I normally get off at totenham court road tube station so it's only a few minutes walk, and if I'm actually ever early I normally sit in soho square to relax and have a drink. Are there any good pubs around Frith Street for a drink? I think after my first session on my back piece I'll need one.

There's quite a few good pubs. The Cambridge is pretty good and has a good range of draft & bottled beers. Its about a 5 minute walk. There's (Normans) Coach and Horses in Greek Steet or the Three Greyhounds (never been in there). Theres a Nicholsons pub in Frith Street the beers ok but the bogs are pretty disgusting.

I avoid drugs and pills before getting tattoed. Most of the times i try to get a good night sleep and eat something light and water, but most of the times that´s not how it goes. During the session i hardly talk, and focus on the pain, feelin' it and rememberin´ to breathe (wich was really hard on my last one on the ribs). My post ritual is to get on the bus, or subway (more than one time i found myself drippin´blood, and had people stare strangly...) and usually walk an hour after that to get home, have a beer and sleep.

the morning of the tattoo, i'll go to the market and buy a nice steak (preferably a porterhouse) and some good beer, a chocolate or energy bar and mints, and a bottle of water or gatorade.

dry marinade the steak and throw it in the fridge, have a balanced lunch a hour or two before the appointment, and roll up a couple of J's. then i'll drive to the tattoo shop and have this overwhelming weird restless/excitement/nervous feeling the whole ride there.

mints, chocolate, and gatorade during.

afterwards, go home and throw the steak on the charcoal grill and have a ice cold beer. followed by a J or two. take it easy the rest of the day and wash off the tattoo before i go to sleep.

Pre: Bitch about getting tattooed.

Drugs: 1 muscle relaxer. 1 non-drowsy antihistamine.

I've found that I tense up heavily after 3+ hours of getting tattooed, so the muscle relaxer keeps me from converting all of that tension into a sore body after the tattoo. Sore body + sore tattoo and no one wins. The antihistamine keeps the surface of the skin from swelling up so much and makes it a little more bearable.

Food: Totally changed my ritual since reading my friend David's take on tattoo nutrition.

hey shawn what thread did you post your friend davids piece on tattoo nutrition in. i cant remember! can you post it again please? i read it through once and i would love to read it again.

i hope shawn does not mind me replying to a post addressed to him, but i just read the article yesterday and saved the link: Nibble and Sip: tattoo nutrition and my experiences with long distance cycling

HOW.FUCKING.DARE.YOU.

That was addressed to ME Dave. ME. Not YOU.

THIS MEANS WAR!

Wait. Nah. It's cool. Hah.

I'm hoping to start my thigh soon, big some'bitch. (the tattoo, not the thigh. My thigh is pleasantly shaped) And I plan to really keep the nutrition aspect in mind.

my first tattoo was only 20 min so i went back to work after it and i was fine. then the next time i got tattooed I tried to stay home because i thought that was best and that didnt go over so well. i tried taking a nap and i was feeling too restless. the last time i got tattooed i had that same restless feeling and i ended up calling a friend we went out to see a show at a bar had a couple beers, smoked a couple J's and then i went home and slept like a baby! i woke up feeling great, lol, i think i found my routine! though that tattoo was only 1.5 hours. the next one i have planned is 4.5 -5 hours and we will see how im feeling after my first long session! lol

HOW.FUCKING.DARE.YOU.

That was addressed to ME Dave. ME. Not YOU.

THIS MEANS WAR!

Wait. Nah. It's cool. Hah.

I'm hoping to start my thigh soon, big some'bitch. (the tattoo, not the thigh. My thigh is pleasantly shaped) And I plan to really keep the nutrition aspect in mind.

Dave- thanks for reposting what i was looking for!

shawn-you totally fooled me!! i thought you were really mad until i got to the second half of the message! ahahahaha (i'm really gullable!) the next big session i have planned is for my thigh as well. i've been working out like super women trying to get a really nice shape to the legs so i can flaunt it when i get tattooed! hahaha

Pre: Make it a point to drink extra water for the few days prior to getting a tattoo. Day of tattoo make sure I eat something sugary morning of, go to sleep, wake up, eat a bento 2 hours before. (seems funny reading but, 9 AM go to sleep 4 PM wake up, if that helps)

Post: Don't really have any rituals. Try to go home, take a shower 2 hours after... but after that nothing. Worst post tattoo night I had was spending all night waiting for a friend in the ER after having my knee shaded.

hmmm...depending on the tattoo and how big it is, for my laregscale pieces like my sleeve and my torso I had a good night's rest before the appointment, and a lot of fluids (water, juice) before the tattoo apt. No alcohol, no pills, and completely sober. Afterwards I try to apply a super hot rag to the spot I get tattooed and drink a lot of water. Nothing crazy, haha.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I sit in a train for 5-7 hours before, eat something and go back to sitting in the train for 5-7 hours after the tattoo and go to shower when I get home and sleep.

I also pray Satan to give me strenght and immunity for pain.

Try driving through DC traffic/beach traffic (~5hrs) both fore and aft and in between, sitting for 8-10 hrs! I wouldnt call that a 'ritual', just something Ive done twice!

Thankfully, its been long enough since my last session that i forgot about how painful it was...and actually booked a rib panel. Shorter, easier drive this time at 1.5 hrs.

• 1 year later...

I'm getting tattooed this week (Thursday!) and part of my tattoo 'process' is using one of those horseshoe shaped travel pillows to make myself more comfortable than the standard roll of paper towels they give you. Specially if you're getting worked on laying on your belly. Couldn't find my pillow, freaked out and just had to run to Marshalls to pick up a new one!

Since I've been traveling down to London to getting my back done, I have got into an habit of trying different burger joints before my session, and having a good few beers after.

ftr Honest Burger in Soho is the best so far, others worth a look are Shake Shack, Byron Burger and 5 guys

I don't prepare too much for small tattoos, other than making sure I've eaten. Big ones, I'll make sure that I don't drink the day prior, go to bed early, drink tons of water, eat a big breakfast, and bring snacks to the appointment. I also don't get tattooed on days that I have anything else I have to do. Go home, eat, water, sleep.

I don't prepare too much for small tattoos, other than making sure I've eaten. Big ones, I'll make sure that I don't drink the day prior, go to bed early, drink tons of water, eat a big breakfast, and bring snacks to the appointment. I also don't get tattooed on days that I have anything else I have to do. Go home, eat, water, sleep.

Ive been using David Bruehl's 'nibble and sip' during the tattoo with great success.

Nibble and Sip Revisited: Tattoo Nutrition | Occult Vibrations

my "long" session kit is I bring skittles ,M&M's,a fresh banana,beef jerky,& several bottles of water.I like to keep my sugars & electrolytes way up during the work.

I eat a good meal before and take a 800mg ibuprofen or two.

I don't drink alcohol for a couple days prior to the work,lots of water,and I never drink alcohol right before or during.

I don't really have a ritual because it's not really a regular thing for me yet but I made sure I was well hydrated and ate a lot of protein for 48 hours prior. I also avoided any different cosmetics, creams, washing powders and shampoo/conditioner prior because im prone to allergic reactions to these products. Didn't want to add that on top of a possible reaction to the ink

post ink once again I pumped up the fluids to avoid the area dehydrating even more than it could

No matter what, Starburst and Gatorade are my usual refreshments during a tattoo... replaced the Gatorade with Lucozade or a Coke when I was overseas. I usually just eat something quick before smaller tattoos, provided I have the time. For long sittings, though, I definitely go for a good sized lunch... steak or seafood are a high priority in those scenarios.