my latest got tattooed on Friday, I kept it wrapped til tuesday and after i took the wrap off within a day it peeled and now its at the really itchy stage. easiest heal i have ever had since the last debacle

I've heard people say they've had good success with this method. I've got a couple of questions though... do you put on any lotion or ointment before each wrap or are you dry wrapping? Also, when it's wrapped (even dry) it's obviously causing heat build up and causes the tattoo to sweat and subsequently the wrap traps this extra moisture...isn't sweat and moisture bad for tattoo healing? I dry wrapped for an extra day with my last tattoo, after a few hours the tattoo had become sweaty and slimey and was a mess. It healed well but after seeing that I decided not to wrap it any more.

@Wedge personally i just dry wrap the tattoo, however i've heard that some people do use ointment and moisturiser. Also having cling film or any other bandage on will cause heat build up/moisture/sweat but I think that moisture on a tattoo isn't such a huge deal over the first two or three days as long as its washed regularly to prevent as much bacteria etc building up, it only becomes a problem when a scab has formed and the moisture softens the scab and makes the scab easier to detach. I could be completely wrong with this but the re-wrapping process has definitely led to easier and less scabby tattoo heals for me. However i've seen people who don't re-wrap and their tattoos heal just as quickly so it's all down to your own body and how your own skin heals i guess.

dry wrap. no lotion and i didnt dry the tattoo out fully before wrapping either. wasnt too sweaty, i'm in scotland, its winter ... I only stopped wrapping when the tape started ripping into my skin , the tattoo is healed now but the tape marks are not ... I dont think moisture is bad - the theory is that wet healing reduces scabs , dry healing encourages them. most hospitals encourage wet healing of wounds as it reduces scarring, same idea.

Main thing you need to be wary of is heat + plastic wrap is a great place for bacteria to thrive so change it often and keep it clean ...

... I dont think moisture is bad - the theory is that wet healing reduces scabs , dry healing encourages them. most hospitals encourage wet healing of wounds as it reduces scarring, same idea.

That's interesting Gregor. I know that they keep burns wrapped for quite some time in hospital and prefer them to wet heal. I just assume that the moisture and the greenhouse conditions of a plastic wrap encourages the skin to leech ink out.

I take the wrap off once I get home. Wash the tattoo with hot water and soap until it stops weeping and then I wash it twice a day after that. I don't put anything on it at all. My tattoos all look as bright and colourful as the day I got them. Although my oldest is only just under 4 years old

this is what i have done with my2 proffesional tattoos

I take the wrap off once I get home. Wash the tattoo with hot water and soap until it stops weeping and then I wash it twice a day after that. I don't put anything on it at all. My tattoos all look as bright and colourful as the day I got them. Although my oldest is only just under 4 years old

i do something similar for my tattoos. i take the bandage of immediately when i get in and do a really hot water soak for 5-10 minutes then wash with cold water. then nothing for two days then hand lotion for the following week. i never have a problem. ok maybe its not that similar

• 1 month later...

My routine is something like this:

Remove bandage once I get home or before going to bed at night. Wash and clean the gunk in hot shower with soap that I use everyday (usually it's the plain Dove). Dry up gently with clean towel. Let it dry for a while and use a thin layer of ointment (I use Polysporin). Then the next morning I do the same thing. Wash it again at night but without the ointment. Usually the next day or so it starts to flake, so then I'll use a fragrance free lotion (Aveeno seems to work fine for me) to make the tattoo not dry up too much after I get out of the shower. Same process until it's all healed up (usually takes me a week or so and it's pretty much healed).

I've had tattoos by three different tattooers now and there is something that makes me wonder ever since I had one that healed a little rough. I thought my routine was okay, but now I'm not quite sure.

When the tattoo starts to flake, usually I keep on washing gently with soap. Should I? Most of the time, the flakes comes off easily so it's fine but sometimes, they aren't and once I get out of the shower the flakes that didn't come out by themselves become scabs. Do any of you have suggestions on that matter?

