Ain't no homo going to make it to heaven.

jade1955

I want to add that it really makes me sick that with all the horrible shit going on in the world that one of the main concerns, in the US at least, is whether gays should have the right to marry.

Makes me want to puke.

Look, I know you call it "indoctrination with hatred" but the word indoctrinate comes from doctrine. The Old Testament and New Testament repeatedly condemn homosexuals and say they will not go to Heaven.

I say that as an atheist with no skin in the game or desire to "troll" or anything. I went to religious school myself and wanted to be a pastor at one point. The Bible is pretty clear on this.

Relgion and Politics, I have grown to hate both of them, in fact the only thing I hate more is discussing them at this point. All I really know is that all dogs go to heaven. Regardless of one's religious belief or opinion on another person's sexual orientation, teaching you child to speak in that manner lacks class and is a direct reflection of that particular organization and their moral values.

Well, not only does it condemn homosexuality there are numerous parts that call for the entire community to drag a homosexual out of the campsite and participate in execution via stoning.

So for instance, Leviticus, an Old Testament book of religious rules says this...

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." Leviticus 20:13

Don't hate the little 4 year old kid. He's just doing a Veggie Tales version of Levite regulations. Here is another verse that I remember being used to explain the high incidence of STDs and AIDS amongst homosexual men...

This is the part that the kid is "singing" about. Pretty strong stuff.

God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved (this is a part used to explain STDs and AIDS). When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty (God's Death Penalty isn't just Hell. Some say it is AIDS. Sometimes said to be the "Anally Inflicted Death Sentence" by people like Fred Phelps) for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too (Kicker quote explaining how gays are trying to "convert the young" to gayness).
Romans 1:24-32

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 reiterates further that homosexuals will not go to Heaven.

Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Honestly I grew up catholic, where going to church was more of a gesture than anything. The pope would chime in with his stance from time to time, but that usually didn't change people's stance one way or another. I consider myself an atheist, and other would classify me as a militant atheist, but I do know that there truly are some people who believe in both civil rights for all people and god, it's not necessarily an either or choice. Those who make it that are just using it as an excuse to justify prejudice. I can't really wrap my head around it either sometimes, but I think part of evolving as a society is evaluating people on a personal level, not a broad generalization.

Raised Roman Catholic.

Figured out it wasnt for me at around 12-13.

Haven't looked back since!

The major problem I have with things like the OP, is the way people pick and choose shit out of religious texts. I say either stick to your shit and follow everything through and through or take it all as a guideline of types with some cool stories.

Great example I find quoted to me from time to time (and relevant to this forum).

Leviticus 19:28 “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put (tattoo) marks on yourselves."

This has been spoken to me before, then they go on to say I'm going to hell for my tattoos..blah blah. I usually wait for them to finish and follow up with....do you also know what is included in Leviticus 19?

"Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it." - oops got an rare steak

"Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." - oops hair cut

"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them" - Shit, a shitton of people screwed this one

"Do not go about spreading slander among your people." - most people have done this as well

There are more examples, but I do not feel like getting into them. I find it funny that the people usually spewing out bible verses usually only remember a handful of them that fit their particular opinion, but seem to "forget" all the others, or "those dont matter anymore, etc etc"

Dispensationalist Christianity (majority of them) will say the laws were given as "dispensations" and that Jesus Christ's perfect fulfillment of the laws means the Levite laws aren't in effect anymore.

Kinda have to say that when 40 percent of the congregation has non-earring piercings and tattoos. Can't lose that much business. :)

Relgion and Politics, I have grown to hate both of them, in fact the only thing I hate more is discussing them at this point. All I really know is that all dogs go to heaven. Regardless of one's religious belief or opinion on another person's sexual orientation, teaching you child to speak in that manner lacks class and is a direct reflection of that particular organization and their moral values.

Best off letting the kid draw his own conclusions in the game of life.. learn it all on the street corner like most of us did. We turned out okay.....

