When to add "filler" tattoos

slayer9019

As I continue getting tattooed, I have always wondered should I wait to get the smaller "filler" tattoos when I start running out of room or is it a good idea to get them now. I am far from running out of room but the spots I have tattoos now feel a bit incomplete with gaps around them. I know some people say it's better to wait.

Any thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of the dots stars smoke wind bars just for the sake of filling space but more along the lines of smaller tattoos in the gaps between bigger tattoos

dots and stars could be considered smaller tattoos in the gaps...

wind bars and smoke are often what can help bring together a bigger piece. Some Japanese back pieces in progress look really weird to me until those wind bars are dropped in

I like filling as I go. 'Negative' space is only 'negative' if it's in the foreground. Good background fill is imporant, and gives the tattoo a frame of reference and it gives the viewer a sense of time and place.

I am more stringent and particular about an artist's smoke, clouds, wind bars, water then I would be about skulls or hanyas, dragons. It matters.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...