I work part time in a gun shop and this old guy walks in sporting, among other things, a Stoney St. Claire pinup. His best recollection was that it was done in the 60's or 70's. Stoney had a shop in Columbus from 1970 to 1980 so this tracks.

IMG_1691_zps9ee9fa6e.jpg[/url]

The forearm piece was apparently his ex-wife's name "Mildred"? that Stoney had covered up and changed to "Mom & Dad". That rose is all but gone...

IMG_1690_zpscb39d4f4.jpg[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Here's a great old picture of Dangerous Dan , Randy Adams , Jumbo , Gil Montie and Freddie Negrete guarding the shop during the L.A. riots .

Freddie Negrete is the man but until recently I didn't know he is in one of my favourite movies " Blood In Blood out " looking hench no less as well .

Freddies at 5 .28 if you're in a hurry .

• 1 month later...

My family reunion was this past week. I made sure to get some shots of the tattoos on my great uncles. These would be some of the first tattoos I remember seeing as a child.

These are on my Uncle Jerry. Done in Vancouver, BC in 1941 by Steve Robertson*. My uncle was 15 years old, and was working on the Building and Rail gang of the CN Railway. One night they got into a bottle of wine, the older guys told him he was going to get tattoos, and he went along with it. They cost $1.25 each.

* My uncle says these were done in a shop by an artist of that name. Has anyone heard of him? There is a Canadian tattoo history thread I have yet to read through fully, I will check there too.

First is a heart with an arrow+banner, "Father" and "Mother" above and below.

Second is an anchor, kind of tough to read nowadays as it's quite small.

These four are on my great-uncle Boots, who served in the Royal Canadian Navy.

First two are on his upper arms and were done in 1949 in a street booth "by some 19 year-old kid in Pompey, England". Google tells me that means Southampton.

The second two larger ones are on his forearms and were done in Victoria, BC. Artist unknown. Within the same year, I believe.

All of his kids' names are in/around the tattoos.

• 3 months later...
My hats off to the Destroyer Navy - REAL Navy men!

My dad was a radar/radio operator in the Navy during Korea. He sailed on a few WWII tin can destroyers, one named the USS Boyd or DD-544. They supported the Missouri's “Cobra” patrols with shore bombardment of enemy supply routes.

He had photos of the ship's rigging all covered in ice and brought home several cool things from Japan, like an engraved coffee table, a 3-stringed shamisen, a hand made metal wallet with an engraved 5 dollar bill on the outside, newspapers, plus plenty of stories. We lost most of it in a fire, including the little business cards Japanese boys would hand the sailors for the local bordellos.

The crew would play practical jokes on each other and also had a dare game called, "If you don't do _____, you ain't got a hair on your ass". They would climb ever higher up the superstructure to dive from when stuck on-board in a port until one of the guys almost died.

DD-544_Boyd.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Presumably the details of eyes, eyebrows, etc have run together so that there are now two large dark smudges for eyes - which themselves run into the hair. Also the nose and mouth have run together. It no longer looks like a face - well, not a human face. All art deteriorates - the Mona Lisa is dull and faded today, etc etc, but that doesn't mean I have to pretend that today's dull and faded Mona Lisa is better than the way it looked after Da Vinci painted it. Modern reconstructions of the original are quite something.

Possibly not! But here to learn? I'v been cautious of excess detail, fine lines etc just because I would prefer minimal smudging over time...

Obviously I understand that this particular tattoo would represent a very particular experience and time for the person concerned and that he would therefore most likely not want to alter it for any reason. My question is therefore more general.

Any input appreciated.