Athiests

slayer9019

I find out if you just ARE, you can get most out of stuff. If sonething makes you change your beliefs or "lack" of them, the you just adapt.

I will quote the brilliant late Richard Feynman

You see, one thing, is I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things but I'm not absolutely sure of anything and then many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask, "Why we are here?" and what that question might mean. I might think about it a bit and then if I can't figure it out then I go on to something else. But I don't have to know an answer, I don't have to... I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose which is the way it really is as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me." -Richard Feynman-

And I have been a HC atheist, but not anymore.

Went through the whole cycle...raised hardcore RC, figured out THAT was bullshit at an early age, took a whack at plain-jane bible christianity in the early seventies-man, they had all kindsa chicks in church then! Spent some years following Identity Christianity, couldn't keep my head around that, and got into Wotanism, or Asatru.

Then I realized we really don't need any of that stuff. Hey-one creation legend is as good as another. Now, whatever. IF I die and there's someone there wants to even a score with me, bring it on, but personally, I don't think there'll be anyone waiting but worms.

so glad i no longer believe in religion. my mom is very religious. she once said to me, "i know for a fact that there is a god." to which i ask, "how can you be so sure?" her response was, "if there were no god, how could you explain mountains." i fucking kid you not.

Did you then proceed to explain plate tectonics or was I the only little asshole that used to throw his limited knowledge of science into the religious argument with Mom? Worst mistake she made was getting me a library card.

Personally, I know there are forces that are greater than myself like natural forces, the universe, energy and mortality, but if there's some greater plan, I can't understand it outside of my own experience. When I meditate, I use words like "God" and "Jesus to focus my attention outside my day to day crap, because those were the words I learned from childhood to understand 'the spiritual'. I have these mental pictures of what that looks like, because I'm into imagery, but I can't say my idea is is the 'correct' one (although I'm close to positive Jesus didn't look like Kris Kristofferson).

So that's my belief system in a nutshell; I'm not totally sure how you'd label that.

Did you then proceed to explain plate tectonics or was I the only little asshole that used to throw his limited knowledge of science into the religious argument with Mom? Worst mistake she made was getting me a library card.

Personally, I know there are forces that are greater than myself like natural forces, the universe, energy and mortality, but if there's some greater plan, I can't understand it outside of my own experience. When I meditate, I use words like "God" and "Jesus to focus my attention outside my day to day crap, because those were the words I learned from childhood to understand 'the spiritual'. I have these mental pictures of what that looks like, because I'm into imagery, but I can't say my idea is is the 'correct' one (although I'm close to positive Jesus didn't look like Kris Kristofferson).

So that's my belief system in a nutshell; I'm not totally sure how you'd label that.

hahaha i sure did. she still tried refuting what i was telling her. there was no use. she is devout.

I'm an atheist, though my parents tried really hard to get me into religion, any religion. My mom's Southern Baptist and my dad is Jewish--they were hoping I'd go one way or another, but I guess they just canceled each other out. It was a huge pain in the ass to try to get me to go to either Hebrew or Sunday school, so they gave up forcing it on me by... second grade or so.