My fastest and best healing I have ever had was with my last session, ended up loosing almost zero color and it was all healed up in about a week and a half. When I got home I washed it with very warm to hot water. Washed it 4-6 times a day and applied aquaphora to it at all time for the first 4 days, then switched to cleaning it 4-6 times a day and just using regular lotion after that, reapplying a decent amount of lotion to it the second it felt scaly. I actually use more lotion now because I realized that my clothes were soaking up a decent amount of the thin layers I've used before.

Also I try to keep clothing off the tattoo whenever I can.

I know there are a lot of suggestions in this thread, but I want to post this to hopefully help someone else and for my own future reference. I borrowed from a lot of previous ideas in this thread and had the best healing I have ever had. I tend not to heal line work so well, and this last session had a little line work plus shading/coloring.

I took the bandage off about 2 hours after I got home. I washed the tattoo well with warm water and Dove soap. I then ran cold water over the tattoo to help close the pores quickly and let it air dry. I did not put anything on it at all for the first 24 hours. I washed it again 3 times per day with warm water, Dove soap, and ran cold water over it, patted it dry with a clean paper towel, and used Aquaphor for about the next 3-4 days, or until it began to flake a lot. I used Aquaphor for that first day with a lot of flaking, making sure to dab it on lightly, not rubbing it in. I then switched to green top Aveeno, until the flaking was gone which was about another 3-4 days. After 1 week or so, I would switch between putting Aveeno, Aquaphor, and nothing on the tattoo. I also made sure not to get it wet until the end of the shower. I had very little itching with this process, and like I said, it was probably the best healing I have had so far.

The things I did different this time were 1. put nothing on at all the first 24 hrs. I just let my body begin the healing process on it's own. 2. run cold water over the tattoo after washing to close up the pores. 3. I used Aquaphor. This stuff is good shit.

I also took some tips from the nutrition thread pre tattoo. I ate a big PB and J sandwich before, and I took a Snickers bar and some Gatorade with me. I didn't need the snickers, the session was only 2 hours, but I drank the Gatorade half way through. I should note this tattoo was on my forearm, so it was not really a difficult spot, but all in all this was probably the best tattoo experience I have had.

Whoa...some seriously serious ways to care for a tattoo!

Okay...I've got tattoos that are around 30-35 years old, and still look pretty damn good, color is bright, lines are crisp, all like that. I'm looking at a cover-up on my left forearm that Dale Grande did in 1984, and it looks about good as new. The main color is a light purple, and we were both a bit worried that it might fade-out with time. Hasn't happened.

So here is the aftercare recommended at the time: Leave the bandage on overnight, then remove and shower. Use unscented lotion sparingly to keep the tattoo from drying out. Don't pick the scabs. Period.

Actually, at the time I got that cover-up, the hot ticket for tattoo healing was, believe it or not, Preparation H. Keeps the tat a little moist, and eliminates the swelling. When I got the outlining done for my sleeve, I flew to Mexico the next morning, way the hell up in the mountains, and my arm didn't appreciate the sudden change from -10F to 100F...swole up like a balloon. Hit the local Pharmacia, got some Preparation H, and within an hour all was well again.

I've never used any of the new stuff, got my last work done a year ago, and just used plain old Dial to shower with, and Bacitracyn to keep it from getting dry enoug to crack. Still seems to work.

So whatever works for you! Just remember, you don't have to re-invent the wheel every time you get ink done.

(and make sure it's a 13 and not a 31)

• 1 month later...

This is our shops healing instructions.

There are many different theories on aftercare for tattoos. We always recommend you follow the instructions of the artist that did your tattoo. They are, after all, the ones responsible for touch ups and many artists will not guarantee their work if you don't follow their instructions.

These are the instructions we here at Cherry Blossom give to our clients:

Leave bandage on for couple hours

Wash your tattoo with cool soap and water. Make sure you get all the blood and ointment off.

Let the tattoo air dry for 15-20 minutes.

Apply a very thin layer of Aquaphor. Rub it until it

goes completely away. There should be no shine.

You will know to apply more when the tattoo

feels tight. If it doesn’t feel tight do not apply

more Aquaphor.

Do Not pick or scratch your new tattoo.

