Mister Cartoon

What does everyone here think of his work? Style-wise his imagery is my favourite out of most of the fineline black and grey artists I am familiar with. But how does this single needle stuff hold up? anybody had any experience of it, cos some of his work does look very light grey and I actually prefer the pieces where he uses more outlines and proper black.

Actual, real single-needle stuff can hold up, but it usually does get pretty indistinct over time. My personal favorite for fine-line stuff is three-needle. Gives a nice, clean, fine line, but holds up really well. I have a piece done three-needle in '84 that still looks good today.

Is cartoon single needle or three needle?, I don't really know the difference to be honest. I know there is quite alot of tattooers who tattoo the single needle style using traditional values which I'm guessing would hold up better, but ive not really seen any large scales pieces done this way with backgrounds etc

All we can do is speculate on his needle configurations. If you like his work, get a tattoo from him and ask as he gives it to you...

that would be fine, but the question was to help me decide on a style and it holding up and to help me distisguish, if I already chose him I would be indifferent about whatever his needle configurations may be - im not a tattooer

Just looked through his site-I never heard of him before, so...

I don't see anything on there that looks remotely like single-needle. Fine-line, yup. Nice work.

Pero, que Clique representar, Vato?

No offense meant to anyone anywhere, I used to represent, myself, but unless you're str8-up out Varrio, I can't see getting any of his work.

@Dan S- that fine line style is pretty big in England from what I can tell. My theory is it was Beckham that popularized it first with his fine line work. Mr. Cartoon tattooed over there recently:

IMG_4400.JPG

IDK, I see a lot of Russian "Mafya" tattoo motifs on this side of the world, but I think it's because none of those people will ever set foot in Eastern Europe. Guy's probably good to go if he stays out of "harm's way"

@Dan S- that fine line style is pretty big in England from what I can tell. My theory is it was Beckham that popularized it first with his fine line work. Mr. Cartoon tattooed over there recently:

IDK, I see a lot of Russian "Mafya" tattoo motifs on this side of the world, but I think it's because none of those people will ever set foot in Eastern Europe. Guy's probably good to go if he stays out of "harm's way"

I hear you, Brother...I see a lot of wannabe stuff around here too, and yeah, as long as they stay away from the real-deal, they're good to go, but I tell ya, I've seen it go south a few times, guy walks into a place all decked out in his homeboy finest, and someone tells him to represent...um, er, uh, well, I just like think the tattoos are kool! Let's dance.

Fine-line has been big, at least around places I've been, Chicago, el-Lay, Pacoima, like that, for decades, but looking at Mr. Cartoons portfolio, I saw five different sets advertised, and hey, solo un Gabacho viejo!

his tattoos are nice but I've heard that he costs a fucking lot

I mean, I've heard stories of professional athletes and musicians flying him out to wherever they're at just to get tattooed.

But if you have the cash and like his stuff I'd say go for it

I was just talking about him with a guy from NYC who said he worked at his studio painting before..He said when you get tattooed by him it's an all day affair.I like some of his work,but i think there's better tattooers in that style who aren't as well known as him because of the celebrity clientele he tattoos.Here's a few b&g artists to check out in LA.

Chuey Quintanar

JAMES SPENCER BRIGGS

Jun Cha

Ben@ Power Tattoo Company

Chente@ UTGink

Jason Stores

I was just talking about him with a guy from NYC who said he worked at his studio painting before..He said when you get tattooed by him it's an all day affair.I like some of his work,but i think there's better tattooers in that style who aren't as well known as him because of the celebrity clientele he tattoos.Here's a few b&g artists to check out in LA.

Chuey Quintanar

JAMES SPENCER BRIGGS

Jun Cha

Chente@ UTGink

Jason Stores

Chuey Quintanar

JAMES SPENCER BRIGGS

Jun Cha

Chente@ UTGink

Jason Stores

Upvote for Chuey, Grillo, or Briggs. I wonder if Briggs travels

Upvote for Chuey, Grillo, or Briggs. I wonder if Briggs travels

last I heard briggs was in lexington kentucky, Ive had a good conversation with him and he said anytime i want just let him know, well I did a day or two later basically gave him open availability and havnt heard back for months now. I would love to hear someone have better luck than me.

Just looked through his site-I never heard of him before, so...

I don't see anything on there that looks remotely like single-needle. Fine-line, yup. Nice work.

Pero, que Clique representar, Vato?

No offense meant to anyone anywhere, I used to represent, myself, but unless you're str8-up out Varrio, I can't see getting any of his work.

It's a stomach piece I'm looking to get, a cityscape/skyline with and angel looking over it in the centre and all the rays/clouds light in the background so I didn't think that would look gang related at all? just love how he tattoos buildings and clouds

It's a stomach piece I'm looking to get, a cityscape/skyline with and angel looking over it in the centre and all the rays/clouds light in the background so I didn't think that would look gang related at all? just love how he tattoos buildings and clouds

My man, if you like his stuff that much, and you got the ching, go for it. I have heard that he is pricier than most because of his clientele, and if I went to his studio, I think I'd go strapped, but hey-I'm paranoid, it's how I got so old!

Ultimately, you have to wear the work, so if you find someone you want to have do it, fuck all else, get it!

My man, if you like his stuff that much, and you got the ching, go for it. I have heard that he is pricier than most because of his clientele, and if I went to his studio, I think I'd go strapped, but hey-I'm paranoid, it's how I got so old!

Ultimately, you have to wear the work, so if you find someone you want to have do it, fuck all else, get it!

Strapped haha, are you sure you aren't exaggerating just a little? he is a professional after all! I do totally agree though, just wanted some opinions off people because his work sometimes looks a little light to me I just love the designs, much prefer the amount of black Tim Hendricks uses to be honest

Strapped haha, are you sure you aren't exaggerating just a little? he is a professional after all! I do totally agree though, just wanted some opinions off people because his work sometimes looks a little light to me I just love the designs, much prefer the amount of black Tim Hendricks uses to be honest

No exaggeration. If someone has clients like the Southside 50's hangin' in their studio, things can always get exciting. But then again, I go strapped bout everywhere!

No exaggeration. If someone has clients like the Southside 50's hangin' in their studio, things can always get exciting. But then again, I go strapped bout everywhere!

I believe that's a tattoo he did on rapper 50 Cent...