When customers think they are friends, but don't treat you that way

David Flores

People act like idiots when they're drunk and they don't even know it. I think it's good your boss told him he wouldn't be able to drink there any more. He sounds like he's not a stop at 1 or 2 kind of guy.

I do not consider my tattoo artist(s) my friends because I don't know them well enough and they don't know me...but I certainly respect them and think they are really cool.

In my work I also work with clients and as such I understand that bounds can be crossed when they get too "buddy-buddy". Invoices get paid late, etc etc. It sucks to have to be the bad guy in those situations but sometimes people need to be reminded that you are working.

My brother had one of his friends working for him. The guy developed a drinking problem and after numerous warnings my brother had to fire him. The guy and his wife were really mad, telling my brother what a prick he was and how he let his friend down. I told my brother that if that ass hole was REALLY his friend, he wouldn't have put my brother in a position where he had to fire him. You're not the bad guy, the jack ass that makes you lay down the law is the bad guy.

• 3 months later...

i think that its definantly important (for me) to have a repoire built up with my artist.. maybe not if i were to get just a peice, but somebody who i hand my flesh over to draw on to on a regular basis, we definantly need to vibe as much as i like the persons work.. a tattoo to me is a pretty intimate and personal thing..

this goes for my barber, lawyer, doctor etc. (well, maybe not if i were dying or facing life).. i need to connect with them on some level..

this works both ways.. its just respect.. i would never show up fucked up, blow off an apt, tip wack, act entitled, or go in just hang out and bother people while theyre at work.. ill only go to the shop, outside of getting work done or discussing work, to bring customers in.. in return for having this type of relationship; you get better spots, better prices, my artist will go the extra mile..

- - - Updated - - -

i guess, and correct me if im wrong, artists.. that yes, friendships can be built.. but the foundatin ultimately has to be built upon being a good customer/good artist and the mutual respect.. i talk with my artist like he is my buddy, but i also dont see him outside of the shop..

i think that its definantly important (for me) to have a repoire built up with my artist.. maybe not if i were to get just a peice, but somebody who i hand my flesh over to draw on to on a regular basis, we definantly need to vibe as much as i like the persons work.. a tattoo to me is a pretty intimate and personal thing..

this goes for my barber, lawyer, doctor etc. (well, maybe not if i were dying or facing life).. i need to connect with them on some level..

this works both ways.. its just respect.. i would never show up fucked up, blow off an apt, tip wack, act entitled, or go in just hang out and bother people while theyre at work.. ill only go to the shop, outside of getting work done or discussing work, to bring customers in.. in return for having this type of relationship; you get better spots, better prices, my artist will go the extra mile..

- - - Updated - - -

i guess, and correct me if im wrong, artists.. that yes, friendships can be built.. but the foundatin ultimately has to be built upon being a good customer/good artist and the mutual respect.. i talk with my artist like he is my buddy, but i also dont see him outside of the shop..

Respect is definitely the key word here. I think everyone who walks in the door deserves the chance to have a good experience and get a good tattoo. I can definitely understand not wanting someone who rubs you the wrong way to tattoo you. Connecting with people and being personable is part of the job. I would like to think I can find something to relate to or talk about with just about everyone that walks in the door and they can walk out feeling satisfied with the product and the experience. In some ways this process can mimic aspects of friendship, but it' s not always a two way street, in the case that started this thread, this guy was treated with the respect that you would extend to a friend, but it was no secret that he just wanted to get tattooed and that's fine as long as everyone is on the same page I suppose.

yeah, i ment the respect thing should go both ways.. not the i act one way, then in return you do this for me when i come through.. thats just my experience of being a good customer, you usually get treated well back.. and if i didnt, thats cool too.. but it def. makes me want to put my money in said artists pocket..

I am a chef. Being a chef and eating out, I sometimes get a professional courtesy of a couple free apps or dessert or a glass of wine for free or have had items taken off the bill. It is a courtesy and I always tip up to pay it back to the server. I think often times tattoo artists offer a courtesy to repeat clients & friends, but everyone should know it is at their discretion. I think some clients place too much emphasis on the bond they may create with a tattoo artist. Getting a tattoo is a very personal thing. You are letting someone alter your body by piercing your skin thousands of times. You have to have trust. That said, the client has to understand that they are sitting there paying for a service the artist is offering. If they are unhappy with the arrangement they can chose to leave or alter it. If an artist cuts you a "deal," say thank, give them a better tip and most of all don't expect that every time you get work done. Professional courtesy is a courtesy, not a given and definitely should not be expected. By coming to expect's it, the client under values the artist's skill and the relationship between artist & client. I have been hooked up by tattoo artist friends and I have paid $250/hour. Each time I go in with only one expectation....a good tattoo.

• 1 year later...