A Customers PErspective of Some Pet Peeves

Dan S

I'm about the total opposite of PC, but here's what I started the thread with...

"...I hear fuck this, fuck that, fuck the next thing, I got cigarette smoke blown in my face, and ya know, the guy never even asked if I was interested in getting a tattoo."

As far as the homophobic/racist type stuff, I've never heard any, but I guess it takes all kinds. Hell, take your friend to CTC, they have a whole section of flash dedicated to the hardcore scene..."Prime Meat" and such-I doubt you'll hear any jokes!

I've walked in and right out of new shops where the vibe was bad or they didn't know how to treat a customer. I'm not the most PC person in the world, but I put on my company manners when I'm out whether it be Ace Hardware, Petco or in a tattoo shop.

Some shop owners are unaware of the first impression thing and wonder why business sucks.

Rob

I agree. Also' date=' if I could afford (or when I can) to make it to California, booking an appointment with Chris Conn would be at the top of the agenda.

To get back on the topic of pet peeves...for me, the only big one I've encountered from a customer's perspective is having to listen to stupid, offensive shit. I realize that a lot of people would consider me to be overly PC, which is fine (I disagree to a large extent with what most people consider to be "political correctness" and see it more as "not being an asshole", but whatever), but it definitely turns me off to hear racist or homophobic shit when I'm getting tattooed. On one trip to a pretty well-known shop, my buddy that I was staying with (who is gay) decided that he wanted a tattoo too and came with and got tattooed. He was super stoked on it and really liked the dude that we both got tattooed by, but during his tattoo a couple of the other tattooers hanging out made a few gay jokes (unrelated to my friend), and it was pretty awkward and uncomfortable for both of us for a minute. Consequently, I probably won't ever get tattooed by those dudes, despite them making rad tattoos. With a finite amount of skin and a Want list longer than I'll ever be able to get through, I want to enjoy my tattoo experience as much as possible, so I'm gonna go with the tattooer I don't worry about having to endure hearing go off on some "faggot" shit during my session.[/quote']

^sucks.

I'd love to get 1 from Chris Conn, too. Maybe someday...

I don't see any difference in whether I wanted a butterfly & stars or skull & snake...or anything in between--I would want the best work I could get.

As for pet peeves at a tattoo shop, I haven't really come across any. My experiences at Memoir have been the best. That place has a good vibe.

Biggest peeve would have to be being looked down upon.

It hasn't happened recently (since I'm more visibly tattooed now), but when jeans and a t-shirt covered all my tattoos, there were a few shops I went into where I was treated like an imbecile or a joke based on appearance alone. I can't stand being condescended to, and I sure as hell wont spend money for the pleasure.

It hasn't happened recently (since I'm more visibly tattooed now), but when jeans and a t-shirt covered all my tattoos, there were a few shops I went into where I was treated like an imbecile or a joke based on appearance alone. I can't stand being condescended to, and I sure as hell wont spend money for the pleasure.

Definitely hear that!

I travel a lot for bidness, and try to check out the local shops wherever I go. I usually just take a look at the portfolios that are on display, maybe watch some work being done, if I can do that without getting up in anyone's space. If anyone asks, I tell them I'm just sightseeing, and unless I'm in full long-sleeves and suitcoat mode, which is rare, I've got ink sticking out. Typically, when they see that, things are a bit freindlier, but I have gone into some places where a bad attitude seems to be a job requirement!

I was in downtown Seattle, I don't remember the name of the place, and a young-ish (to me) guy was standing in the doorway of a tattoo parlor waiting for customers and having a smoke. I stopped in, took a look around, and wasn't terribly impressed. The proprietor was Brazilian, quite hip, and since I was in a tee-shirt, proceeded to tell me how he could tattoo my right arm white, three sessions, and "cover-up all that mess" (about 30 hours of Miles Maniaci tying up older pieces by Dale Grande) and replace it with HIS work which would be far superior.

Couldn't believe it, but he was actually serious. Somehow, I resisted the temptaion.

You would think it would make more sense business-wise to pay extra attention to the tattoo newbies who walk into the shop with lots of empty skin (like myself) because if you provide them with a good experience they will keep coming back for more work.

You would think it would make more sense business-wise to pay extra attention to the tattoo newbies who walk into the shop with lots of empty skin (like myself) because if you provide them with a good experience they will keep coming back for more work.

I always thought along those lines as well. Lots of blank skin = lots of potential business.

I guess the thinking of the heavier tattooed people usually means they are very willing to get a tattoo, probably right away with little need to go over the "basics" (ie, after-care, 'how much will this cost', etc)

• 1 month later...

What are your views on Customer service?

Forexample, if a an artist left you sitting around for ages, or perhaps was unprepaired for your booking, I.E you arrive and they basically forgot you're coming.

