This one comes up in all heavily tattooed people's conversation about most painful tattoo. So much so, that I'm set on having my back piece end at my waistband. I might look like I have flesh colored briefs on when it's all said and done, but I'm okay with that.

This one comes up in all heavily tattooed people's conversation about most painful tattoo. So much so, that I'm set on having my back piece end at my waistband. I might look like I have flesh colored briefs on when it's all said and done, but I'm okay with that.

I still will say my head was worse!

ha ha ha.....heads or tails!

I would say don't let the thought of the pain stop you from getting the tattoo how you want it. Overall the spots that suck the most are small enough that your not sitting there day after day in agony. It's to late now but if I could do it over again, I'd get my back piece down to mid-thigh or the back of my knees.

Agreed on CaptCanada's point that pain shouldn't be a deciding factor in placement or extent of tattooing. OK, sure- it's a painful and it's a big committment to get any large-scale work, but ultimately I don't think anyone has died on the table yet (or at least, not as a direct result of being in pain from tattooing).

When I read the backpiece thread before I got mine I went through a period of second-guessing myself and imagining that maybe I would just get some easier spots done first... I'm glad in hindsight that I manned up and just got on with it. When all's said and done the end product is all that matters.

Agreed on CaptCanada's point that pain shouldn't be a deciding factor in placement or extent of tattooing. OK, sure- it's a painful and it's a big committment to get any large-scale work, but ultimately I don't think anyone has died on the table yet (or at least, not as a direct result of being in pain from tattooing).

When I read the backpiece thread before I got mine I went through a period of second-guessing myself and imagining that maybe I would just get some easier spots done first... I'm glad in hindsight that I manned up and just got on with it. When all's said and done the end product is all that matters.

The pain of getting tattooed is temporary, the pain of a horribly placed tattoo is permanent.

Although for anyone with tattooed asses, pain aside, how is the healing process? In my experience each part of the body heals differently. With a tattoo your ass, is sitting on it for exdended periods of time horrible, (I'm thinking clothing can get fused with the tattoo.) Just worried a bit about the constant pressure on it.

I didn't have any problem at all healing my ass. Granted, I only have the lines done on it, but as far as that went, it healed right in line with the rest of my back. I expected it to be awful, but I drove 4 hours home immediately after my session, and had no problems at all doing so.

God, I'm fucking dreading getting all this stuff done - but if my plan to get the big bits out of the way before kids and stuff get in the way, then I suppose it's not far off. EUGH - I fucking hate getting tattooed, particularly as I have all the 'difficult' stuff to do.

I really want to get Valerie to do my back, so I suppose it's at least some way off...

God, I'm fucking dreading getting all this stuff done - but if my plan to get the big bits out of the way before kids and stuff get in the way, then I suppose it's not far off. EUGH - I fucking hate getting tattooed, particularly as I have all the 'difficult' stuff to do.

I really want to get Valerie to do my back, so I suppose it's at least some way off...

suck it up buttercup

Jill Bonny

Oh yeah! Niiiice! What are you getting? My Oda Nobunaga backpiece is by Jill as well. She's been shading background for a while now, packing in that black. I remember the outlining being unpleaseant as she moved from the small of my back down lower during 1 session, but when she outlined the actual cheek in a subsequent session I don't remember it being that bad. I mean it hurt, but not as bad as I thought it would. Shading didn't really bother me at all. I hope my words don't come back to bite me on the ass in future sessions Though (head smack! Thwap!!!) ;-)

The pain of getting tattooed is temporary, the pain of a horribly placed tattoo is permanent.

Although for anyone with tattooed asses, pain aside, how is the healing process? In my experience each part of the body heals differently. With a tattoo your ass, is sitting on it for exdended periods of time horrible, (I'm thinking clothing can get fused with the tattoo.) Just worried a bit about the constant pressure on it.

I actually screwed up. After my session being tattooed on me bum, I went straight to a bar to hang out with friends all night instead of doing my typical post shower tattoo care bit. By the time I got home I didn't feel like a shower, actually left the shameful drunken trail of clothes from door to bed. Passed out, and the next morning forgot to be careful and didn't realize my boxers and butt became one. Needless to say I pulled out some of the ink and might need the side re-worked now. It really bummed me out. So don't do what I did and I think you'll be fine. You WILL be sitting lopsided for a couple days later though.

Oh yeah! Niiiice! What are you getting? My Oda Nobunaga backpiece is by Jill as well. She's been shading background for a while now, packing in that black. I remember the outlining being unpleaseant as she moved from the small of my back down lower during 1 session, but when she outlined the actual cheek in a subsequent session I don't remember it being that bad. I mean it hurt, but not as bad as I thought it would. Shading didn't really bother me at all. I hope my words don't come back to bite me on the ass in future sessions Though (head smack! Thwap!!!) ;-)

I have seen your backpiece in pics. It is looking great. I am going with Kumonryu. I have a rather large space to fill (I'm a very big guy) so the rest I left up to her. I think there may be lightning because she made the comment during our consult "How do you feel about lightning?" I just told her to go to town. I can't wait to see what she comes up with.

Parts of my squidpants run basically to that afore-mentioned crease. It was definitely the worst part of the back of the leg (I actually didn't mind the crease of the knee...the kneecap, however...).

I'm always of the "keep the best for last" mindset. Given a choice, I'd rather do the more painful spots first and be done with it.

• 1 month later...