Adressed to the tattoo artists out there!

Some what empty of an idea so far, but my next tattoo is going to go on my forearm. And I was thinking of a cardinal, or some sort of bird in flight.

I would like for it to be a tad traditional looking when it comes to shading, and the feathering & all but still hold its own when it comes to being a bird tattoo.

What I'm asking, so that I can draw it out myself and present it to the tattoo artist I may go to (don't worry, I'll be getting their exact opinion on what I've posted now), in your opinion what may be the best positioning for this?

The size I was thinking would probably be at least 6 in.

REPOSTED

Wrazz, you live in Chicago, here's a thought. Go on down to Chicago Tattoing COmpany on Belmont just west of B'way, and take a look through the flash, paintings, script samples, and so forth that they have there. If you see something remotely interesting, you could start there, or ask to speak to one of the artists, Nick Colella and Mario Desa, Mike Dalton, they're all outstanding, and I'm sure they'll work with you to come up with something you'll be proud to have.

the best positioning would be wherever you like it placed best. the end. oh, and pick a solid artist and let him/her do their thang with it.

I rescind my previous post. I just realized you're the guy from the other thread. go overanalyze everything and get butthurt when no one on here tells you what you want to hear. or, just maybe, set your ego aside and realize that @Dan S just gave you the best advice you're going to get from the internet

Anyone thinking of giving advice may want to read this thread, also started by the OP; http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-101/2140-anyone-care-help-tattoo.html

Particularly this:

Stopped checking up on this shit forum since this thread.

Oh, fuck. Didn't exactly mean shit forum, just the large majority of people that post in it, are shitty people.

Since you are looking for advice I will offer mine. Whether you like it or not that is up to you and I don't need any critiquing on the advice provided henceforth.

First, it is your first tattoo so it is a big deal to you. I get it, I was there (we all were there) at one point. While it does seem like a big deal now, afterwards you will look back and realize you over thought it.

Second, set expectations correctly. You are getting tattooed, and images do not translate from paper to skin very well in my opinion. One is a 3-dimensional living organ, the other is a 2-dimensional piece of paper. I did not fully comprehend this until after I got my first tattoo.

Third, instead of researching on the internet go out into the real world. A lot of people (me included) relied heavily on the internet, magazines or "friends". While researching is a good thing for sure, it is only the start of the journey. You are only at the very infancy of your tattoo journey right now. Find a shop in your area (or out of it if you are up to it) and go there.

Fourth, talk to a real live tattoo artist. If you want the best opinion on getting your first tattoo, the person that would be applying it is bar-none the best person to get advice from. Even if you talk to a really good artist, this doesn't mean all that much unless he is putting on the tattoo. Tattoo artists are a varied bunch, simply due to them being human. They all have their own style, limitations, ideas, and imaginations. This is the reason people are saying "Just do it already".

Fifth, when people say they don't work for you here, it's because they don't work for you. Instead of firing off insults, first look at it from their perspective. You joined a community of people and without adding to the community you just fired off a question. This question has been covered time and time again. I personally have learned much from this forum and it has answered questions I never had in the first place, making me a better informed customer. Posting up a question without any bit of due-diligence researching is rude. I find it similar to walking into a clubhouse and shouting "HOW DO YOU GET KILLER TATZ?", instead of mingling with the club members and learning, after which you can formulate a proper question.

Finally, you have insulted members of this community. You responded similarly to a child not getting their way. You asked for an opinion/advice and did not get the answer you wanted so you resorted to uneducated responses, insults and general ass-hattery. If you follow my advice that is great, and I hope it helps you on your way. If you continue to throw "internet temper tantrums", please just keep it to this thread as I enjoy the rest of the community discussions too much as they are without random insults.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you just failed to see through the sarcasm and "rib poking" to see there was an abundance of advice offered, so this is why I forumlated this response in almost novel form.

Reposted for your convinience

REPOSTED

Wrazz, you live in Chicago, here's a thought. Go on down to Chicago Tattoing COmpany on Belmont just west of B'way, and take a look through the flash, paintings, script samples, and so forth that they have there. If you see something remotely interesting, you could start there, or ask to speak to one of the artists, Nick Colella and Mario Desa, Mike Dalton, they're all outstanding, and I'm sure they'll work with you to come up with something you'll be proud to have.

What he said.

