Does personality/attitude/lifestyle matter when choosing a tattooer?

fuckhead

this thread will only work if people start naming names. I would only get tattooed by people I like personally. Im almost full up so those remaining patches of skin are very important to me.

Eh, the reason I didn't name any names is because inevitably, someone who knows said assholes reads this board (if not said assholes or their co-workers) and I don't want this coming back to me somehow...let's just say one or both of said assholes may have worked at an "LST approved" shop...does that narrow it enough? I don't want this to turn into a shitfest anyway, just wanted to discuss a question. But, if you think someone is, conversely, a really nice person, leave their name! I just won't because the dudes I was tattooed by (who were very nice) work at a shop with said assholes and...I think everyone at the shop would know who the shop asshole is I'm talking about!

Gruff is fine, rough around the edges, down to business...I'm the oldest most curmudgeonly 30-something you're likely to meet. In this line of work you don't often have to be charming but you don't get to be rude or abusive, assuming the client is neutral to good. What we do is or can be taxing so I don't think every tattooer needs to turn on the charm every day but if you can't treat people with reasonable baseline of respect then you have no business subjecting them to your bullshit and taking their money. No level of acclaim or experience makes this less true. If you can't work with people...don't work with people. It's not all about the tattooer and what he's good at but what he can offer someone and I think the experience is part of that. That said, people shouldn't go to a shop and mistake it for a trip to the mall either.

I think Abelive's last post summed it up for me: Basically I don't expect to be sitting down and discovering a friend for life when I get tattooed, or be treated to some kind of therapy or show-and-tell as well as getting the tattoo ... But I expect to be met halfway in terms of civility and customer-service. I don't mind someone being gruff or not particularly wanting to talk, but if someone is actively being a dick then for me personally it doesn't matter how good a tattooer they are, I would probably prefer to go to another competent tattooer (and luckily there are a lot out there and I can swing traveling etc. if necessary) rather than give my money to someone who treats me badly.

As for people's personal private lives (their beliefs, addictions or lack thereof, whatever), I don't think I would consider it relevant unless it impacted on their delivery of the tattoo and the way they treated me as a customer.

...and lifestyle...how I live is my business, how I work is yours, mine and my boss's. So lifestyle only matters when it intersects with work habits. It can be a deciding factor though. If you can have a good conversation about a shared interest it can make for a nice experience but only if you're deciding between equal tattooers. I can't see getting a weak tattoo for good banter.

i know lots of people care mostly about having tattoos from guys who are hot shit at the time, or just care to be at the hot shit shop

i don't really care about that, i prefer to have an enjoyable experience, hear some good stories and have some laughs...i'm lucky that i know of a place that i can do that and still get a great tattoo.

i'm also lucky that all the dudes i've been tattoo'd by have been pretty ok guys.

Yea but the flip side to that is its also annoying when people think that because I go to someone specificly that your only going for the name. If I see a tattooer I like work from I get tattooed by that person...I dont think thats crazy you know? Ill get shit from people who are like "you only get tattooed by big shots" etc etc and I just like to add some adventure/travel and fun to my tattoos. Plus Im older now and have a decent job so if I want a tattoo from someone whose work I like I get it.

... Ill get shit from people who are like "you only get tattooed by big shots" etc etc and I just like to add some adventure/travel and fun to my tattoos. Plus Im older now and have a decent job so if I want a tattoo from someone whose work I like I get it.

Sellout!;)

I think Abelive's last post summed it up for me: Basically I don't expect to be sitting down and discovering a friend for life when I get tattooed, or be treated to some kind of therapy or show-and-tell as well as getting the tattoo ... But I expect to be met halfway in terms of civility and customer-service. I don't mind someone being gruff or not particularly wanting to talk, but if someone is actively being a dick then for me personally it doesn't matter how good a tattooer they are, I would probably prefer to go to another competent tattooer (and luckily there are a lot out there and I can swing traveling etc. if necessary) rather than give my money to someone who treats me badly.

As for people's personal private lives (their beliefs, addictions or lack thereof, whatever), I don't think I would consider it relevant unless it impacted on their delivery of the tattoo and the way they treated me as a customer.

This.

this thread will only work if people start naming names. I would only get tattooed by people I like personally. Im almost full up so those remaining patches of skin are very important to me.

I saw on Grant Cobb's Instagram that you may come by Liberty on the 13th and get tattooed by him. My wife and I will be there that day getting tattooed by Matt. I wanted to get tattooed by Grant but we have had these appointments scheduled for too long to cancel. I met Grant a couple of months ago at Spotlight, and he definitely falls into the category of people I like and would like to get tattooed by.

there is a guy i work with he does some decent tattoo's and he keeps hinting at tattooing me and when do i want to get a tattoo from him its the least he can do for me as i treat him well and setup/breakdown his station. but i kinda dont want a tattoo from him, hes kind of a douche bag. but i dont want to ruffle any feathers so i kinda humor him, i need to find a way out of it. he has a huge ego has been tattoing for 2 or 3 years and acts like hes been in it for 20 has like 3 tattoos from others guys in the shop, not that that matters im just ranting, done.

