I met an old Swedish sailor a month or so back that let me take a few pictures of his tattoos. All he could remember was that the top two were done in the US, and the bottom two in Sweden, all from different artists during the 50's. He seemed stoked that someone took an interest in them, and I could see him stare at his own arms as he walked away after our conversation.

0BD13952-5E8F-4F42-9E2B-3AC71F4BCF99-1129-00000226684ED485_zpsf6e33aa4.jpg

There's so much magic in old sailor tattoos. I love that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Nick has been running under Great Lakes Tattoo for some years now, he's got his Facebook account under that as well.

The IG account seems to be a new one though with historical things whereas his other IG account is more for his tattoos. Anyway, because he seems to look at this place from time to time, thanks Nick for making this stuff available.

It is neat stuff-hooked-up with Nick to put on one of the old flash pieces here shortly.

That arcade at 500 S. State is the first place I ever saw real tattooing done-neat stuff.

Don't follow IG, so I don't know about his accounts, but I know that Nick got hassled my FaceBook for having too many followers because of the tattoo business, he had to start another "commercial" page for Great Lakes.

Either way, it's good to see people appreciating Nick's work, the man is a trip.

This tattoo was done on my boss Ross Ferrie by Pinky Yun in 1982. Ross always tells this story of getting this dragon along with many others of Pinky. Pinky basically dipped a toothipick in some black ink gave himself a few reference points and just started tattooing on his arm. Ross admits he wasn't so sure at the time but the end result turned out.

The other photo is Ross and Pinky in 1982 and a painting our friend Ashley did for Ross shortly after Pinky's death. Note Ashley painted this while in New Zealand only from what he remembered it looking like.

I haven't finished working my way through this thread yet, but I thought i'd have a look for any mentions of Pinky Yun. On my back from getting tattooed I got talking to a taxi driver and he said that he loved tattoos but had only ever gotten a few in his younger days.

I'm sure he said that he was something to do with the army - searching the sewers for bombs. He said that whilst he had been in Hong Kong he had been tattooed by Pinky, a dagger I think he said. Whenever one of his team passes away the surviving members had something added to the tattoo - I apologised and said that I wasn't familiar with the name, but the tone of his voice when he told me his name made me think he must have been someone important, so it stuck in my head.

A couple of months later I ordered the tattootime box set and in the first few pages Don Hardy mentions that he was a great and influential tattooer and they have an interview with Pinky (although I haven't got that far yet)

I hope I bump in to him again so that I can tell him about tattoootime and the interview with Pinky. Wish I'd seen the tattoo too. If I ever manage to get a picture I'll post it here. I think he would love to see the interview, he seemed so excited to tell me about it.

I haven't finished working my way through this thread yet, but I thought i'd have a look for any mentions of Pinky Yun. On my back from getting tattooed I got talking to a taxi driver and he said that he loved tattoos but had only ever gotten a few in his younger days.

I'm sure he said that he was something to do with the army - searching the sewers for bombs. He said that whilst he had been in Hong Kong he had been tattooed by Pinky, a dagger I think he said. Whenever one of his team passes away the surviving members had something added to the tattoo - I apologised and said that I wasn't familiar with the name, but the tone of his voice when he told me his name made me think he must have been someone important, so it stuck in my head.

A couple of months later I ordered the tattootime box set and in the first few pages Don Hardy mentions that he was a great and influential tattooer and they have an interview with Pinky (although I haven't got that far yet)

I hope I bump in to him again so that I can tell him about tattoootime and the interview with Pinky. Wish I'd seen the tattoo too. If I ever manage to get a picture I'll post it here. I think he would love to see the interview, he seemed so excited to tell me about it.

There's also a really cool blog post here about Pinky Yun:

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/blogs/gia-dobson/38-pinky-yun-my-freehand-dragon-tattoo-other-musings.html