I was definitely working in Columbus Ga at Fast Freddies

25 years ago---- at the time there were 4 shops all with a few tattooers at each.

A guy named Red Dog , who learned from Sailor Bill and was a friend of Bill Loika's when he was known as Amsterdam Willie was one of the only ones who worked underground for years in Columbus.

He just preferred not working in a shop.

He past away a few years ago.

Great photos thanks for sharing!

I didn't realize that Jack worked in Columbus before Savannah--- I worked in Columbus too and Oak Grove (one town closer to post than Hopkinsville)

I wasn't sure if anyone on this forum (besides the 2 people that have worked here in town, one of which worked with me) would've heard of or met Jack before. Vey cool Deb.

He has an amazing treasure trove of classic shit. Just yesterday he showed me an original painting Don Nolan had made to put on Jack's back.

I stopped by the shop a couple of times when I was living in Columbus and visiting Savannah---- years ago

But he wasn't the friendliest(:

Could have been the time - or that I worked for Freddie-- or that I was friends with the Inksmiths --- who had been in Brunswick prior to Jacksonville

In my first 20 years of tattooing i'd often make the mistake of visiting shops, while traveling and expecting some sort of welcome-- I'm just pretty friendly----

All great cards

Thanks again for sharing

I always loved Cliff's cards.

No he wasn't but oh well.

I actually remember visiting the shop one day because at the time the area hadn't been gentrified ---and it felt like I was walking forever from the riverwalk --- maybe because it was like 115 degrees --- and I was so glad to finally find it--- and I walked in---- and Jack

(;

the area hadn't been gentrified

Yeah from what I am told back then downtown (pre-SCAD) was still really scummy and there were still strip clubs and shit like that down there. I missed that era; which is fine by me.

115 degrees

Sounds about right for mid-summer Savannah

• 2 weeks later...

In Sacramento in the early 80s there was a shop ran by an old timey sailor type in an alley off of Broadway. When I was growing up this was the only shop in the midtown area that I can remember. Anyone remember the name or the old crusty guy that ran it? If memory serves it was there since the 60s or 70s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...