I eat a good meal a couple of hours before the session. I usually try to keep it healthy. Lean meat and lots of vegetables. Afterwards I often pick up a large fruit smoothie. The last couple of sessions have ended with a meal and a Tom Collins while putting my feet up. So no hard and fast rules. I just try to be well rested, well-fed, and I'm good to go!

Medicine and a meal before, a 6 pack that I split with the guy during, and afterwards a monster rehab green tea and another meal because it's been a few hours and getting tattooed works up an appetite! Also a hot shower and a few more beers later on that evening are pretty much guaranteed haha.

I see a ton of people eating before being tattooed, maybe I'm the oddball... I cannot eat before getting tattooed, I get sick. Not sure if it's the nerves thinking about being tattooed (although I don't hate being tattooed). Not sure why the reason really. After eating is a must, I like to go to a Pizza joint around the corner from the shop it's pretty epic. Then the 3 hr drive back home.

If it's more than a little guy I always have a large-ish sandwich to hold me over throughout and usually accompany that with a fairly cheap beer to help take the edge off. I've had a lot of people with 1 or 2 tattoos inform me that the pain is part of the experience, but I disagree. It sucks getting tattooed sometimes.

Afterwards I always like to eat something greasy and high in carbohydrates when I can. Saint Francis Fountain in San Francisco has this great monstrosity, The Devil Burger - shreds of fried Seitan with vegan mayo on a dense bun. It really hit the spot.

Eating before and after are always a big part.

If it's more than a little guy I always have a large-ish sandwich to hold me over throughout and usually accompany that with a fairly cheap beer to help take the edge off. I've had a lot of people with 1 or 2 tattoos inform me that the pain is part of the experience' date=' but I disagree. It sucks getting tattooed sometimes.

Afterwards I always like to eat something greasy and high in carbohydrates when I can. Saint Francis Fountain in San Francisco has this great monstrosity, The Devil Burger - shreds of fried Seitan with vegan mayo on a dense bun. It really hit the spot.

Eating before and after are always a big part.[/quote']

Even the suck ass pain is part of it..

I saw something once that said 'its good that tattoos hurt, if not every pussy would have them'

My artist says that's not true, lots of pussies have tattoo but only tough ppl have good tattoos, especially when/where the pain is rough.

I have to say I agree 100%

Even the suck ass pain is part of it..

I saw something once that said 'its good that tattoos hurt, if not every pussy would have them'

My artist says that's not true, lots of pussies have tattoo but only tough ppl have good tattoos, especially when/where the pain is rough.

I have to say I agree 100%

I mean, I have the back of both knees done. Even with a beer to take the edge off, that was still no picnic. I feel like after 8 toes, both feet, most of both legs, the front of my torso, the entirety of both arms, one hand, all knuckles, and smatterings on various places around my neck, I've gotten the gist of the "pain" part of it. While I do have a handful of less-than-stellar tattoos, I'd say the majority of mine are "good" at the very least.

Now, my last roommate would swallow a few Vicodin, drink some concoction of "anti-energy drinks" he'd make and go to sleep until they were done. Most of the folks at Blackheart and Temple have worked on him, so I'd say he has some decent work as well.

But, who knows? Carry on.

I mean' date=' I have the back of both knees done. Even with a beer to take the edge off, that was still no picnic. I feel like after 8 toes, both feet, most of both legs, the front of my torso, the entirety of both arms, one hand, all knuckles, and smatterings on various places around my neck, I've gotten the gist of the "pain" part of it. While I do have a handful of less-than-stellar tattoos, I'd say the majority of mine are "good" at the very least.

Now, my last roommate would swallow a few Vicodin, drink some concoction of "anti-energy drinks" he'd make and go to sleep until they were done. Most of the folks at Blackheart and Temple have worked on him, so I'd say he has some decent work as well.

But, who knows? Carry on.[/quote']

I see your point!

There's noooo way I'd get ripped and pass out and let someone tattoo me ;) I like to watch

Yeah' date=' it's strange - I definitely notice that it hurts significantly less when I can watch it happening. Why is that?[/quote']

Maybe it's mind over matter? By watching you're engaged in the process or learning or in amazement in some cases.. My wife a friends say I'm weird because in the few pictures of me being tattooed I'm always grinning and watching.