Attitude is everything for me. I am privileged enough to live in a city with a lot of good tattooers. I stop into their shops to say hi when I am in the neighborhood and they do they same when they are in mine. I don't get tattooed by someone in Portland unless I have at least had a couple conversations with them or hung out with them outside a tattoo shop. There are plenty of people I like in this city I haven't been tattooed by, although there are some people who turn into assholes the more you get to know them or in one case when they get a little bit of popularity so my approach isn't full proof.

I really don't care that much about drinking or recreational drug use. I wouldn't feel the same way if it was a normal customer capacity, but there has been more than one occasion that some great tattoo ideas have been spawned over some tall boys at the bar down the street after hours. Ideas so good that couldn't wait till morning. Now if a tattooer couldn't handle his liquor that might deter me from going to them (just kidding).

Traveling I try to do my research and find people's stuff I like or friends of people I already get tattooed by. I didn't plan on getting tattooed in Chicago last week, but saw the cool tattoos my friend has been getting and decided to tag along and got a little souvenir. But I have had good luck with everyone I have been tattooed by while traveling.

For me the personality of the artist is almost as important as his skill. I will not go to someone who has a superiority complex or treats their clients in an unfriendly, cold or distant way. I need to have a rapport with whoever tattoos me and I need to feel comfortable communicating what I want.

I (randomly) ended up looking at some Yelp tattoo reviews of a studio this morning - it just popped up in my search results and I read them.

Amazing how many reviews involved people saying they had a 'bad' or at least 'less than ideal' experience because they didn't "connect" with their tattooer. One even commented that if she was going to have to spend 3-4 hours with them then it was important to her that she be able to relate to them as a person. A couple make reference only to the 'personality free zone' that was their tattooer.

It makes me think of someone rejecting their architect on the basis of their personality (not necessarily their customer service). "Hmm, the plans look great and it's got all the features incorporated I asked for... But Tom is just a personality-free zone in our meetings, and I can't identify with him on a deep enough emotional level."

Good to know. Just want something tiny from him. Hopefully he has time. Matt did a big hannya on my ribs 5 or 6 years ago. He is a real good dude.

I saw on Grant Cobb's Instagram that you may come by Liberty on the 13th and get tattooed by him. My wife and I will be there that day getting tattooed by Matt. I wanted to get tattooed by Grant but we have had these appointments scheduled for too long to cancel. I met Grant a couple of months ago at Spotlight, and he definitely falls into the category of people I like and would like to get tattooed by.

One of the hardest things for me about tattooing was learning how to connect with people in a real short period of time. You have to really try to put yourself out there so someone feels like you appreciate the fact that they are letting you tattoo them. Most tattooers forget who the process is really about, the customer. I constantly remind myself that although each appointment is just a small part of my day, it is a huge part of that persons life from that point on. If you cant understand this and treat people accordingly then tattooing is a bad career choice for you. That being said, sometimes people are hard to connect with no matter how hard you try.

Here's a related topic, but before the discussion gets out of hand, I'm going to let everyone know:

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT JEF WHITEHEAD

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR MAKING ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT HIS INNOCENCE OR GUILT, OR HOW HE'S A GOOD OR BAD DUDE, AND HERETOFORE I HAVE NOT MEANT TO SUBTLY GIVE THE IMPRESSION THAT THIS THREAD HAS HIM IN MIND. FOR BEST RESULTS, NO FUTURE REFERENCES TO HIM SHALL BE MADE HEREIN.

Now that that's out of the way:

If a tattooer has had some run-ins with the law (regardless of which side they came out on), or has a "reputation", does that influence your likelihood of being tattooed by that person?

Well...i want a tattoo pretty badly from he who shall no longer be named in this topic.....so I guess not.

- - - Updated - - -

For naming names of people I've been tattooed by or have been around that are cool and good tattooers:

Regino Gonzales

Stewart Robson

Thomas Hooper

Kiku

Troy Denning

and the list goes on but there is a few

Ill add Chris O Donnell, Jondix (most relaxed guy ever, really into classic doometal and U.S. big budget TV) and Chad Koeplinger who is great to talk to and just a good human.

One of the hardest things for me about tattooing was learning how to connect with people in a real short period of time. You have to really try to put yourself out there so someone feels like you appreciate the fact that they are letting you tattoo them. Most tattooers forget who the process is really about, the customer. I constantly remind myself that although each appointment is just a small part of my day, it is a huge part of that persons life from that point on. If you cant understand this and treat people accordingly then tattooing is a bad career choice for you. That being said, sometimes people are hard to connect with no matter how hard you try.[/quote

Thanks Bo,that was interesting to hear about connecting with a client from a tattooers perspective.Most of the tattoos on me are from people that I've met before they tattooed me.Sometimes i will really like a tattooers work,but i won't click with them when we meet,and so i won't get tattooed by them.It's not that their an asshole or something,it's that we just don't vibe with each other.

I don't give a damn if a man has stacked hard time-I think you tend to meet a better class of person in prison! Really, if he's done his time, and as long as he isn't short-eyes or like that, so what? I guess the only other beef I would have would be if he was a commie P.O.S.

hahaha pmsl

- - - Updated - - -

What about language barriers, between you and the artist does that bother anyone ?

Never ran into it, but I've been able to get around language problems in my travels pretty well...I guess if you were working off his wall or portfolio, or had a pic you wanted copied, or could even start him with an idea and work with him on the sketch, you could handle it.