Also would you be more tempted to wait it out if it was an amazing tattoo artist?

Forexample, if a an artist left you sitting around for ages, or perhaps was unprepaired for your booking, I.E you arrive and they basically forgot you're coming.

Also would you be more tempted to wait it out if it was an amazing tattoo artist?

Did they forget, or were they running behind schedule all week and just ran out of time. First impression is if you book an appointment three months in advance that should be plenty of time to prepare, but in reality most drawings get done a day or two ahead of time at most.

I've seen plenty of people wander into tattoo shops and they have no idea what they want and go into sticker shock when rates are discussed. Then they walk out, "maybe I'll stop in next week".. and they never come back again. So there are a lot of chain-yankers to deal with in the trade.

- - - Updated - - -

Did they forget, or were they running behind schedule all week and just ran out of time. First impression is if you book an appointment three months in advance that should be plenty of time to prepare, but in reality most drawings get done a day or two ahead of time at most.

True on the drawing thing. My last tattoo session, I had done the drawings myself so I just showed up with the artwork, slapped my ass in the chair and the ink started flowing. Other times, I made sure to let them know I'd be there a week ahead of my appt to go over the sketches.

Rob

I've been kinda forgot about but usually it's due to running behind schedule. Shit happens like any other job. As far as drawings being done, I noticed that sometimes it's 100% draw up in advance but usually not really that far in advance if at all. Mind you I have way more experience with just one artist and a few one-offs with others so mileage may vary but it also varies even with the same artist. You gotta look at it from their perspective.

Sometimes it makes sense to draw it up on your/with you (especially if you didn't have a solid consultation session). Hell sometimes better ideas come after a second look! Depending on where it is/size/what other tattoos you got you also got to take that into consideration. Any time I got tattoos next to other tattoos it always ended up being drawn right on my with markers so it would fit right.

Unless you sat around for hours without being attended to I wouldn't worry too much. I've had some appointments bumped due to stuff going late, but at the same time I've had my own sessions bump other people. Clients can show up late or whatever and screw up things. Unless it becomes habitual or excessive I really wouldn't mind it.

Just curious how long did you wait?

As a tattooer and shop owner I pay particular attention to how I am treated when I walk in to a tattoo shop----- I 'm older and i'm not particularly cool, hip looking, overly attractive, and I normally don't walk around in a tank top and shorts, with exposed tattoos. That being said, I shouldn't have to give another tattooist a resume to expect good customer service, as a customer or fellow tattooist.

If able, you should be kind and courteous to every one that walks through your door.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Also, if I could afford (or when I can) to make it to California, booking an appointment with Chris Conn would be at the top of the agenda.

To get back on the topic of pet peeves...for me, the only big one I've encountered from a customer's perspective is having to listen to stupid, offensive shit. I realize that a lot of people would consider me to be overly PC, which is fine (I disagree to a large extent with what most people consider to be "political correctness" and see it more as "not being an asshole", but whatever), but it definitely turns me off to hear racist or homophobic shit when I'm getting tattooed. On one trip to a pretty well-known shop, my buddy that I was staying with (who is gay) decided that he wanted a tattoo too and came with and got tattooed. He was super stoked on it and really liked the dude that we both got tattooed by, but during his tattoo a couple of the other tattooers hanging out made a few gay jokes (unrelated to my friend), and it was pretty awkward and uncomfortable for both of us for a minute. Consequently, I probably won't ever get tattooed by those dudes, despite them making rad tattoos. With a finite amount of skin and a Want list longer than I'll ever be able to get through, I want to enjoy my tattoo experience as much as possible, so I'm gonna go with the tattooer I don't worry about having to endure hearing go off on some "faggot" shit during my session.

-----------Unfortunately, or fortunately - I've found many tattooers are often without boundaries and are verbally expressive.Many that I know wouldn't willingly go out of their way to hurt anybody- but their choice in music and speech borders on insensitive---- Whether it's talking about specific sexual techniques, religion, politics, gender preference, stance on euthanasia, vegan vs carnivore etc. rarely have I encountered a "PC" shop.

Our shop has a sign on the door stating "graphic images and colorful language spoken here"just in case.

We share a building with a religious - charitable organization and are right next door to a Baptist Church. One of my husband's ( the reason we have the sign) customer's was going to make a sign for my husband- " if you don't like the language here, go next door!" But i'm definitely not making excuses or saying you should subject yourself or friends to an uncomfortable atmosphere.

I've seen plenty of people wander into tattoo shops and they have no idea what they want and go into sticker shock when rates are discussed. Then they walk out, "maybe I'll stop in next week".. and they never come back again. So there are a lot of chain-yankers to deal with in the trade.

