Places to stay in Oakland?

Going to be in the bay area Sept 4-8th. So far I know I am getting tattooed at Tattoo 13 by Dan Gilsdorf, and hopefully someone else but am still waiting to hear back from a couple shops. I have only stayed in SF and just walked or took bus everywhere I needed to go, but since I will have my son with me, and also have a lot of things going on in Oakland, and would like to tour a couple breweries, possibly Russian River or Lagunitas so I am getting a car. Does anyone have any input on a smart area to get lodging (should I stay in Oakland or SF or is there someplace else nearby that works out better).

Also would love to have dinner with any LST members in the area who can make, mind you it is a little far ahead in the future and their is time to iron out those details.

Let us know as it gets closer as that'll be right around our two year birthday so I am sure we'll be having something and we can try to plan it during that time.

Are you looking for something in Oakland proper or just a reasonably priced hotel? If reasonably priced look at Emeryville as it is the first town over the Bay Bridge which means an easy middle point if you'll have a car.

Yeah I guess i just feel like staying in Union Square like we usually do, might be a little too hectic with a small child and I really have nothing going on that side of town this trip, except maybe a trip to tattoo city which is still a hike from there anyway. But at the same time I want to have some cool stuff close by. I think both suggestions sound like a good possibility and will check them out.

If you stay in Marin, you're close to Lagunitas brewery and lots of fun activities to do w/the little one like Muir Woods, Stinson Beach, driving up the 1 to Hog Island to get oysters. Ok fine, maybe these are things that I like to do...

Good to know. My general game plan is to fly in early to Oakland and head straight to Petaluma area out the gate. spend the night in Petaluma or maybe in Marin as you suggested. Is it weird that Dead Kennedys are the first thing that pop into my mind about Marin. The next day we head back down south to San Rafael for appointment at Spider Murphy's and then back to Oakland/SF proper. Always looking for stuff to do with little one so thanks for suggestions.

The next day we head back down south to San Rafael for appointment at Spider Murphy's and then back to Oakland/SF proper. Always looking for stuff to do with little one so thanks for suggestions.

Who from Spider Murphy's? We live pretty close to there...if you go you should eat at Sol Food. Just a couple of blocks from SM (it used to be right net door but they moved to a bigger space a couple blocks away)

• 2 weeks later...