportionate to the sign to either of us. He resized it, and we were both kinda shaking our heads at how small it seemed, and then he started putting it on.

All of a sudden, it got a LOT bigger! Gave us both a chuckle for the evening, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. Not everyone's cup-o-meat, but it most definitely ain't yer normal tiger!

Too early for me to have decent pix of this work, I only got it tonight, but if you like Traditional stuff, you may find it interesting.

Originally done as an advertising sign by Ralph Johnstone for his parlor in the arcades on south State Street in Chicago, and repainted by Nick Colella as his signature sign at CTC. He's had it hanging there over his work station for I don't know how many years, and in the times I've sat for him, it just kinda grew on me. He told me tonight he's never put it on anyone else, so I guess I got a one-of-a-kind piece of Chicago tattooing history, from one of Chicago's tattooing legends.

Nick Colella / Chicago Tattooing Company. I can't recommend Nick enough. He is a wonderful artist, good people, fast, accurate, and skillful tattooist, and an all-around good guy. Anyone thinking of gettinng tattooed in the Chi should give serious consideration to him.

I did post this in another thread, so if that's not kool, please, would a mod just delete this. Thanks to all of you who have "liked" my posts here thus far...even if I ahven't personally thanked you all, please know that it is appreciated!

i saw this/posted this on my tumblr. really great. nick does such awesome tattoos. i need to make a trip to chicago sometime soon and stop over at ctc.

i saw this/posted this on my tumblr. really great. nick does such awesome tattoos. i need to make a trip to chicago sometime soon and stop over at ctc.

Let me know when, I'll meet you there n buy ya a cuppa joe! You are absolutely right...Nick does amazing work, but then, ALL of the men working out of CTC put out radical work. Take someone like Mike Dalton that's been there, what, close to 40 years? Mario Desa-what an amazing talent! You can't lose.

Now, I SHOULD have just posted the pic on the "Best Tattoo of June" thread-it got more likes here than it did there!

Let me know when, I'll meet you there n buy ya a cuppa joe! You are absolutely right...Nick does amazing work, but then, ALL of the men working out of CTC put out radical work. Take someone like Mike Dalton that's been there, what, close to 40 years? Mario Desa-what an amazing talent! You can't lose.

Now, I SHOULD have just posted the pic on the "Best Tattoo of June" thread-it got more likes here than it did there!

haha right on. yeah, that shop is amazing. i don't think you can go wrong with any of the folks there.

@Dan S thank you, I am really pleased with it.

The healing was fine, a very small amount of scabbing a little bruising. No problems at all.

What's happening with your tiger?

It's getting there...just a few small areas where I could lose a pound or two are being difficult! The tail and lower legs are right at my waistband, and no matter how I roll it down, it's been getting rubbed. No major, just the usual "it's always something"! I tend to scab pretty heavily with black, but the color is all healed.

Anyhow, now I'm gonna hafta meditate on a side trip to London next time I'm in Germany!

It's getting there...just a few small areas where I could lose a pound or two are being difficult! The tail and lower legs are right at my waistband, and no matter how I roll it down, it's been getting rubbed. No major, just the usual "it's always something"! I tend to scab pretty heavily with black, but the color is all healed.

Anyhow, now I'm gonna hafta meditate on a side trip to London next time I'm in Germany!

I know, some areas are a little tricky to heal. Myself and @jade1955 cover those areas with kitchen paper towel and this stops clothes rubbing.

Your tiger and lady is superb!

London is a great place to visit and you will find some of the best tattoo shops there!!

I know, some areas are a little tricky to heal. Myself and @jade1955 cover those areas with kitchen paper towel and this stops clothes rubbing.

Your tiger and lady is superb!

London is a great place to visit and you will find some of the best tattoo shops there!!

There is a lot more black on my tiger than you have, old old old design, so it's taking it's time! Thank you for the kind words, but truly, yours is the best, what, "lifelike" tiger I have ever seen! Mine is from a certain era, and they are complete opposites. you shoud be very proud of yours.

Chicago has an excellent shop as well. Actually, some people claim more than one, but...

If you and 1955 ever get over here, let me know and I'll give you the tour!