This tattoo was done on my boss Ross Ferrie by Pinky Yun in 1982. Ross always tells this story of getting this dragon along with many others of Pinky. Pinky basically dipped a toothipick in some black ink gave himself a few reference points and just started tattooing on his arm. Ross admits he wasn't so sure at the time but the end result turned out.

The other photo is Ross and Pinky in 1982 and a painting our friend Ashley did for Ross shortly after Pinky's death. Note Ashley painted this while in New Zealand only from what he remembered it looking like.

Irezumi, I apprenticed under Jack in Savannah in 1988 and it was something else haha! It was pre prozac! Deb, it might have been the Inksmith connection, but it was his nature to not welcome other tattooers. In my time there we never had a tattooer visit but some would call and it was always "how slow it is" and that type of thing. He was the most paranoid and untrusting person I ever met and that made such an impact on me.. i still have to keep my back to the wall and eyeball every person that comes through the door. I am sure if you work for Jack you have heard the stories. IF he likes you he has a heart of gold and would give you the shirt off his back. both him and Sharon were so nice to me. I owe Jack everything for getting me into this business.

I will have to go through some pics I have and post them. I have some good ones!

Irezumi, I apprenticed under Jack in Savannah in 1988 and it was something else haha! It was pre prozac! Deb, it might have been the Inksmith connection, but it was his nature to not welcome other tattooers. In my time there we never had a tattooer visit but some would call and it was always "how slow it is" and that type of thing. He was the most paranoid and untrusting person I ever met and that made such an impact on me.. i still have to keep my back to the wall and eyeball every person that comes through the door. I am sure if you work for Jack you have heard the stories. IF he likes you he has a heart of gold and would give you the shirt off his back. both him and Sharon were so nice to me. I owe Jack everything for getting me into this business.

I will have to go through some pics I have and post them. I have some good ones!

its been a while since i posted but heres a few more old timers, the anchor and tiger where done on a guy named Chuck Renslow. Chuck was "partners" with Cliff Raven and actually introduced Cliff to Phil Sparrow. Chuck was learning how to tattoo from Phil in the late 50s and decided it wasnt for him, but thought Cliff should pursue it. The rest is history.

post-22-146168834002_thumb.jpg

The next two images where done in Milwaukee around 1965, this guy said that they where done by two different guys at the same shop. He said he was 15 when he got them and that the tattooers seemed ancient to him, so I am assuming they where done by Tatts Thomas and Amund Dietzel since they where working together at the time.

post-22-146168834005_thumb.jpg

post-22-146168834008_thumb.jpg

this post has turned out to be pretty cool im stoked to see how many people have contributed..thanks for doing so i love seeing these old tattoos and how they have aged.

So heres 3 tattoos by Ralph Johnstone done at what i figured was the 400 S State Street shop that he and Tatts worked until they changed the law to 21 in 1963 and everyone closed shop..

This guy said he was pretty young when he got tattooed by Johnstone but said he was always very nice to him despite the super scary guys that hung out there. He said Johnstone introduced him to some mob guys that used to hang out in the shop when he was there claiming that one of them was Capones brother.

post-22-146168834013_thumb.jpg

post-22-146168834015_thumb.jpg

post-22-146168834017_thumb.jpg

These two where on a guy who came in the shop who was pretty wasted. He said he got the dagger in Lake Geneva at Greg May's first spot "you know by the train tracks before he moved upstairs" that had to be in the late 60s, he said it like it was common knowledge..

not sure about the Playboy bunny

post-22-146168834019_thumb.jpg

post-22-146168834021_thumb.jpg