REPOSTED

I know, was planning on doing that but until then I made a post.. on a tattoo forum.

zzz

Oh man that hazing got me, I'm so angry.

Arrrgh you belittled my idea. Arrrgh.

is that the reaction you were looking for

I didn't belittle your idea one bit. My first tattoo was a bird tattoo as well and I don't regret it. I just found a dodo bird particularly fitting for you given the amount of great advice you've been given already. Whatever. I'm done with this thread because it's doing nothing but riling up negativity from me.

In the words of @SirBlazeAlot , peacethefuckkouttthomosss

hahahaha. @dcostello - still the best signature ever!

Or, ya know, do some research and find out that there ARE, after all, other worthy shops in Chicago besides just CTC...I quite like CTC (I have a piece from Josh, a good dude and solid tattooer) but the OP might be surprised to learn that there are actually other shops you can get great artwork done at in Chicago. Just saying.

Or, ya know, do some research and find out that there ARE, after all, other worthy shops in Chicago besides just CTC...I quite like CTC (I have a piece from Josh, a good dude and solid tattooer) but the OP might be surprised to learn that there are actually other shops you can get great artwork done at in Chicago. Just saying.

I think Dan was just pointing out a good shop for this kid to check out that he knows personally. I didn't get from his post that he was saying CTC is the one and only place to get a tattoo in Chicago. Just my $0.02

I think Dan was just pointing out a good shop for this kid to check out that he knows personally. I didn't get from his post that he was saying CTC is the one and only place to get a tattoo in Chicago. Just my $0.02

a

I agree. Took a nice thoughtful post by Dan (which was not necessary considering the question asked) and shit on it. There are other good shops in Chicago. I completely agree, but no reason to be rude about Dan's post.

Yeah, I imagine there are, but I've never been in any of them. I know Deluxe must have some good artists, shit, Miles Maniaci is working there, so it's gotta be a class act!

I used CTC as an example because when I was first getting tattooed, and up until relatively recently, it WAS the only shop in Chicago. In the state, actually. So, they've been there for what, 40 years or so? Anyhow, there is, without a question, more experience there than at any other shop in the city, hands down. That isn't a put-down of anyone. I got my first pro piece from Dale Grande in, I believe, 1972 0r 1973, I really don't think anyone in the city has been tattooing that long.

Another reason I used CTC is because I have seen work from many of the small shops that have sprouted up around the city in the last few years. I could do better with a single needle and thread.

I think the point was the first step is to go into a shop and talk to a tattooer. Plenty of shops in Chicago were recommended to OP in another thread he started about tattoos shops in Chicago.

Yeah, I imagine there are, but I've never been in any of them. I know Deluxe must have some good artists, shit, Miles Maniaci is working there, so it's gotta be a class act!

I used CTC as an example because when I was first getting tattooed, and up until relatively recently, it WAS the only shop in Chicago. In the state, actually. So, they've been there for what, 40 years or so? Anyhow, there is, without a question, more experience there than at any other shop in the city, hands down. That isn't a put-down of anyone. I got my first pro piece from Dale Grande in, I believe, 1972 0r 1973, I really don't think anyone in the city has been tattooing that long.

Another reason I used CTC is because I have seen work from many of the small shops that have sprouted up around the city in the last few years. I could do better with a single needle and thread.

Deluxe is a good shop, Chris Smith is a good tattooer as well and I know a lot of people around here like his machines (Also didn't Mario work there before Chicago Tattoo). I like Taylor Street for the Mike Malone collection, although since his death I have been drawn more to CTC myself. I know a few guys at Family Tattoo that can put on a solid tattoo, and another shop Called Revolution Tattoo that puts on clean tattoos as well. But yeah there are a lot of shops that I have never heard of wish I hadn't. I am sure there are others that are good just don't really know about them.

Deluxe is a good shop, Chris Smith is a good tattooer as well and I know a lot of people around here like his machines (Also didn't Mario work there before Chicago Tattoo). I like Taylor Street for the Mike Malone collection, although since his death I have been drawn more to CTC myself. I know a few guys at Family Tattoo that can put on a solid tattoo, and another shop Called Revolution Tattoo that puts on clean tattoos as well. But yeah there are a lot of shops that I have never heard of wish I hadn't. I am sure there are others that are good just don't really know about them.

Taylor Street is def a good shop, no doubt.

My point was simply find a good shop/artist, and run with it! I just used what I am familiar with.