Staying in SF...advice?

cfgsteak

Sooooo...I'm gonna head out to SF for the SoG convention...I dont necessarily want to stay out by the airport. I'm originally from Oakland (moved when I was a baby) and I havent been to the City in about 14 years. I thought about staying in the neighborhood by AT&T park. Like around Harrison and 5th. It seems pretty close to a BART station (and about about a mile and a half from Black Heart). I just want to make sure i can make the walk back from the station at night with less than a 50/50 chance of getting mugged (I'm not fearful of walking around in cities, but I'd like to have an idea of what I am getting into).

Any advice appreciated! thanks!

I don't know much in the way of hotels and the like, but there are some great restaurants in the food thread. Here are a few of my favorites.

Freddie's- sandwich shop by Ocean Beach.

Fresca- Peruvian food with three different locations in SF.

North Beach Sushi- amazing sushi in North Beach of all places.

Basil- Thai food in SoMa.

Golden Boy Pizza

Who are you getting zapped by at the convention?

I stayed at the Convention hotel last year and plan to do the same this year. At night the Wife and I plan to head into the city for dinner.

I think it's much more convenient and cost effective to just stay where the convention is held...

@cfgsteak SOMA and The Mission have seeing a spike in mugging-esq crimes over the past few years though SOMA does have some good places to eat and stay then The Mission good places to eat. The closer to Market is best for BART. For all those who are coming to SF the World Wide Website Jetsetter has been having some really nice SF and Sausalito hotels for good prices so you may want to sign up on that site and watch for sales....if you want to join send me an email with your email address and I can send you a join link. It's a good site to be a part of if you travel fairly often as well.

We just may have to do two back to back month LST meet ups.....September for our two years and October for those coming for the convention....

Thanks @Lochlan

I appreciate the information, hmmmm...maybe it would just be better to stay at the hotel and travel into the city like @ian...but I would like to check out that site. I'll shoot you an email.

Thanks @Boohdah, i will check out the food thread too. I have an appt with Valerie Vargas and I have contacted two other guys and I am just waitin on confirmation. I am very excited about the whole deal, going to SF, getting tattooed, seeing some badass tattooers and tattoos, meeting some people from here. Seems like it will be a fun weekend.

Ok Kev...that sounds good. Great excuse to check out Tattoo City! Food in SF is so good (at least it was, I cant imagine its still not a great city to eat in). I'm not sure about the hotel, it might be TOO nice...depends if I end up going solo or I end up accompanied by a female comrade...;)

If I go solo I tend to slum it a bit more.

That funny, and a pretty good point @hogg

I'm really leaning towards the hotel where the convention is at this point. And, unless the BART has radiacally changed, I dont remember it being dangerous...I've got NYC subway experience so I'm not freaking out on BART...

And, unless the BART has radiacally changed, I dont remember it being dangerous...I've got NYC subway experience so I'm not freaking out on BART...

Like usual, take Hunter's advice cautiously... BART is no more dangerous than anywhere else. Trip not.

• 2 months later...

ok bumping this up enjoyed the info, I am staying a week now and my wife and daughter are along for the trip. Staying 4 days at Wyndham near chinatown and the next 3 at Hyatt. There is too much to do along with getting tattooed. My 3 year old is excited for the exploritoruim and seeing sharks. My wife wants to see the parks and I want to survive my appts and check out SF. thanks @MadeIndelible for eats options will check out for sure.

I know this is going to make me seem like fat american but anywhere to get a great buffett??

last year i stayed at the hyatt where the convention was held and boy am i glad i did. one of my appointments i had to come back down a few times, it was nice to be able to just waltz up to my room whenever (you can only walk in a circle so many times without looking like a tard) so i will gladly pay the extra 20-30 dollars for that convenience. although i know the holiday inn express is right by it too