This book, Bodies of Subversion, Second Edition: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo, looks like it has some amazing old pictures, does anyone have it?

i had it checked out. it has some great ones, but the best source for vintage tattoo photos i think is Spider Webb's The Big Book of Tattoo

This book, Bodies of Subversion, Second Edition: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo, looks like it has some amazing old pictures, does anyone have it?

i just realized this is Madame Chinchilla's book. just yesterday, i was thinking "why isn't Madame Chinchilla on Last Sparrow?". i suppose i should send the link her way...

So today i met with a guy named Chuck Renslow, he is responsible for introducing Cliff Raven to Phil Sparrow. From there Cliff and Phil became close and Phil taught Cliff how to tattoo. Chuck did a very small stint as a tattooer with Phil Sparrow and Cliff when they moved to Milwaukee in the late 60s. He only had a few tattoos 2 where by Phil Sparrow done around the late 50s early 60s both where done on South State Street in Chicago.

post-22-146168829199_thumb.jpg

post-22-146168829197_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah! We have Pushing Ink, classic 80's tattooing.

I think my friend Jill Bonny, or Horiyuki, got her start with him, although I could be wrong. Any imput here, Jill?

yes indeed, he had an amazing photo of royboy with his tacky wife in 80s lingerie and a tiger on a chain on the wall in his office, as far as loch's japanese bath house photo, judging from the quality I think it may be from this shoot that life magazine did in the 60s, pretty crazy for the time. Where did you get it from, Loch? I'm pretty sure it's on display at Horiyoshi's tattoo museum in Yokohama, but there is no photography permitted there ;)

I always thought Hanky Panky's 1000 Tattoos pretty much across the board is the holy bible of tattoo photo books.

yes indeed, he had an amazing photo of royboy with his tacky wife in 80s lingerie and a tiger on a chain on the wall in his office, as far as loch's japanese bath house photo, judging from the quality I think it may be from this shoot that life magazine did in the 60s, pretty crazy for the time. Where did you get it from, Loch? I'm pretty sure it's on display at Horiyoshi's tattoo museum in Yokohama, but there is no photography permitted there ;)

I always thought Hanky Panky's 1000 Tattoos pretty much across the board is the holy bible of tattoo photo books.

Hey Jill, it was emailed to me from a friend so no idea as they said they found it on a tumblr blog with no reference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing Nick

I still haven't been able to upload any pics here. New Mac

I know its off topic a little but. . Deb, Have you figured out how to upload a pic yet? I run a mac and I may know whats wrong/and how to fix it. Just message me on my profile and I will try to help you out