Tight-Lines

The first concert I ever went to was Conway Twitty (i was ten). After the show he sat on the end of the stage and signed about two thousand autographs. I think that I may be the only person in the world that has seen Conway Twitty and Bad Brains live.

I agree about Garth Brooks. He did for country music what Star Wars did for movies.

I was so drunk that I did not recall making this post...

I truly hate this "New" country. Its music for pre-teens and prozac filled housewives who take advice from some 20 year old bimbo about relationships.

Country should be three things:

1.) Sad

2.) Full of Whiskey

3.) Non-Apologetic

Those Poor Bastard's got it right man...

The first concert I ever went to was Conway Twitty (i was ten). After the show he sat on the end of the stage and signed about two thousand autographs. I think that I may be the only person in the world that has seen Conway Twitty and Bad Brains live.

I agree about Garth Brooks. He did for country music what Star Wars did for movies.

Did Conway and Bad Brains play together? That would be insane... except for the fact bad brains are totally homophobic... but they make good music.

I'd rather see that bullshit on TV and know that it's bullshit then to see people like Hank III who truly embody what country music and outlaw living is really about on TV in an awards ceremony. It's kinda weird that GG Allin got me inspired to listen to country but hell the two go hand in hand I guess.

I'd rather see that bullshit on TV and know that it's bullshit then to see people like Hank III who truly embody what country music and outlaw living is really about on TV in an awards ceremony. It's kinda weird that GG Allin got me inspired to listen to country but hell the two go hand in hand I guess.

I know how you feel. The first time I saw Anti-Seen, Jeff Clayton just talked about how rock n roll is dead and outlaw country is alive and well. I remember him saying "Drink whiskey, fuck women and listen to George Jones." Anti-Seen got me into country...

• 11 months later...

I may be a young-un, but my dad played all the "old" guys for me when I was a kid on his guitar, I've had some shitty days where something he played pops back into my brain and I look it up and find it, brings back memories. :]

I listen to "modern country" But when Taylor started getting big with a few of the others, I don't tolerate it 24/7 any more. I miss Johnny Cash, Jennings, the true blue country

I've listened to country music since I was little. And while I agree that "new" country isnt "old" country, it isnt all bad. I still like guys like Brad Paisley and Dierks Bentley and Jamey Johnson etc. I LOVE Willy and Waylon and the boys and although he isnt necessarily at his best these days, Hank Jr. was my favorite in my high school/college years. The only place I'll disagree with some of you cats is when it gets more "outlaw" than that. I find that I dont like Hank III and that group at all. I find it to be too self indulgent and more of an attempt to see how outlaw they can be. I think Waylon and Merle and those guys were more genuine by far. Just my opinion. Plus, regardless of any of that their music was really, really good.

I find that I dont like Hank III and that group at all. I find it to be too self indulgent and more of an attempt to see how outlaw they can be. I think Waylon and Merle and those guys were more genuine by far. Just my opinion. Plus, regardless of any of that their music was really, really good.

i think hank is the real deal, i don't think he is just talking about doing drugs and such just to sound cool. plus with the type of exposure and attention he gets, he never forgets to pay homage and respect to those who paved the way. i like that he has continued to try and push the extremes of country music. but then again i think that ALL pop country is bad. it bothers me that it's even called country

i think hank is the real deal, i don't think he is just talking about doing drugs and such just to sound cool. plus with the type of exposure and attention he gets, he never forgets to pay homage and respect to those who paved the way. i like that he has continued to try and push the extremes of country music. but then again i think that ALL pop country is bad. it bothers me that it's even called country

Fact.

I'm kind of an old fart so sometimes my patience for the "kids" is low. I guess it's like my parents hating my music. Though I do see a difference between guys like him and the guys of his dad's generation. They had outlaw reputations but stayed mainstream enough to be the "pop country" of the time in that they were and still are very popular. I dont have any issues with people liking what they like though.

i agree, i dont mind people liking what they like. my only issue with it being called country is when talking to people and getting to know them they'll ask if i like country and i now have to specify what type of country or else there is great confusion and i have them trying to convince me that toby keith is hardcore country music. haha

really to me, most of the stuff from the 70's on is pop country. for whatever reason i like most of what was pop country from the 40's and 50's and most of the 60's. i know jim reeves is for sure some smoothed out polished country but goddamn that guy can deliver. same with the later more polished faron young. killer

here he is doing a willie nelson tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnnA_tqGpv4&feature=related

I'm with you on the early stuff. That is what was in my house when I was young. We had a friend who actually did some recording in a studio he built in his house. Some lesser known acts would come record there. I just loved it. I guess I identify with that era mostly because it reminds me of my folks so much. I can still picture riding to church in the Impala hoping dad would pop the Johnny Cash 8 track in. Ring of Fire. I'll still take modern country over most other modern music. I'm not even sure what rock is supposed to be any more.