Before the appointment, I try to take a big dump at home so I won't have to get up during the session. I don't eat much before either. A couple of years back, I came within a RCH of getting a case of the shits from something I ate off the coffee truck at work on tattoo day. So I play it safe and minimize any risks that could derail my appointment.

Right before the appointment I'll shower and put on comfy clothes before I leave the house. Once I'm there, I'll go next door to the Chinese food place and buy drinks and snacks for anyone at the shop.

In the chair, I'll pop open a Pepsi and down a couple of Percocets to ward off evil spirits. On the way home, I stop at 7-11 for a few 1/2 quarts of beer for the ride home. Once home, of course everyone wants to see what I got, so I give 'em a peek. I leave it wrapped, put an old beach towel across the bed and hit the hay.

Rob

See I'm like Brett Hull the Hall of Fame hockey player, I've gotta have sex before every game or in this case tattoo session. Really calms me and settles the mind!

Then a fat ass ham and Swiss samich with a Dew before.

Stop at McDs for a large coke while I'm getting tattooed......and I deuce at the shop!

Everyone kind of expects it and he won't start unless I do. And lastly a good hardy stretch before jumping in the chair!

I tone down my chili intake (which is usually pretty high), so my stomach won't cause any problems. I eat a big meal of protein and vegetables which keeps my bloodsugar pretty consistent and i find that helps a lot. I didn't do that yesterday, and i felt the difference!

When i get home i always smoke a little, and watch documentaries untill i fall a sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread.

I'm not really a ritual guy but I do have some preferences. Ideally I would get a good nights sleep and have time to get to the gym for a workout a few hours before the appointment. After this I like to eat a good meal- not to big but enough to tide me over. I also like to take a shower right before I leave home if possible. Then it's all about relaxation and distress tolerance skills. Like others have mentioned- focused breathing during the tattoo is important. It works at the dentist too.

Afterwards I will be pretty pumped up so I like to party. We have had friends over a few times on tattoo day and that works well (especially when my wife and I both get tattoos on the same day- which is very fun). Beer will be involved. It's a day I have been looking forward to so I like to make it fun all around.

My wife and I have appointments at Great Lakes Tattoo in Chicago next week while on vacation so it will be difficult to adhere to a specific routine. We plan to be pretty chill the night before but I'm guessing we will have a lot of fun afterwards. Obviously I am looking forward to it.

My 'ritual' isn't as interesting as some of you. heh

I usually just eat something, then smoke a pretty decent joint and head on over to the shop.

I bring a bottle of water. Then after its all over I just smoke another one and head off to drink and show off my new piece to my buddies.

No alcohol. I usually eat a light protein/carbs meal like sushi a few hours before. Sometimes I like to get a massage before like I am tomorrow. I don't load up on fluid because I hate to have to use the facilities in the middle of the tattoo... Had it happen. The morning before I am meticulous with my hygiene. I make sure I am freshly showered, my breath is good, deodorant, clean clothes, etc. I always arrive 15 minutes early. I bring the shop donuts. That way I have a snack if I crash. I also bring a full sugar soda.

Afterwards, I wash it gently with Dial or feminine wash and treat with a special salve my shop makes. Once it heals, I use a gentle moisturizer to maintain it. Generally speaking, my tattoos have healed well.

Before the appointment, I try to take a big dump at home so I won't have to get up during the session. I don't eat much before either. A couple of years back, I came within a RCH of getting a case of the shits from something I ate off the coffee truck at work on tattoo day. So I play it safe and minimize any risks that could derail my appointment.

^^ This...worse feeling ever!

My ritual is serious now, as I have worked out the "kinks" that can ruin my day (well more than getting my knee drilled with a needle for a few hours haha).

Shit, shower, shave, as close to the time before me leaving as possible. Fill my two nalgene 1L bottles with ice and water, begin hydration. Start the long drive into NYC, and park in the same parking deck (no need for street parking tickets, assholes want $150 a pop). Walk to burger joint, get massive burger and fries. Go to favorite bar. At bar immediately bartender(s) ask me what I am getting worked on today. Drink 2-3 tasty beers. Walk to shop, smoke a cig on the way. Use bathroom before because nobody likes to stop mid-tattoo. Afterwards, get in car light up a premium cigar (currently working on a case of Rocky Patel Vintage 1992s). After I get home shower forever then get a nice scotch and look at new tattoo.

Literally nothing ever changes, and it works out perfect. Also not drinking any alcohol the day prior makes a massive difference!