- - - Updated - - -

Rob

People who really want to get tattooed act differently when they come in. I can't explain it, but usually can tell within 30 seconds of talking to a person. I greet everyone, listen to what they say and try not to be dismissive regardless of how it's going, but sometimes I save my long winded explanations of things when I can tell things are going nowhere.

As far as the drawing, the only time I think we run behind schedule with drawings is when there are a bunch of random walk ins the day or days before the appointment and even then most of the guys are good about coming in early or drawing at home to minimize the delay.

I've never understood the annoyance with colorful shop chatter or an artist running a little late. I mean it's a tattoo shop, not some retail or do it your way burger joint. Non-PC conversations are part of the package deal. And as for delays, it's not like if you have a 4 hour session and they start an hour late, they still charge for 4. They charge you for what they worked. Am I wrong? In the mean time, while waiting I get to flip through all the artists books which is never tiring. Now, I haven't been tattooed for too long a time, but I think people too often think shops are retail establishments to do their bidding. All things within reason, I figure the shops are the way they are because they want it that way. Otherwise they'd be working 9-5 office jobs like others. Let it be. And be jealous that they can.

I've been kinda forgot about but usually it's due to running behind schedule. Shit happens like any other job. As far as drawings being done, I noticed that sometimes it's 100% draw up in advance but usually not really that far in advance if at all. Mind you I have way more experience with just one artist and a few one-offs with others so mileage may vary but it also varies even with the same artist. You gotta look at it from their perspective.

Sometimes it makes sense to draw it up on your/with you (especially if you didn't have a solid consultation session). Hell sometimes better ideas come after a second look! Depending on where it is/size/what other tattoos you got you also got to take that into consideration. Any time I got tattoos next to other tattoos it always ended up being drawn right on my with markers so it would fit right.

Unless you sat around for hours without being attended to I wouldn't worry too much. I've had some appointments bumped due to stuff going late, but at the same time I've had my own sessions bump other people. Clients can show up late or whatever and screw up things. Unless it becomes habitual or excessive I really wouldn't mind it.

Just curious how long did you wait?

I didn't, i was merely seeing how you all react to it :)

As a tattooer and shop owner I pay particular attention to how I am treated when I walk in to a tattoo shop----- I 'm older and i'm not particularly cool, hip looking, overly attractive, and I normally don't walk around in a tank top and shorts, with exposed tattoos. That being said, I shouldn't have to give another tattooist a resume to expect good customer service, as a customer or fellow tattooist.

If able, you should be kind and courteous to every one that walks through your door.

Courteousness is key. It shouldn't matter who you are, how many tattoos you have, what you're getting, etc., you should be treated with courtesy. There are so many great tattoo artists out there that I can't be bothered by getting tattooed by someone who is rude or is a dick.

It's also bad business sense. A couple of years ago my wife @Pugilist emailed a very good local tattoo artist about getting a tattoo (for what it's worth, it wasn't the easiest tattoo request) but instead of just saying that he wasn't interested in doing it, he sent a really assholey reply...though, curiously enough, he didn't actually say he didn't want to do it. It was probably good in the long run that he did that because that got her looking into travelling for tattoos, which led her to Stephanie Tamez at Saved who is completely amazing both as a tattooer and as a human being, and who is now doing a full back piece on her. There's a few thousand dollars that the first guy potentially deprived himself of.

Obviously, that courteousness goes both ways. To me, that means appreciating the fact that tattooers are often busy and might not respond to my emails as quickly as I'd ideally like, that appointments often run late, that when they suggest something it's often to make a better tattoo, and so on and so forth.

• 3 months later...
Somebody always knows a guy.

So, many, many moons ago, I got an all-expense paid vacation at an all-inclusive luxury resort at 26th & California in Chicago. Locals will know what I mean. While I was there, I hear from my boys on the street about a guy slingin out of a motel near a local truckstop. He's doing pretty much whatever you want for the price of a quarter-bag. Hey-it was the seventies. Anyhow.

New vacationer comes in, he's got this big, funky green dragon tattooed on his arm.

"Where'd'ja get it?"

"At a party at a motel onna Sout Side"

"How much"

"Twennyfi bux."

"BUT IT ITCHES!!!"

Man, that thing was still oozing from a hole in the center about six months later when I had to leave! Turns out I stayed friends with the guy, and that damn tattoo didn't heal for almost a year. Don't know what kind of infection it had, but it would skin-over, then break open and start oozing again. Nasty.

Oh, and someone stomped the scratcher and busted up his shit after he put some shabby work on a chick. Sout Side, baby.

R.I.P. Gip MPGL

"whoa that's nice who did it?.......are they cheap?.......oh.....damn....well my one buddy knows this guy!" I stop listening around that point.

My skin-flint cheap mofo brother in law is like that... how much did that cost you... He always seems to know someone that will work for $75 an hour. I asked him is that why all his tattoos look like shit.

Rob