Tattoo Artists - Exercise, diet and health

Petri Aspvik

I've been working on for a article series for TAM about tattoo artist and how they maintaing their health for quite some time now. It was originally going for the mag as a huge article, but its going for the blog now. The first one is up. Marcus Kuhn

Health Issues With Tattooing (Marcus Kuhn) « TAM Blog

More to come!

ps. They asked for a profile pic, that was the only one I had around :D

this is awesome dude!

My husband and I have discussions about this kind of thing all the time. Like what kinds of things should I send him for lunch and what's the best kind of chair to buy and all that same stuff as in the article.

I'm glad he mentioned the hearing loss from the constant machine noise. My dude is known everywhere he's worked for having some really loud machines and I have long thought that it's caused hearing loss.

My man had been into juicing for a while now and I'm starting to get into a bit too. Usually I'll bring him a big jug to the shop and he says it really helps.

Looking forward to seeing more!

That was pretty interesting. Short, but informative. I am with Ursala on the hearing loss thing. The owner at the shop I work at runs some old swing gate machines, to which name I shall not reveal. And I have to walk to the other side of the shop because the noise they make turns my stomach. Seriously it makes me feel ill. Just imagine what it does to an ear drum.

Can't comment as an artist, but I've spent many, many, many hours in shops. Being tattooed, watching, and just hanging out. I've seen a lot of the repetitive motion injuries, and the frequency-related hearing loss has got to be brutal.

Reading the article, it does seem that a balance of mental and physical training can only help, so I'll throw something out for people to think on.

Martial Arts.

Any kind, really, I won't get into all the usual "this is the best" routine, anything that you learn and practice on, hopefully, a daily basis will help immensely with strength, coordination, focus, and, if you're getting decent training, mentally.

It take a good solid year, to get a grounding in any real martial art, and the study can last a lifetime-I've been involved in one form or another of the arts for a year or two shy of 50 years, and I'm still learning. Thing is, once you get the basics down, you can develop a workout that you can fit into whatever odd chunk of time you have available. In 20 minutes or a half hour you can work up a good sweat, get your body back in place, and get your head together as well. Burns stress like a mother, and hey-if a visitor to your shop gets too rowdy, it doesn't hurt to be able to walk him out the door without resorting to firearms and police and all of that.

Just a suggestion, don't mean to say I'm an expert on what a tattooist should do.

That was pretty interesting. Short, but informative. I am with Ursala on the hearing loss thing. The owner at the shop I work at runs some old swing gate machines, to which name I shall not reveal. And I have to walk to the other side of the shop because the noise they make turns my stomach. Seriously it makes me feel ill. Just imagine what it does to an ear drum.

There are longer ones coming. Baxter and Ciferri did long as hell inserts.

Read it man. Its not long :P We touch on the mental aspect but the weight is on physical stuff. And this is just the first one, plenty more to come.

excellent and important subject matter, and I have never seen anyone else touch on this before. kudos for bringing it to light. my gf thinks i'm going deaf because i'm getting old(?!), but i blame it 50% on the invention of the Walkman and 50% on holding a hot-rodded doorbell in my ear for countless hours.

i believe any type of cardio is important whether it be lifting heavy things of karate kicks or whatever. marcus is right, it is incredibly easy to put on weight in what we do. personally i go for swimming, skating and recently have started running as well.

i believe any type of cardio is important whether it be lifting heavy things of karate kicks or whatever. marcus is right, it is incredibly easy to put on weight in what we do. personally i go for swimming, skating and recently have started running as well.

Something I see a lot of is guy with a pretty extensive background in strength training coming back from an injury ,lay-off or whatever without the necessary conditioning to lift heavy . They are literally wheel spinning in the gym getting no where cause of their stubborn dogmatic mindset to throw around heavy iron above all else .Cardio is a big factor and provides a base for any athletic endeavour .

I finally started my workout routine. Been going at it pretty steady for about a month (sans 5 days I took off because of bronchitis). Mixed combo of medium weight lifting and cardio. I've definitely started to get definition back in my arms and shoulders. I've dropped about 7 pounds as well. Gotta get back to my 185 fighting weight. So, that's about 25 pounds.