For those of you who use/recommend Dr. Bronners for washing tattoos ( @Valerie Vargas ?), do you recommend the unscented type only? I have the tea tree liquid variety and was wondering if this would be OK for de-gunking a lower leg tattoo.

I've used both the tea-tree and peppermint liquid Dr. B's for new tattoos. Both worked out just fine.

ALL ONE!

Aquaphor healing ointment is the most consistent at healing tattoos quickly and without incident that I have ever used. A small amount twice a day is magic. I recommend washing the new tattoo with very warm water and antibacterial soap using your hand (as opposed to a wash cloth). Pat it dry gently and then allow it to air dry for 15 to 20 min before applying a small amount of aquaphor.

I got my ditch tattooed the other day and on the artist's suggestion I iced it for about an hour after I got home and it was GREAT. There was basically no swelling at all. Now that I've tried it I can't believe that I haven't done it before because it seems obvious, but yeah, I'm going to ice tricky spots from now on.

@Graeme - Oooh, I usually ice to deal with the itchies and some swelling the following day. I'm going to do this for the first 24 hours next time, see how that goes. I usually swell up very very badly. Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome! Put the icepack over the bandage before washing itfor around an hour and see how it works. I always find this stuff difficult to compare to my other experiences because you're dealing with different artists, session length, detail of tattoo, difference in general health and physical condition, etc., etc., etc., but my other ditch swelled up like crazy and while this one is somewhat bruised there hasn't been much swelling at all, it's great.

I got my ditch tattooed the other day and on the artist's suggestion I iced it for about an hour after I got home and it was GREAT. There was basically no swelling at all. Now that I've tried it I can't believe that I haven't done it before because it seems obvious, but yeah, I'm going to ice tricky spots from now on.

Fuck. After all these years, after all the tattooing, it took me long enough to work out the ice cold cider in the hot shower trick, but never even thought about an ice pack. Your right, how obvious.

I'm getting tattooed this Sunday. I'm gonna give this a shot straight after the cider/ shower treatment. Thanks

Fuck. After all these years, after all the tattooing, it took me long enough to work out the ice cold cider in the hot shower trick, but never even thought about an ice pack.

What's the cider trick? Are you literally just drinking a cold cider in a hot shower, or is there something more technical going on?

What's the cider trick? Are you literally just drinking a cold cider in a hot shower, or is there something more technical going on?

Even if it isn't, I'm taking a note here, and gonna tote an ice cold cider into the shower when I wake up Saturday morning. I'm pretty much destroyed after late night sessions anyway - may as well wake up and self-medicate straight away!

I was browsing Clark North's website today and found these after care instructions interesting:

"-Also lightly spritz or splash it with rubbing alcohol; 91% ~3 times a day for the first 3 days, this kills any possible germs that you may pick up during the day in every day life, it keeps it dry and it keeps the scab shallow.

(it helps keep the skin dry by displacing other moistures: a wet scab grows deeper down into the skin."

AFTER CARE - Clark North Tattoo & Art - Las Vegas

Awesome @SeeSea! I'm stoked you find the therapeutic benifits behind this method

Can I ask what flavour beverage you opted for please?

I'm heading up this morning to share a couple of Coopers Pale Ales with old mate, before we drill shark on back of neck, then home for a pint of Bulmers Pear in hot shower.

I'm excited to say the least, oh, and I pick up a new tattoo. Bonus.

Awesome @SeeSea! I'm stoked you find the therapeutic benifits behind this method ��

Can I ask what flavour beverage you opted for please?

Angry Orchard. A crisp morning blend. :D Actually, I think I'll have another. I believe we get Bulmers as Magners in the US. I know I've had it somewhere along the line but there are several flavors and I don't think we can get them all.

I'm heading up this morning to share a couple of Coopers Pale Ales with old mate, before we drill shark on back of neck, then home for a pint of Bulmers Pear in hot shower.

I'm excited to say the least, oh, and I pick up a new tattoo. Bonus.

Awesome! Travel fun and good times to be had. Thumbs up on the shark - pictures please.

Cool. Shark slam as posted in lowdown.

A combo of everything today included,

Shit Maccas breakfast, ice cold pale ale pre tattoo (with tattooer of course), warm pat down post tattoo, ice cold cider/ very warm shower hand washed down with a fragrant free body wash, cold pack post shower.

There's no trauma here at all and can tell this will dry flake heal a treat, ready to apt background in a quick turn around.

Great combo of advice throughout this thread.

@Graeme. I got that cold pack back of neck as we speak. Mate, this is so fkn awesome. I was dreading the burned out headache. Not even. Soothing as fuck.

I still don't understand why I'd never thought of it myself or had it recommended to me before, because really it seems pretty obvious that if you have some kind of injury that's going to swell that icing it is going to help. Why should tattoos be any different?

at my old job i worked at a body shop. one of the auto-body painters got "america" tattood on his fore-arm area. since hes a painter, he obviously got paint all over his arms throughout the day.

his aftercare? he would rub lacquer-thinner over his BRAND NEW tattoo. he says it was the only way to get the clear coat off of his arm. he "hates that shit man, its all sticky and shit"