Hola.. have one, getting a second one. (Have a question.)

keepcalm

Hola, folks. I've read through a bit of stuff here and find all of the different perspectives really interesting -- cool forum.

I got my first tattoo in 2007 and am finally going back for another. I actually have a question about the "difficulty" of the design I'm working with and was hoping to ask for some more professional opinions from you guys since I'm not very well-versed in this stuff personally. I saw that I can't start a thread in the "Tattoo Questions" section until I have 10 posts, so if anyone wants to play 20 Questions right now, I'm game :)

Thanks!

Welcome. I suggest lurking around for a bit as a huge number of questions and topics have been covered already. I usually use the search bar to see if the question is answered first, as this is faster than waiting for a response. In any case what is your question.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I'm not sure exactly what I would search for, but maybe you'll have some suggestions.

I'm wondering how difficult is it to do the kind of shading I'd like -- I guess I was just going to post a photo that gives the idea and ask, can most tattoo artists do detail like this, or is this a little tricky, and I'd better make sure I go to someone really good? That kind of thing. Hopefully that's not insulting -- I don't mean it that way. The design is an elephant, and if it doesn't look really good, it's going to look pretty crappy, know what I mean?

This isn't my design, but this design does get at the level of detail/shading I'm looking for: http://www.galleryoftattoosnow.com/OlegTuryanskiyHOSTED/images/gallery/medium/realistic-elephant-tattoo.jpg

Thanks again for the reply!

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I'm not sure exactly what I would search for, but maybe you'll have some suggestions.

I'm wondering how difficult is it to do the kind of shading I'd like -- I guess I was just going to post a photo that gives the idea and ask, can most tattoo artists do detail like this, or is this a little tricky, and I'd better make sure I go to someone really good? That kind of thing. Hopefully that's not insulting -- I don't mean it that way. The design is an elephant, and if it doesn't look really good, it's going to look pretty crappy, know what I mean?

This isn't my design, but this design does get at the level of detail/shading I'm looking for: http://www.galleryoftattoosnow.com/OlegTuryanskiyHOSTED/images/gallery/medium/realistic-elephant-tattoo.jpg

Thanks again for the reply!

With a bit of lurking you can find your answer to this question. The problem is you are asking the wrong question. The question that would help the best would be looking for a good artist (either locally or elsewhere depending on your desired amount of travel). On the forum there are a few places to check for good shops/artists that are great at what they do. Your question and any others can easily be answered by an actual tattoo artist, and you should get the answer only from the artist you choose to tattoo you.

To sum up:

To get the answer on "can this be done" can only be answered by the person that will do it. It is like asking: "Can a person fix my car" Of course somebody can but you must find the mechanic first to see if they can do it.

here is a good place to start:Tattoo Shop Reviews | Last Sparrow Tattoo