tumblr_m8crl89N3C1qgs2k5o1_500.jpg

Floyd Samson tattooed by Milton Zeis

When researching the Zeis book I came across a fair amount of info about Floyd Samson. He was mostly a circus and carnival tattooer. Met Zeis working with the Cole Bros circus. Stayed in contact for the rest of Zeis's life. He settled down in Rockford in his later years. From my understanding helped Milt keep the supply company going for a while. Zeis's daughter was worried something bad happened to him because he just disappeared one day and they never heard from him after that. I assume he got the traveling bug but who knows. I will have to do some digging and see if I can find any info about where and when he died. His flash is really folk art looking but very cool. I would love to have a sheet of it. Sheet below was on ebay some time last year. 8202976705_f2f2f0ee58.jpg

sPZaP.jpg

San Francisco. Taken from a National Geographic magazine from April of 1932. No name given for the tattooer or the tattooed. I may be mistaken, but I think there are some more photos of tattoos done by the tattooist in the photo in that volume of Nat Geo. Some copies are being sold on eBay.

I showed this to fellow tattooer Laz Barath from Budapest, He started tattooing in 95' in Budapest. He has an outsiders perspective of american tattooing,we have very interesting conversation.anyways, he translated some of the imagery,i.e. meanings.

Loads of old russian prison tattoos in this article - A rare article worth reading in the otherwise awful Daily Mail

Symbols of a life of crime: The fading tattoos on Russia's gangland prisoners that can be read like the bearer's criminal underworld CV | Mail Online

• 2 weeks later...
I showed this to fellow tattooer Laz Barath from Budapest, He started tattooing in 95' in Budapest. He has an outsiders perspective of american tattooing,we have very interesting conversation.anyways, he translated some of the imagery,i.e. meanings.

very cool @Shannon Shirley did he share anything not in the russian encyclopedias? DO the meanings still hold value?(i see alot of knifes through neck on instagram ) There is one image from one of the books I would love to get