Re-wrapping tattoos

slayer9019

I have one question for you, experienced healers :)

Do you find any difference in rewrapping efectivity and healing process between linework and colour (shading) work?

I have healed only watercolour work with it so far and it worked wonderfully for large areas, they peeled like sunburn. But I have a small area with lines there and they didn't peel at all and it seems to me that they didn't settle yet (3 months). The small text I healed traditionally settled better. But it could be because of the placement and many other factors.

I was just wondering what the general consensus is, if some method is more useful for particular technique and some for other.

Also, I have noticed that more and more tattooers in my country discover rewrapping and have very good results with it.

• 3 months later...

My last two times getting tattooed I have used the rewrap method (per my artist's advice) and have had the best heals. The theory, I think, is that healing comes in part from your own blood plasma.

After first getting the tattoo, I leave the bandage on overnight then shower the next morning with extra hot water to make sure all the plasma and junk washes out and then one last rinse with extra cold water – something about opening and closing the pores which could be complete B.S.

First day, I don't put anything on it. That night, clean and rewrap. Helps keeps my tattooed skin from sticking to the sheets at least. Day two, same deal, but I might use some unscented moisturizer. Before I was slathering on the Aquaphor and it was blocking my pores and making me break out. Less is definitely more I've learned.

The bottom line, however, is that if you just keep it clean, you'll be fine. But this method has led to faster, cleaner heals for me.

• 1 month later...

It's interesting, over here in Ireland you'll often come across aftercare instructions that suggest keeping the tattoo wrapped for the first 3 days (obviously cleaning and re-wrapping with new cling film each time). But when I got my tattoo in FL last year, I couldn't believe it when the tattoo artist said to take the wrap off after 4 hours or so and not to re-wrap it Gaagaun) again! It seemed crazy to me. But I followed his instructions and it actually healed so well! 

I don't think I'll every follow any artists instruction to re-wrap anything unless it's with a breathable bandage.. Suffocating your tattoo/skin seems weird to me, even if it's only 4-8 hours at the time. After the initial over night bandage, followed by a good cleaning and letting it air dry before a thin layer of Aquaphor, the tattoo has always been dry and doesn't produce any more plasma. I did put a 2nd bandage on my chest (was recommended by the artist due to real cold weather and also doing a bit of driving), but it didn't even have a trace of plasma on it. I've also never had any artist actually use clingwrap on my stuff, it's all bandages.

Is there any science behind re-wrapping your tattoo?

I'm guessing it's so the tattoo artist can cover their own ass in case of infection? At least that way they can say: 'Well our aftercare instructions require you to keep the tattoo wrapped/protected', in case a customer comes back complaining of infection. If you've washed and cleaned the tattoo properly each time, and always re-wrap with fresh cling film, of course you're less likely to develop an infection and allow bacteria in.

12 hours ago, lape said:

I don't think I'll every follow any artists instruction to re-wrap anything unless it's with a breathable bandage.. Suffocating your tattoo/skin seems weird to me, even if it's only 4-8 hours at the time. After the initial over night bandage, followed by a good cleaning and letting it air dry before a thin layer of Aquaphor, the tattoo has always been dry and doesn't produce any more plasma. I did put a 2nd bandage on my chest (was recommended by the artist due to real cold weather and also doing a bit of driving), but it didn't even have a trace of plasma on it. I've also never had any artist actually use clingwrap on my stuff, it's all bandages.

Is there any science behind re-wrapping your tattoo?

When I was recommended to try it, the explanation was that by covering it with the plastic wrap you are keeping the plasma in which promotes a faster heal and reduces the chance of developing thick scabs.  It's the same principle as the -derm products, though without the breathability of them.  I will admit to being skeptical of the method, especially as I first tried it during a nine hour drive home the day after a session that hit some tender spots like my ditch and elbow: the swelling and pooling of fluid looked awful, but I've had great success healing with rewrapping.  I also like it because it reduces the friction between the healing tattoo and my work boots on lower leg tattoos, and it helps keep a fresh tattoo clean on other spots of my body, which is important because I work a dirty job where my tattoos can get exposed to all kinds of dust, dirt, and chemicals.

Personally, I won't touch Aquaphor anymore after having had a couple of really shitty heals using it, but we all find the healing methods that work for ourselves.

I used to be a firm proponent of the "let it breathe" philosophy, but I've found healing to be a lot smoother (literally and metaphorically, hardly any scabs!) by re-wrapping as needed.

I always re-wrap in plastic for the first night, for a couple reasons: it keeps my tattoo from scraping against my sheets/pajamas because I'm a restless sleeper, and it keeps my sheets clean. In the morning, a nice hot cleaning in the shower using the generic brand hand soap I buy. If it's a lot of skin opened (ie: a coloring session on a large tattoo) or in an area that tends to ooze a lot (lower legs because of gravity), then I may re-wrap during the day several times. As long as you're changing the wrapping often and washing between changes, it's fine...in my experience. Maybe once more the second night if the oozing is still pretty heavy. After that, I don't generally need anything besides maybe a couple more washes and MAYBE a slight dab of lotion after the scabbing is mostly done and my skin gets unbearably dry and itchy.

I find the more things touch your tattoos, the more problems you have. Re-wrapping keeps you and everything else from touching the tattoo during those crucial first couple of days, and it keeps my sheets and clothes clean. Everyone else's results may vary. 

On 01/06/2016 at 11:23 PM, Synesthesia said:

I used to be a firm proponent of the "let it breathe" philosophy, but I've found healing to be a lot smoother (literally and metaphorically, hardly any scabs!) by re-wrapping as needed.

I always re-wrap in plastic for the first night, for a couple reasons: it keeps my tattoo from scraping against my sheets/pajamas because I'm a restless sleeper, and it keeps my sheets clean. In the morning, a nice hot cleaning in the shower using the generic brand hand soap I buy. If it's a lot of skin opened (ie: a coloring session on a large tattoo) or in an area that tends to ooze a lot (lower legs because of gravity), then I may re-wrap during the day several times. As long as you're changing the wrapping often and washing between changes, it's fine...in my experience. Maybe once more the second night if the oozing is still pretty heavy. After that, I don't generally need anything besides maybe a couple more washes and MAYBE a slight dab of lotion after the scabbing is mostly done and my skin gets unbearably dry and itchy.

I find the more things touch your tattoos, the more problems you have. Re-wrapping keeps you and everything else from touching the tattoo during those crucial first couple of days, and it keeps my sheets and clothes clean. Everyone else's results may vary.

So how many times would you re-wrap it all in all? 

22 hours ago, PrivateAle said:

So how many times would you re-wrap it all in all? 

Depends. Most of the time for the smaller ones I get, just once the first night is enough. Every few hours, in a worst case scenario of a big tattoo in a spot that's oozing frequently. If you're going to re-wrap during the day, you need to be changing your wraps often and washing in between.

• 3 years later...