Re-wrapping tattoos

slayer9019

I tend to stick to the regime that works for me over the years. Keep the wrapping on overnight then wash in hot water and Dr Bronners soap. Wash twice a day and then after the dead skin has started to peel a little bit of moisturiser. The least fuss the better.

However I was tattooed a couple of weeks ago by Lal Hardy. The tattoo was in a place that might be a bit problematic, healing wise. He gave me a 7 day supply of pads (these are ones used in meat industry) and some A&D. Lal advised using the pads and A&D on the part of the tattoo that might be problematic. I followed Lals instructions and the tattoo healed amazingly.

Its not a regime that I would normally use but for awkward spots (knee ditch) it hits the spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of re-wrapping. I just got my right forearm done, it was healing magnificantly, a week later I went to get my inner-right forearm touched up. I typically get tattooed in the later evening hours & take the wrap off in the morning when I wake up. So, after my inner-forearm was touched up, naturally it was wrapped & I slept w/it on. The next morning (this past saturday) I woke up, took off the wrap & noticed the "red bumps" around the tattoo I had gotten a week before. I let this go a day in a half figuring it was the moisture from the wrap or maybe I put on a wee too much ointment from my touch up tattoo the previous night. Yesterday, I went to see my doc just to double check (which is always the best answer to anyone who posts the 'Hey do you guys think this is infected' threads) & turns out, yep, I have a staph infection & now I'm Dicloxacillin. So, lesson learned. If I ever have to re-wrap, I'm only leaving it on a couple hours if my hair folicals are still budding from the tattoo.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been using the rewrap method on the last 4 tattoos I've gotten and it works really well for me. Any rewrap advocates have advice for bigger pieces? I'm starting my chest/torso soon and I wonder if taping a big swath of saran wrap across my front will be as effective as wrapping around a section of my arm.

• 4 weeks later...

With most of my tattoos (some heavy shading, some with just linework) The best results have been with: Once the tattoo is complete, clean with greensoap, spray a little bit of bactine, then wrap in saran wrap. Or just wash with greensoap, dry, then wrap. I leave the wrap on until the next morning. Once the wrap is taken off, I keep it clean and dry sometimes applying a small amount of A&D. I have never re-wrapped and don't plan to. On the third day or so I start using Lubriderm/aquaphor/curel etc. while still washing 2-3 times a day. Everyone heals differently so the one-size-fits-all aftercare instructions may not be the way to go. Whatever works for you the best. If someone is a tattoo virgin just listen to what the artist says. With my tattoos my simple linework tattoos take about two weeks tops to heal. Heavy shading pieces usually take around 3 weeks sometimes a little more to completely heal.

OK, here's the deal. Saran wrap is unclean and unsterile, and yes, a bacteria trap. What I use in the shop is a non stick bandage over the tattoo, wrapped lightly in a gauze/cling type wrap. This secures the bandage, the outer wrap keeps the bandage secure and NO LEAKS. I cringe when I see someone using saran wrap. A healing tattoo is no more than an abrasion ans should be healed as such.

Feel the burn @SeeSea!

Seriously though, I don't re-wrap because every time I have it has prolonged the swelling, heat and irritation. I have really sensitive skin, and creating a situation where the skin is unable to breathe is not what my body likes at all. After getting home, the wrapping is removed ASAP.

• 2 months later...

The first time I heard of rewrapping was from the guy doing my sleeves. He's probably the first or second most experienced artist who has worked on me and he's very good. He has experience working around the world and years in NY. However, when he suggested rewrapping my arm I was in shock, in fact I'm in shock every time I see saran wrap in a tattoo shop, AFAIK it is a big mistake. Although it's really not an exact science and what works for some doesn't work for others. I heard someone say that artists started using saran wrap to avoid people removing the post session dressing just to show it to friends, hence making clear saran wrap a nice compromise to keep the wound clean and allowing people to show their new ink. Either way, I don't personally like saran wrap. It makes me sweat so much. When I had my sleeves done it only took 1 1/2 hours for me to start dripping, despite the fact that my artist used some gauze and paper towels to create a barrier to suck up all the stuff that could drip. I can't imagine rewrapping my tattoos and having them soaking wet after only 2 hours and going about doing my things while I just drip all over town. Especially in the summer. TBQH my best results have been when I use nothing during the first 24 hours. I just wash and pat dry. I cover the area with shorts or a long sleeve t-shirt and sleep in those to prevent the sheets from getting stained and the thing from getting all sticky. By the second day after I wash again, I use either bepanthen or A&D. I had to learn the hard way that less is more and if you overdo it you will end up with the opposite effect you intended when it comes to the scab.

