maybe i can talk her into signing up, even if it's just to do a blog telling some of their old stories. and as surprised as they are that learning all of this is as important to me as it is, i'm not sure they quite understood how many people on here will be interested by it, along with the scope of this particular forum.

It'd be great to hear some of their old stories. And you could always just show then this thread and the interest they have inadvertently created haha

i actually didn't know "Charlie" was Goodtime Charlie until i was 21 or 22 (2 or 3 years ago, i know, i'm so old), when i was getting tattooed by Dennis McPhail, and mom pointed out a photo from Jack Rudy's wedding with Dennis, Charlie, Jack, and Corey Miller. until that moment, i just thought Charlie was a rando local, since his time in Kansas isn't super known among most people here.

This is like part of a detective novel! Great photos/stories dude, so much fun hearing about your folks' tattoos.

It'd be great to hear some of their old stories. And you could always just show then this thread and the interest they have inadvertently created haha

Be careful what you ask for ! LOL ... hi, i am a new member after following the posts after my son posted the pics of the hubbys work from Charlie. We are honestly just learning how important this is. we are happy to share pics/stories and hope to see the same from others! my husband and i share this profile, so you can address either or both of us anytime you would like. we are looking forward to checking out the forum and seeing what we've been missing. :)

@Duffa, awesome. Keep staring at all the stuff on Tyron's legs.. esp. the pharaoh's horses. AND I'm pretty sure I see little spidey filler in there just below his left knee! Wish I could make out what he's got on his knees. Man, love that photo.

@Scott R, that's Rick Walters. I think they're just bent and look that way in the photo? Though I wouldn't be surprised if Rick Walters was missing various appendages.

Guest alstonemusic

I have 2 tattoo's that were done in Greg Mays shop in Wisconsin, lake Geneva up stars of janes remains bar, and i was living in that town at the time and got to hang out with Greg May he was a blast and not only a great tattoo Artist but a good person. and good friend. bless Greg May......... Al stone

• 5 weeks later...

Not photos per se but images from a book from 1671 (thats pretty old. My wife is an early modern literature nerd and found these photos on a blog (resobscura.blogspot.co.uk). THey come from an article on Brazilians by some Dutch dude: (Following text and photos nicked from said blog so not mine).

"Europeans were also fascinated and fearful of the "monstrous" forms of indigenous Brazilians themselves. Although most accounts remarked upon the good health, longevity and physique of Tupí Indians and other indigenous societies in Brazil (probably a reflection more of the poor health and diet of the European mariners than anything else), others focused on their tendency toward body-modification. The most entertaining and strange European take on piercing and tattooing I have been able to find is John Bulwer's fantastically titled Anthropometamorphosis: Man Transform’d, or the Artificial Changeling. Historically presented, in the mad and cruel Gallantry, foolish Bravery, ridiculous Beauty, filthy Fineness, and loathesome Loveliness of most Nations, fashioning & altering their Bodies from the Mould intended by Nature. With a Vindication of the Regular Beauty and Honesty of Nature, and an Appendix of the Pedigree of the English Gallant. (London: J. Hardesty, 1650). (I wrote about this a bit in an earlier post). Below he describes how "the Brasileans... are pricked within the flesh" with paint."

Bulwer-1653-459.jpg

"Bulwer's title page takes this a step further, showing an Amerindian figure sporting some truly remarkable tattoos! The European woman with facial tattoos to the figure's left highlights Bulwer's concern that this "barbarous" custom would become fashionable with his own countrymen (he was right, but it would take another three hundred years or so to really catch on, and the whole "face on a butt" tattoo fad seems to still lie in the future)."

artificial+changling+res.jpg

Interesting eh?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I uploaded these correctly, so I hope the pictures come through along with the explanations.

The first few, of the peacock, skull/top-hat and snake, were done by Al Schiefley. The guy got the tattoos in the early 70's, shortly before Al died. I ran into this guy in southeastern Ohio and asked if I could take his picture. He didn't know what the big deal was, and seemed a little weirded out at first. I told him I liked getting pictures of old tattoos, especially done by guys from Ohio, and after talking with him a few minutes he seemed delighted about it. I also have a couple pictures of Stoney St. Clair tattoos that are on an old guy around here, but I can't seem to find them anywhere (one was a rad little skunk, that the guy said he just did on him freehand). They're on an old photo card. I'll upload them if I find them.

The guy in the stocking cap got almost all his tattoos from Sailor Jerry Collins. I can't remember the exact dates he told me, but I remember thinking they had to have been done before the time period that I read about where Jerry got pissed at the IRS and quit tattooing for a while, so the 1950's I believe. I took the pictures in 2006, and he said the tattoos were like fifty years old. My memory might be wrong, but I think that's what he said. This dude was salty and had no problem lifting up his shirt for the picture. He got tattooed while in the service in Hawaii, and had some rad stories.

The last pictures are of Tex Rowe. I took them while at a convention in Pittsburgh in 2008. Actually, I went with Rich T., and we were both snapping pictures...I think it was his camera and he may have taken the pictures and sent them to me after. In any event, I remember Mike Skiver saying that Tex's back was done by Brooklyn Blackie, and I believe he said his chest was too, although I can't remember for sure (if you know, I'd like to know, thanks). It was pretty cool that Skiver brought him there and was bringing him around the convention. I seem to remember someone telling me that Mike did this for him often, and was close with Tex and his family, which I thought was really neat. Respect. Tex seemed fine with the pictures and it was nice to actually meet him. The dude was not only this rad old timer in tattooing, but I'd heard he was a highly decorated WWII veteran who (I heard) trained where I did (Ft. LeonardWood, MO), though I don't know that for sure. Tex passed away the next year. I got tattooed by Bowery Stan at that convention too, and I know there were a couple pictures of him and Tex, but I don't know what happened to them.