Newly tattooed and news advice

cccasady

So I need advice asap! I just got an half sleeve outline that's only 3 days old. I am participating in a race in 4 days where they throw colored powder (I think it's corn starch) at you. I don't want to mess up my new tattoo but not sure how to protect it. My tattoo shop has said NOT to cover it with Saran Wrap because it shouldn't have anything tight rubbing against it and not allowing it to breath. They also said no cloth materials/gauze because the powder will get wet (from my sweat) and soak through the material and then touch my ink. So what do I do?? Not attending the race isn't an option. :confused:

I always sleep in saran wrap after a tattoo. It helps with the swelling and (with a little Aquaphor) helps the healing process. I mean, as long as you're not getting tarred and feathered, the sweat should wash away any corn starch. And how long are you racing? A 5k or 10k should be no problem at all. 30-45 minutes and then you can towel off and clean up.

I always sleep in saran wrap after a tattoo. It helps with the swelling and (with a little Aquaphor) helps the healing process. I mean, as long as you're not getting tarred and feathered, the sweat should wash away any corn starch. And how long are you racing? A 5k or 10k should be no problem at all. 30-45 minutes and then you can towel off and clean up.

I've actually been slowly moving to the "less is more" approach and have been getting much better results.

No saran wrap

Aquaphor for only the first 2-3 days

Lotion it only as needed

But I was the ever living shit outta it with burning hot water 5 times a day

Never healed as cleanly or as fast with this approach.

Everybody has something that works for them. These days, I just use Brand-X unscented, hypoallergenic hand lotion. Once upon a time, when I got a LOT of work done at once, I'd use Preparation H to knock down the swelling. Believe it or not, it was being recommended at the time, and it worked just fine. But really makes ya smell like an asshole!

I really don't think some corn starch on it will hurt, either. If you're really worried about it, carry a bottle of water or wear a camelback and use it to sluice the powder off as you run.

So just to be extra cautious, you think it's ok to use Saran Wrap during the race? I was told that doing that will trap bacteria.

So just to be extra cautious, you think it's ok to use Saran Wrap during the race? I was told that doing that will trap bacteria.

Just me, but no, I wouldn't. I have never used any type of wrap or bandage after the first 3 or 4 hours, ever.

C'mon, a little cornstarch won't hurt. Carry your water-bottle n sluice the tattoo off now and again when it gets sweaty or funky.

3 days ago + another 4, thats a week so should be pretty much healed and not an open wound anymore.

Just wash it after race.

I agree with @bulldog Because it is just the outline less surface area of your skin is affected so it should be healed well enough. However I would stay away from sarin wrap as it will trap sweat & bacteria. Your new tattoo needs the air to get to it to heal. So I wouldn't worry too much. Just out of interest, why do they have to throw coloured corn starch powder over you?

For future reference pre-planning your tattoo sessions to fit in with other activities is allways a good idea if you can.

We've all been there. Last year I booked two lower leg tattoos a couple of days before the London Tattoo Convention. After walking around all day my legs swelled up so much I had to take two days off work.

A week should be fine, granted its peeled and not reddish and swollen anymore. However, if you're really worried about the cornstarch on your tattoo, you may want to skip the run. In my opinion, the race is one day; your tattoo is forever. Just food for thought. I never mess around with them or push anything that first 2 weeks, but it also depends on how you heal. I would just watch it and make the call yourself as the run nears. You'll be a better judge of your body and what it can handle than any one else.

A week should be fine, granted its peeled and not reddish and swollen anymore. However, if you're really worried about the cornstarch on your tattoo, you may want to skip the run. In my opinion, the race is one day; your tattoo is forever. Just food for thought. I never mess around with them or push anything that first 2 weeks, but it also depends on how you heal. I would just watch it and make the call yourself as the run nears. You'll be a better judge of your body and what it can handle than any one else.

pretty good advice. most of my tattoos have taken me in the realm of two weeks to heal. i'm usually very cautious with what i do while i'm healing tattoos, so i'd most likely not partake in the race. but if it's something you really want to do, i'd say do it if a bunch of scabs have begun to peel.

I wouldn't wrap it in Saran Wrap for the race. After the first night, I've been taught never to rewrap your tattoo. The first night you are trying to pull the lymph out and that is why you have vaseline and saran wrap.

You should really be asking the person who tattooed you, what they think, after all it's their work in progress. That being said an outline after a week shouldn't be that big of a deal, hell it should be about healed. You really shouldn't even need aquaphor after the first three days. If it was colored and shaded i might give it another week, but again ask your tattooer to look at tattoo and see what they think.