Advice needed - Check this out - What tattoo should I get?

Please can we have a thread, area, whatever, to move the increasing number of posts asking for free advice from people who are bored, scared to visit a real-world tattoo shop, attention seeking, lonely, stupid or whatever?

I'm not adverse to giving free advice, hell, I can even be nice to people sometimes but it's getting a little cluttered in here. The signal/noise ratio is getting harder and harder to manage or respond to without sarcasm.

Reading 'Tattoo 101' is getting more and more like hangin' out on the wrong side of the reception desk on a busy saturday afternoon and less like an interesting or stimulating discussion between people who love tattoos and tattooing.

Sorry if I'm pissing on anyone's parade.

Please can we have a thread, area, whatever, to move the increasing number of posts asking for free advice from people who are bored, scared to visit a real-world tattoo shop, attention seeking, lonely, stupid or whatever?

I'm not adverse to giving free advice, hell, I can even be nice to people sometimes but it's getting a little cluttered in here. The signal/noise ratio is getting harder and harder to manage or respond to without sarcasm.

Reading 'Tattoo 101' is getting more and more like hangin' out on the wrong side of the reception desk on a busy saturday afternoon and less like an interesting or stimulating discussion between people who love tattoos and tattooing.

Sorry if I'm pissing on anyone's parade.

As always, Stewart you are correct. I second this motion.

Let's call it "Tattoo Advice"

A suggestion might be to make the newbies make more of a contribution before being allowed to start threads.

I've witnessed some newbies just going into the initiation thread and just posting multiple "Hi" s to get their post count up.

I appreciate it might be difficult to monitor though.

I'm going to second that suggestion, and would be glad to assist.

A suggestion might be to make the newbies make more of a contribution before being allowed to start threads.

I've witnessed some newbies just going into the initiation thread and just posting multiple "Hi" s to get their post count up.

I appreciate it might be difficult to monitor though.

Yea this behaviour is not limited to this forum. I am a member of quite a few forums (mostly professionally) and people do this ALL the time. I would like to friendly suggest that maybe a mod or two more be added. I've seen this work on other high-traffic forums. There are usually a few mods per section that keep an eye on things and move/delete/lock threads when they see fit. I have a feeling LST has grown considerable since I joined and now we see the outcomes of both good and bad of increased traffic.

No one is pissing on the parade but rather helping us work to give you a better forum so thank you.

@steve1461686340 and I hung out yesterday and brainstormed some ideas to improve the site so this adds to the list in a very helpful way.

The whole LST Team is hoping to get together soon once we can get schedules lined up and we'll implement new stuff. Until then and as always please just be as kind as possible knowing we all started out as new to this whole tattoo thing, thanks for sticking with us during these growing pains.

Can the 'reading of the newbie rules' rule somehow be changed so you have to actually click a button that says yes i've read these and if i fuck up i'm gonna get banned/thread deleted

Thanks everybody for these great suggestions!

I have implemented this one so that new users are now forced to check a box at the bottom of the (new) Forum Rules page to indicate that they have actually read them. (you won't see the checkbox unless you are new.)

Let me know if the rest of you are also being forced to read the rules - I think I have it set up correctly, but one never knows..

Keep the suggestions coming as always - they are much appreciated!