Do Not soak your tattoo in water. No swimming, hot tubs

or baths. Showers are fine, just don’t soak it.

Keep the tattoo out of the sun until the return of

Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

I take multivits as I am a weak ass vegetarian. I also take ibuprofen and antihistamines till the redness goes. I got force lightening added to me sw skulls last wednesday and they are nearly healed and i didnt really do anything just wash regularly. I think my previous healing problems were due to using harsh soap.

• 1 month later...

I leave the bandage on as long as I can. After that, I wash with hibiclens and let it air dry. If I'm about to go to bed, I use Living Essentials Frankincense essential oil. I'm pretty much healed in a day or two. I still use Aquaphor for the first week and keep using the hibiclens.

The best healing results from my experience:

1. take the bandage off 4~5 hours post-tattoo

2. wash all the gunk off with luke warm water and mild soap

3. Dry heal for a couple days

4. Take a shower every morning and clean 'er off. Pat dry off the healing tattoo and let it dry heal.

5. usually by Day 5 the skin will have a 'shed' and lightly flake off in the shower. don't pick the flakes off dummy!

4. after the major 'shedding' i use either vaseline or glycomed brand unscented lotions (pea drop) to lubricate

Lubriderm...used generous amounts to heal my first couple of tattoos. Now it just itches and burns if it goes anywhere near a healing or healed tattoo. Lubriderm contains lanolin, which comes from sheep wool. Don't recommend it.

There are a lot of variables as to the trauma of getting a tattoo. I've had some tattoos go through the healing process twice and some that were healed in three days. No rhyme or reason to any of it as far as I can tell. But, I have setled into a workable healing routine.

1 Don't muck with it til the next morning.

2 Wash it in the shower

3 Let it dry out all day (there should still be plenty of moisture in it from the day before)

4 Following morning, shower wash it and

5 Start using lotion. (Don't use lotion on it before it's had at least a good 24 hours to dry out)

I know this doesn't sound like 'enough' but it works for me. I am not a particularly hairy person, I don't sweat a lot, and I am not doing manual labor outside, so I am generally clean anyway. Overwashing it only re-traumatizes the area -- and only enough lotion to keep it from getting too dry and 'cracking'.

• 5 months later...

What works for me may not work for you. Having several tattoos I have always applied original Noxema and rinsed completely to cleanse for the first 3 days in the shower instead of using soap. After 3 days of healing, I then use original Noxema (in the tub container), add a few drops of water and apply directly until the skin is restored.

My color stays beautiful and it I would like to believe it heals a bit quicker.

• 3 weeks later...

Just adding my routine for no real reason...

Leave the plastic wrap on until the evening, and then take it off in the shower. Don't spray high-pressure water directly on it, obviously, and usually I'll put soap on a part of the body north of the tattoo, and then lightly rub the soap in with my hand.

Get out of the shower, and let it drip dry, or pat it dry with a clean towel. I usually sit around for an hour or so before I do anything else. Then I put a THIN layer of Aquaphor on it. Before I go to sleep, I wrap it lightly in plastic wrap, just for the first night. Then I remove that plastic in the shower the next day, put on Aquaphor, and then do my best to keep it clean during the day, wear loose clothing over it, etc...

Then at night I shower (so I'll shower twice in one day for the first few days of a new tattoo, even if I normally only shower once a day), and then more Aquaphor before bed. So in total I put Aquaphor on it twice a day for 3 days. After that I use unscented Lubriderm. I apply it more liberally than I would with Aquaphor, as it "evaporates" quicker. I do this for about 2 weeks, even if it seems to me that the tattoo is basically healed. And... that's it! Never had any problems with this method.

Thought this wasn't worth starting a new thread for, and a search didn't yield much, soo...

Ladies (and dudes with boobs?): any tips for healing an area usually in contact with a bra?

I'm going in on Thursday to get a big-ish piece on my sternum/ribcage (the centre of my chest and under my boobs). For the rest of the day I'll be right to chill at home bra-less, but the next evening I have work. Should I re-wrap to avoid too much rubbing? Go with one of those awkward stick-on whatsits with no band? Any advice would be great.