Pre tattoo I try to get a good nights sleep. Post tattoo I get a cold (used to be beer but people on this site changed my mind, it just sounded soo good (and it was)) cider, some greasy food (must have melted cheese in it) and a two hour nap to get rid of the slight fever I always get.

A couple sessions into my back, I found the wonders of brownies as tattoo food. Since then, I have been making brownies and giving the rest to my tattoo artist. Until this summer, when I realized that I had started to associate the taste of delicious fudge brownies with tattoo pain. O.O Turns out my tattoo artist was getting tired of brownies too!

So I branched out. I've made chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, and tonight I am making cut out Christmas sugar cookies. I never intended for this to become a ritual, but every Thursday before my Friday session has become Baking Time! Bizarrely, it's kind of calming.

it might be a different type of brownie you seek...

@Mick Weder I'm not that advanced yet but I'm sure I'll get there. For now I just shiver in a corner, clinging to the bottle.

i always get some post shakes - tatt flu i call - i sleep on the couch cause i'm a lousy bedmate when i feel shitty - i like to hit up the peanut butter, some oj (w pulp) - maybe a brew or the cider and chill watching some tv

@marley mission and @purplelace - nah, just a plain 'ol brownie with the Hershey's packet of fudge goo, and slightly undercooked. I don't think I'd do well with the special ones when I'm tired before we start. But YMMV!

- - - Updated - - -

@marley mission and @Rawok - I used to do some serious shaking until I started wearing warmer clothes during sessions and staying hydrated. If you're sitting there for hours with an open wound and your artist is wiping and wiping, you are losing water. Drinking something with electrolytes isn't a bad idea either, like Gatorade or Nuun or the like. And eating snacks high in sugar and fat. And keep drinking water for hours afterwards through the night, like you are nursing a hangover, because that's kind of what it is with the dehydration. And of course, the cider. Always the cider. (I just checked, we have 4 different kinds in the house right now.)

It really makes a difference for me, and the "tattoo flu" is much reduced. Again, YMMV but worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh on the brownies department. I've been branching into different baked goods to eat during each session and for my tattoo artist, and I got a jump on this evening's sessions dessert food last weekend. Christmas sugar cookies! So I prepared a plate for my tattoo artist as always, then made some for everyone for the holidays.

But since I did it all last weekend...I forgot to bag up some for MYSELF for tonight!!!

Now I have to go BUY some tattoo food for myself. LOL ::shaking my head::

Nobody prays?

Can't say I have a ritual (this is only my 3rd), don't want the preamble to be like my first - I was rear-ended on the way! I plan to just eat an early lunch of fast food on the way (noon appointment). I guess Sonic would be my common thing, that's where I've eaten before the previous two, and there is one in front of my artist's shop for this one, too! Probably top off lunch with a shake. No drugs have been needed before, hope none this time but I'll take ibuprofen if there is swelling.

My biggest concern is that my favorite sports team (UK) is playing their arch-rival (UL) at the same time as my appointment. Wonder if Kris has a TV in the shop? Otherwise, maybe the ESPN app if they have wifi.

The important thing for me is to have a set routine that puts my head in the right place and surely not derail the appointment before I get there.

I posted earlier about a possible brush with food poisoning on tattoo day. That would be a show stopper. I'll also drive very carefully and I'm amazed at the people that will cut me off on the way, like some evil ant-ink force field.

Can't believe how much sugar and fat some people gulp down before/during/after sessions, not only from here but often what I see when visiting studios too. That ain't good for you, no matter if you're getting tattooed or not. I eat natural nuts and seeds and a banana during session if it's long enough to snack. I drink water or perhaps a 100% fruit juice. Often a light meal after the session, and a lot of water, no alcohol.

Can't believe how much sugar and fat some people gulp down before/during/after sessions, not only from here but often what I see when visiting studios too. That ain't good for you, no matter if you're getting tattooed or not. I eat natural nuts and seeds and a banana during session if it's long enough to snack. I drink water or perhaps a 100% fruit juice. Often a light meal after the session, and a lot of water, no alcohol.

I try to eat fairly healthy in general, probably not as healthy as you but I do think about it. However, tattoos are an exciting event that don't come around very often and I like to celebrate them. Like a lot of people- celebration means comfort food and alcohol.

My regular tattoo shop has a Sailor Jerry flash event every January and this will be my wife and I's third year having a post party. We're thinking chicken wings, homemade white american cheese dip, and plenty of beer. I'll eat healthy the next day and heal up nice. I promise!

• 2 months later...

in 3 weeks I have my first 8 hour sitting for my back. I am driving 8 hours the day before and the day after, staying in a hotel.

I plan a big breakfast (Waffle House!) that morning and my normal routine is granola all day snacking with lots of water.

Any advice on what I should be doing in the 3 weeks leading up? I have started an extensive stretching routine for my back to get the kinks out but what else?

thanks!

Before I go in I cook my self a nice chicken breast smoother in mushroom with a light coat of home made Asian sesame dressing, followed with a small green salad and a yougurt for desert. During the session, I go in prepped with a small hand held cooler with ice and home made OJ and several bottles of water, I also bring snacks like veggie chips and dry fruits.. All made by my wife :)

Post session I eat a grilled chicken salad followed with a granola bar and OJ (for my sugar issues... Fuck u diabetes!!!)

I than do a couple of chores and make sure my sugar stays where it needs too. Than do the husband/dad part (helps me relax before bed...) And than is sleep time. :)

Any advice on what I should be doing in the 3 weeks leading up? I have started an extensive stretching routine for my back to get the kinks out but what else?

thanks!

Do whatever you do when you are trying very hard not to get sick. Like Airborne, vitamins, lots of water, eating the right stuff. I start that maybe 3-4 days before long sessions because I also have a drive before and after, and my sessions end very early in the morning. So you want to be as healthy as possible 'cause might very well feel trashed after so keep up that stuff for a couple days after your session, too. Some people get sick (aka "tattoo flu") after long sessions because you get beat up. Once I was exposed to a bug the day I had a really tough session and I was sick for a couple weeks after that.

I sat for 7 hours twice before on my half sleeve but I think the back is a whole different ball of wax from what I hear

It is. The back has so many different spots where it just surprises you with the different type of feeling's you get from one spot to the other... Is a fucking roller coaster... nonetheless it is tolerable... :)