• 1 month later...
I prefer alcohol on fresh tattoos. You never know - there could be bacteria and all sorts of stuff in there from the tattooing process. Better safe than sorry.

Highly agree with this one. Alcohol kills all bacteria and I'd use it over anything.

I have never re-wrapped, but then again none of my tattooists have told me too. My current tattooist, the one am sticking with, doesn't mention to me how to care for it lol If in doubt ask your tattooist. The ones on my arms, I covered with a light dressing, to stop me scratching in sleep at night, but I consider re-wrapping, using cling film. I do however tape the bottom of my pj leg to my ankle, to stop me scratching in sleep at night.

Also clean sheets on bed before going to sleep after fresh tattoo, and as I said follow your tattooist's aftercare. Agree with the ones that mentioned bepanthen, I swear by the stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my personal opinion and im new to tattoos and healing and it speculation. If you give it a good clean and are very careful, i mean clean hands brand new kitchen roll to dab dry after a quick wash or at least not using the first few sheets etc there should hopefully be no bacteria on the tattoo to fester, and if you wrap it correctly so it is air tight as it were and fully covered so no clothing or outside objects can even touch the tattoo i don't think there is a massive risk for it to get infected. Yes you will get more of a plasma build up and it will be moist and depending on the placement sweat slightly (maybe sweat wouldn't be good though right now lets say im talking about my current placement which is on the calf), but this is just white blood cells, wouldn't that also aid the fresh wound a little bit? at least if you did this for a day or two? Now if white blood cells being on the fresh wound wouldn't do anything but then i guess it is pointless and will just slow down the healing process and if you impatient like me and eager to that next session them 3 days longer are too long... LOL!

Now this would, i'd assume slow the process of healing a little but i've only heard of people being told to re-wrap for a maximum of 3days. My stepsister has used this method for all her tattoos and she hasn't had any problems with the healing process. I went to a different studio, and personally i think a better one.

Now i was told be to keep it wrapped for 24hours; (this was a large and long session on my first he said leave for around 4hours though that was small) then wet slightly making sure you don't soak the tattoo and use luke warm water; wash with a non-fragrance gentle soap such as sanex zero which is what i use; dab it dry with kitchen roll; i make sure to not use the first few sheets; heat some water leave my tube of Bapenthen in the hot water to give it an oiler consistency (again large tattoo makes for easier coverage) and then just be very careful with what you let touch the tattoo.

I am very careful, it's my first real tattoo so i've been rolling up my trousers or wearing shorts, if im resting my leg on something i put a clean towel down first etc. Yes this may be a little OCD but it's my first real tattoo and well i sat for 6hours with one break to pee and like 3 cigs while he was changing needles or getting colour, and i paid a far amount of money for the days work so im not risking it. Not only does this faster method mean faster healing it also means the faster it heals the sooner i get my next session.

I reckon i need another 10 hours of work. This would include background work. It's a 90s traditional oriental Dragon. (no you aint getting any pics until it is complete)

Only question i have is has anyone used Bapenthen and found something better? This is the one thing that definitely varies, what lotion to use to keep sure it doesn't dry out too much and prevent bad scabbing.

Oh and i forget this is an american site im a brit, Bapenthen is again a pure fragrance free none petroleum nappy cream. I'm sure anyone posting in here knows this but i will say it anyway just in case someone has been given bad advice don't use anything petroleum based such as Vaseline it will draw out some of the ink.

Seriously though what do you guys think of my method and also my theory on wrapped tattoos, im a tattoo noob so give me all your knowledge :D though i aint stupid, i think.

Also 10th post, thank you, thank you. *bows to applause*

Edited by sketchin
Realized this was my 10th post YAY thread time!

The artist I'm going to this Saturday suggests re-wrapping for three days (cleaning several times each day). My past work has healed very well with a compound that the artist provided - primary ingredients coconut butter and beeswax - applied VERY thin. I don't like the re-wrap idea, but it is a forearm tattoo and it might prevent rubbing against something. I think I'd rather just wear a clean knit long-sleeved shirt over it and use the previous artist's ointment (I have some left). I understand that the artist I'm going to this week is not strict on this, and if you have a preferred method, he is OK as long as it is reasonable.