CG

Look, I know you call it "indoctrination with hatred" but the word indoctrinate comes from doctrine. The Old Testament and New Testament repeatedly condemn homosexuals and say they will not go to Heaven.

God didn't write the bible, either. Politically motivated zealots have had their hand in it for centuries.

Raised Roman Catholic.

Figured out it wasnt for me at around 12-13.

Haven't looked back since!

The major problem I have with things like the OP, is the way people pick and choose shit out of religious texts. I say either stick to your shit and follow everything through and through or take it all as a guideline of types with some cool stories.

Great example I find quoted to me from time to time (and relevant to this forum).

This has been spoken to me before, then they go on to say I'm going to hell for my tattoos..blah blah. I usually wait for them to finish and follow up with....do you also know what is included in Leviticus 19?

"Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it." - oops got an rare steak

"Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." - oops hair cut

"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them" - Shit, a shitton of people screwed this one

"Do not go about spreading slander among your people." - most people have done this as well

There are more examples, but I do not feel like getting into them. I find it funny that the people usually spewing out bible verses usually only remember a handful of them that fit their particular opinion, but seem to "forget" all the others, or "those dont matter anymore, etc etc"

Actually not all kinds of tattoos have been condemned by the church. Christian tattooing has a history as far back as the beginning of the religion itself. Crusaders often got tattoos upon arrival to the Holy Land but the evidence exists of much older practices of 'marking one self (by pricking the skin) as one who carries the signs of the lord Jesus Christ. I'm not into the religious history that much so I'm not going to try to be smart. This book Written on the body: the tattoo in European and American history - Jane Caplan - Google Books

tries to uncover the hidden history (or as author of one of the essays puts it 'the stolen history') of tattooing in Europe, from when the word tattoo hasn't yet been known.

Actually not all kinds of tattoos have been condemned by the church. Christian tattooing has a history as far back as the beginning of the religion itself. Crusaders often got tattoos upon arrival to the Holy Land but the evidence exists of much older practices of 'marking one self (by pricking the skin) as one who carries the signs of the lord Jesus Christ. I'm not into the religious history that much so I'm not going to try to be smart. This book Written on the body: the tattoo in European and American history - Jane Caplan - Google Books

tries to uncover the hidden history (or as author of one of the essays puts it 'the stolen history') of tattooing in Europe, from when the word tattoo hasn't yet been known.

Yea didn't want to get into that, but yes you are correct. Tattoos amongst Christians during their time of persecution were popular to mark "hey I'm in the club too", because during history, being Christian was a death sentence (and in some places still today!). A little tip here (great example is Leviticus 19:28) is the power of translation to affect the meaning of a passage. There is no "direct translation" from one language to the next and subtle differences throughout a text can modify the entire idea behind a passage.

Example:

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

New International Version (©1984)

"'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

Douay-Rheims Bible

You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh, for the dead, neither shall you make in yourselves any figures or marks: I am the Lord.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)

Never slash your body to mourn the dead, and never get a tattoo. I am the LORD.

- See how they changed that up a bit from the King James version?

The point I was going after was how people hand pick passages to validate their own opinions, but ignore everything that doesn't.

I was raised at a Presbyterian boarding school way out in the sticks of Mississippi. I usually stay quiet about these topics but i wanted to chime in on a few things

There is a really easy answer to any of these scriptures that have been posted and it's this-

All of these quotes come from the Old Testament. Which makes them history of the bible and are not to be adhered as Christian law. If it were then these guys who use Old Testament law better not shave and have a goat ready for the alter every week amongst many other fun things.

After Jesus came (New Testament) there is only one law that must be followed and that is faith in him and the trinity. That and treat others nicely.

That's how modern (since the cross) Christianity was set up by him to be, that's why he was here according to the bible. The problem comes in to man themselves editing and pushing their views and using it as a veil for political and financial gain.

So all that being said, homosexuality was never mentioned in those "new" rules. If it were they would use it. As far as the "cutting" scripture, it is also old testament.

There is some rhetoric to throw back at people

Q.E.D.