• 1 month later...

Totally agree on post tattoo cider ritual, it's awesome. I just finished a tattoo on my thigh and my artist gave me a new after care product to try, pretty weird name but kind of amazing stuff. It's kind of "runny" so easy to apply, almost no scent and I'm digging it so far (only been two days).

Sativa salve:

Dunno if I'm just lucky and heal well or if it's to do with the routine, but every time I go back to the shop I get shown around. Apparently my tattoos heal spectacularly. (It's not my immune system; I can promise you that much!)

Bandages on overnight. Everything's still sticky and slick in the morning. Hot water, scentless white dove soap, air dry. Teeny bit of unscented Aveeno lotion whenever necessary -- I'm not sure who it was on this forum who mentioned it, but the stuff with the green cap? That stuff is great. I love it. And that's it!

Ice through a plush towel if I'm swollen and hurty, I guess. I took arnica tablets for a few days before/after my first two and they seemed to swell much less, but honestly I have no idea if that was the reason why, or if it was just a consequence of where the tattoos were done.

More importantly: the hotel I've stayed at a few times in Portland serves a rich Portuguese soup called caldo verde...that stuff is magical. I imagine pho would achieve the same result. After hours of discomfort and being slightly chilly and tired with endorphin overload, rich, spicy, brothy soup is rapidly turning into my favorite form of triage.

About 1 - 2hours after getting tattooed I remove the cling film and micropore tape. I swear that fucking stuff is evil. Hurts when take it off skin. The tape not cling film. Anyway, I have tepid/lukewarm water in wash hand basin with some Johnsnon's baby body wash in it (the purple bottle). Ever so gently wash the tattoo with just my clean hands. Pat dry ever so gently with clean towel and apply Bepanthen. Apply this magic cream until healed. I wash the tattoo as above every morning. After taking initial photo after it's been unwrapped no-one sees it in the flesh until it's healed. Too many people try to touch it. Especially the ones on lower legs.

Must be doing something right because get asked to see previous work by other the tattooists in the tattoo studio. And always get complimented on how well they've healed.

Always go to fave pub in Belfast after for pizza and black coffee.

Oh, and also take 2 paracetamol that night and following morning. It seems to help with swelling.

• 2 weeks later...

Right after tattoo, I go eat a salad. I kinda change my diet for the next 3 days to eat a lot of fruits, raw veggies (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, spinach), and protein (eggs, yogurt, nuts, fish, chicken), while drinking a ton of water. I try to cut out sodium and oil as much as possible too, and I try to avoid drinking and smoking for about 3 days too. I'm not sure if it actually helps, but would like to think so!

In terms of aftercare, I leave the bandage on for at least 5 hours and wash. Aquaphor for 2-3 days, and then Aveeno.

I sat for 7 solid hours for my last in November. I can only speak for myself, but I was so surprised by my healing of this one. I kept the wrap on for about 3 hours and wiped it down with baby wipes as recommended by my artist (he was using these throughout the entire process). I put a very thin coat of Bepanthen on and left it. I did this for about 4/5 days (washing properly with soap once a day), before switching to my normal moisturiser. I flaked on about day 2 and peeled very lightly (like sunburn) on about days 4-6. After that it was done. My other tattoos didn't heal half as well. I don't know if it was the artist's technique, the baby wipes or my body, but it was easy to manage.

I have a whacked immune system. It's too good, so goes on the offensive and attacks me on a daily basis (I get massive swellings from something as simple as a paper cut, and don't get me started on a virus, ugh!). Thankfully it's not been aggravated by the tattoo process which is madness. I'm also allergic to NSAIDs, so it's a good job I don't swell too badly!

I think every artist in the world will have a slightly different after care advice. I followed mines to a T and all three have turned out looking good. My after care was this:

After leaving the studio, my newly done tattoo was covered and I left this on for about 2-3 hours. After removing the cover I washed it with non-scented soap and warm water...not hot. After rinsing off the soap (I did not put my new tattoo under running water, I sprinkled water on til the soap was all gone) I patted it dry with a clean cloth I used specifically for this throughout the healing process and left it to air dry for a few moments. Then I applied a small bit of Bepanthem. I did this 3 times a day for the first 5 days or so, then I cut it down to twice a day for the next 4/5 days or so. After that, I stopped washing it and simply used the Bepanthem twice a day for the next 4/5 days. After those days had passed I stopped the Bepanthem and used non-scented lotion twice a day for a while til I only started using the lotion once a day.

During this I wore lose clothing and did no swimming. It's best to shower whilst you have a healing tattoo then take a bath cause its best not to soak the tattoo as this can draw ink out. All my tattoos healed well and quickly, though my latest one did need a touch up and perhaps the one on my calf will need one in a few years times but this is normal and much more common with all black tattoos.

I got my back, cheeks and thigh lined in at the start of the month. We didn't even wrap it, just threw on my shirt and long johns on afterward, good to go. Showered the next morning. I used these little packets of disinfectant ointment (?) that my tattooer gave me for 2 days following. I haven't done anything else to the tattoo aside from stare at it and keep up my training regiment, keep the body healthy. Literally did nothing else and it has healed perfectly. My tattooer has his machine tuned just right and the pressure is firm and consistent so the lines aren't going anywhere once they are in. There was no mess on the table aside from my sweat...cleanest tattoo I've ever received. Can't wait to start the shading in January...see what kind of mystery TheGangOfOne has in store for me hehe

Ok, now I'm ready to burn off the lines, going to Mexico for New Years jajaja