The artist I'm going to this Saturday suggests re-wrapping for three days (cleaning several times each day). My past work has healed very well with a compound that the artist provided - primary ingredients coconut butter and beeswax - applied VERY thin. I don't like the re-wrap idea, but it is a forearm tattoo and it might prevent rubbing against something. I think I'd rather just wear a clean knit long-sleeved shirt over it and use the previous artist's ointment (I have some left). I understand that the artist I'm going to this week is not strict on this, and if you have a preferred method, he is OK as long as it is reasonable.

I've been using Bepanthen and my tattoo is healing really nicely though i had a few late nights and long sleeps so on slight areas of line work feel a little rough and scabby nothing serious though. But anyway i started getting little red spots so stopped the bepanthen and have just been using coco-butter. C

ould get the recipe for the ointment you were given i've heard of a people using coco-butter and beeswax. I'd like to try something new when i go for my next session, also how thin do you mean, i've been heating my bepanthen so its really runny and using what would most likely be just over the size of a pea for my whole calf and rub it in until its not greasy.

You might be able to buy the "All Natural Tattoo Aftercare" from Vivid Tattoo in Knoxville, TN, but I doubt she would ship it as that would enter into FDA territory. I've been setting it on the LCD TV for about five minutes to soften, apply a border around the tattoo, then spread and rub it in (all after washing with antibacterial foaming soap and a good rinse, air dry). Any shine left, I remove by blotting with a fresh Kleenex tissue. I re-wrapped only for the first night (still leaked and left black ink on the sheets). Kris said he'd rather have me do what has worked for me and I'm comfortable with.

BTW, Bepathen ingredients list: Aqua (water), Lanolin (some are allergic), Paraffinum liquidum (mineral oil), petrolatum (Vasoline), Panthenol (Dexpanthenol), Prunus dulcis, Cera alba, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, ozokerite, Glyceryl Oleate, Lanolin alcohol.

• 1 month later...

I was told to take my wrap off 1-2 hours after getting it and immediately begin the wash/ointment regimen. I asked my artist if I should rewrap it the following night because I wanted to go out to celebrate my friends' birthdays and he said just to cover it with clothes.

I stayed in to be safe and have let it breathe for the most part. When it's in risk of touching something (like a blanket or pants) I lightly wrap a clean bandanna around it. That way it's protected from any stray fibers or germs without suffocating. It also protects my stuff from bleeding ink and sticky ointments. I'm actually surprised there aren't cloth bandages for that specific purpose and have been wondering if there would be enough of a market if I produced some.

seen the wrapping technique in person and it really does work, it is capable of saving some intense shading (scabbing type) and it all heals evenly. It does take more work and the wrapping steps can not be missed or it defeats its purpose. Alot of trouble but if your tattoo artist has a heavy hand you might want to look into it

• 4 months later...

I was tattooed about 40 hours ago now and have been trying the re-wrap method. My artist insisted that I follow this method no exceptions. I had (and still have) a bit of concern, as this is counter intuitive to any kind of healing, tattoo or injury, that I have ever done. So far I have removed the wrap and washed with antibacterial soap 2-3 times a day, pat dry with clean paper towel, leave open to the air for 10-20 minutes, and re-wrap with plastic as instructed. No foul smell, redness, irritation, or infection has occurred. It seems to be healing completely normally. The only negative I am experiencing is dealing with a sweaty hot wrap. I will update in another couple days as to the outcome.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

I have never heard about re-wrapping untill my last tattoo. I'm not much experienced, but now I can compare several methods.

First tattoo - tribal phoenix on the upper back, suggested healing - wrap for two hours, then put the wrap away and wash and cream it regularly. Result: slow healing, very thick scabs and plastic tattoo, almost scar-like. The tattoist had quite a heavy hand too.

Second tattoo - watercoloured bird on my forearm, suggested healing - wrap till evening (done at the morning), then wash and let be. Cream not before the second day, then according to tightness and itching. Result: scabs were less thick, got down faster, the surface of the tattoo is very smooth and even. Very gentle tattoist this time.

Third - small text on my inner ankle, suggested healing - same as with the second. Result: very thin scabs, but they held quite long.

Fourth - watercolour improving/cover of the first tattoo, quite large. Suggested healing - re-wrapping for at least two days with regular washing and changing the wrap. I managed it for 48 hours with changing 3 times a day. Result: redness lasted longer than usually, very itchy tattoo for three days, but almost no scabs, just thin layers of skin peeled, like a sunburn. Half of the surface peeled down within two days, for me it is really fast healing. I cannot say much about colors and surface as it isn't all settled yet.